Contribute
Register

tonymacx86's Haswell mATX: GA-Z87MX-D3H - i7-4770K - HD 4600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok - so my computer is freezing up randomly whether I turn the XMP on or off... I had this problem since Mavericks and I never remembered to post it. My RAM is here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RFBIUU/. It has lower timing so it's faster than the one used in this build (9-9-9-24), and I used it since I had it in another computer. Is there a reason that it's freezing up? If it's not the RAM, does anyone know why it's freezing up? Sorry for filling up the last couple pages with questions :|

*Edit: Solution is here:
FIRST check if your ram is into compatibility list from Gigabyte
Mine was, but yours may not be
SECOND if it's not, try removing 2 ram sticks and check if freezes still occur... if they're not, get rid of that ram and get a pair of 8gb sticks from the tested Gigabyte list.

i had similar issues, and after seeing no freezes using 2 sticks i sent back 4x kit for a 2x kit (2x8gb GSkill ram kit, checked my mobo directly from vendor site.
from that time on, my hackintosh has never crashed anymore.
My problem was I had 4x4GB sticks

Thanks,
HTM

Last edited:
Ok - so my computer is freezing up randomly whether I turn the XMP on or off... I had this problem since Mavericks and I never remembered to post it. My RAM is here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RFBIUU/. It has lower timing so it's faster than the one used in this build (9-9-9-24), and I used it since I had it in another computer. Is there a reason that it's freezing up? If it's not the RAM, does anyone know why it's freezing up? Sorry for filling up the last couple pages with questions :|

Thanks,
HTM
Try clover, that solved the freezes for me

Thanks,
HTM

FIRST check if your ram is into compatibility list from Gigabyte
SECOND if it's not, try removing 2 ram sticks and check if freezes still occur... if they're not, get rid of that ram and get a pair of 8gb sticks from the tested Gigabyte list.

i had similar issues, and after seeing no freezes using 2 sticks i sent back 4x kit for a 2x kit (2x8gb GSkill ram kit, checked my mobo directly from vendor site.
from that time on, my hackintosh has never crashed anymore.

I initially was getting the "couldn't find mach_kernel" error, but was able to use the F12 and boot from BIOS with -x to get things updating (you have to do that twice).

Now I boot into Yosemite no problems, except Sound (after updating with MB settings for ALC892)

edit: sound works - had to make sure I was selecting the proper output.

imessage cannot connect to Apple - no messages - just an endless circle...but now I see that is to be expected using Chimera. <sigh> I guess I'll have to wait for a Clover tutorial that is simple enough for my simple mind.

I updated my Cover install on my hacintosh that has the same specs as this thread and it was not good. i had problems with USB devices not showing once Yosemite loaded. Then it would sit and hang for a few minutes. Hooking up an Apple keyboard and mouse and unplugging unrecognized devices helped. Sound would hiss once logged in. Trying different drivers and such was no help.

Luckily I had backed everything up. So I decided to start fresh. Downloaded Yosemite and used Unibeast and followed the guide on this site. All worked great till I got the boot0 error. Fixed that in terminal from the Unibeast USB stick. Again it works great. Using migration assistant I've loaded in my previous user account. So far it's fkawless!

Ill post updates if anything changes!

Thanks so much to everybody on this site for providing the resources and community to support the Hacintosh community!

Now I boot into Yosemite no problems, except Sound (after updating with MB settings for ALC892)
edit: sound works - had to make sure I was selecting the proper output.
How did you get your sound working? Do you have an HDAEnabler kext in S/L/E? Is it better for me to just do a fresh yosemite install and restore files from time machine/"migrate?"

Thanks,
HTM

How did you get your sound working? Do you have an HDAEnabler kext in S/L/E? Is it better for me to just do a fresh yosemite install and restore files from time machine/"migrate?"

Thanks,
HTM

I think backing up your install with say Carbon Copy Cloner before you do any sweeping changes is a good idea. At the very least you have the security that your previous setup is preserved and safe. Then reformatting and starting fresh lets you have a clean slate. Tabula Rasa!!

Thanks,
HTM

I did nothing other than run MultiBeast with the ACL892 options (following the Tonymac guide). I thought it wasn't working, but I started a video, and just played with the input/outputs in system preferences until I heard it.

I have no HDAEnabler kexts.

As far as the fresh install goes, I have no idea. I do know that regardless, iMessage will not work using Chimera (from what I've read). Best of luck.

well, this is odd.

I downloaded the newest Clover installer, and also the Clover Configurator. I thought I was just installing the app for the installer, but unknowingly installed Clover, as when I went to a reboot I was met with Clover instead of Chimera. I went ahead and said boot, and Yosemite loaded (apparently) perfectly fine.

What's more, I think iMessage will work, as I get the customer code to call in. The other time this happened, iMessage was working immediately after talking with them. I'll know in the morning.
Right now I'm afraid to touch anything. the only downside right now is there is no bluetooth for the mouse on the clover screen - I have to use a USB keyboard to select the boot.

Maybe this clover thing isn't so bad.

update: I accidentally installed Clover bootloader on my machine. When the machine boots, I get the clover screen, and my bluetooth devices do not work. I select boot with a USB keyboard, and it loads Yosemite with no problems, and as far as I can tell, everything works: internet, sound, iMessage (after a call to Apple), mail, etc.

My question is, should I go to "Post-installation" part of the Clover guide now, or just leave well enough alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back