Contribute
Register

tonymacx86's Haswell mATX: GA-Z87MX-D3H - i7-4770K - HD 4600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Stork,

First of all, thank you very very much for the reply. I've been VERY busy last weeks playing around Brazil in a tour. Because of that I was unable to reply.

Let's go.

My configs are:

MEM: CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 (2x 8GB)
HD: MZ-7TE250BW - BOX Samsung EVO 250GB
HD 2 and 3: WD10EZEX - OEM
PS: CS 550M (CP-9020076-WW) - BOX
CASE: Carbide 300R (CC-9011014-WW) - BOX
WIFI: TL-WDN4800 - BOX

I noted all this before buying, and checked the building guide at the time I did.

In the first post I forgot to mention that there is NO ETHERTNET adapter in my Network Preferences. When I realized that kind of problem with the Wi-Fi, the first thing I thougt was to connect to the router via ethernet cable.

About MultiBeast config, I didn't save the configs. :banghead:

I looked around and couldn't find a way to "detect" what is installed. But I remember I followed the instructions in this post, and after, I started solving problems by reading what other users did, specially in this post!

Is there any way I can find my MultiBeast settings?!

The MB installed in my system is 6.5.0 (1), as I could find in MB's help section.

Thanks again, Stork! I read so many times your posts all around helping everybody and now you're helping me! Thank you VERY much! :thumbup:

Gui

elitaozao,
Let's try to get your Ethernet working first. Use MultiBeast to just (re)install the Ethernet driver. If you have installed Mavericks, use MultiBeast for Mavericks (v6.5); if you have installed Yosemite, use MultiBeast for Yosemite (v7.2+).
Drivers > Network > Intel > AppleIntelE1000e​
After MultiBeast finishes installing the Ethernet driver, turn off your WiFi either from the top Menu WiFi (symbol) drop down menu or in the Network System Preference pane. Shutdown your computer and plug in your Ethernet cable.

Boot the computer. Now, go into the Network Pane and add the Ethernet if it's not showing in the Network pane window. It's important that the Ethernet is designated as en0. If not and your WiFi is listed as en0, delete the WiFi, close out the Network pane and reboot.

Upon reaching the Desktop, open the Network pane to confirm that the Ethernet is en0 now. Run the computer using the Ethernet connection for a while to see if you have any freezes.

Report back on your progress. Good luck!

Stork,

At the network drivers in MB 6.5 (I use Mavericks), it shows 4 options of AppleIntelE1000e, each one with a version after:

AppleIntelE1000e v2.4.14
AppleIntelE1000e v2.5.4d
AppleIntelE1000e v3.0.4.1a
AppleIntelE1000e v3.1.0

Which one I choose?!

Thanks again,

Gui

Stork,

At the network drivers in MB 6.5 (I use Mavericks), it shows 4 options of AppleIntelE1000e, each one with a version after:

AppleIntelE1000e v2.4.14
AppleIntelE1000e v2.5.4d
AppleIntelE1000e v3.0.4.1a
AppleIntelE1000e v3.1.0

Which one I choose?!

Thanks again,

Gui
Good question. Long story short...go with the newest one first, and, if there are problems, try the next newest one, etc. Four versions are kept in MultiBeast for that reason.

Tonymacx86 used v2.4.14 for his Mavericks configuration (see original post). Since then, there have been updates.

Just to add information, I checked in "ifconfig" and en0 is the Wi-Fi for sure, because when it's turned off, it shows "status: inactive". When I turn it on, it shows "status: active".

Also, en1 for me is my mobile phone, tethering via USB, as I said... the way I can use internet... :/

View attachment ifconfig.tiff

View attachment network pane add.tiff

Finally got around to updating to BIOS F7. Man! The F7 sure makes a difference with Haswell stability.

I also replaced my Corsair Vengeance (finned) memory with a Crucial Ballistic Tactical 2x8GB set which also a bunch of minor issues I was having. For some reason, even though memory is listed in the motherboard's Memory Support List, not all of them work well with the Gigabyte BIOS and/or Apple's OS X for the Haswell based systems.

I have been having issues with random freezes for a few months now in 10.9 and 10.10 with the following setup:

Gigabyte Z87MX-D3H
i7 4770K
2x 8Gb Corsair Vengeance CML16GX3M2A1600C10
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2Gb
Corsair HX650

Installation done following Tonymac's 10.10 guide, BIOS is configured by default and X.M.P. Memory Profile set to Profile1.

The problem I have is that I have random freezes without (apparently) any kernel panic, usually you can see the console message just for a second and then disappear, sometimes you just can't see anything, just the frozen screen, and sometimes the message stay in the screen.

Usually I can pop the error just by turning on my hackintosh and leave it a few minutes in the login screen, then log in and it automatically freezes.

I have read a lot through this forums and tried almost everything, swapping memory slots, enabling and disabling X.M.P profiles, update BIOS to F7 and F8c (beta), and set PCIe Slot to Gen2, even bought a new graphics card... I checked my memory sticks with memtest86 and they are ok.

What haven't I tried yet? Update BIOS to modified version F5 (because when I try to flash it through QFLASH I have an error of outdated version and it don't let me flash it) and install Clover (I read that some folks solve it with Clover but I don't feel very confidant with my skills installing Clover...).

A couple of days ago I changed memory mode to "Stable" in BIOS and reduced the freezes to almost nothing so, maybe as Stork says, can we definitely say that the freezing problem is memory based?

Any thoughts on what memory sticks should I buy to have this setup running flawlessly for once for all? I thought that the ones I have were 100% compatible, as I bought them directly from the amazon link in the buyer's guide...

Yoru,
You're experiencing what is being called as the "Haswell Freeze." This usually results from incompatible memory and/or PSU. The good news is that Corsair states your PSU is Haswell "compatible." The bad news is that your memory is not listed on the the Gigabyte Z87MX's Memory Support List (Gigabyte's Z87MX web page,download tab) and is probably the cause of your freeze.

However, I should point out that the "Haswell Freezes" appears to be manufacturer make/model # dependent - not all of a memory manufacturer's line. So, the best way of making sure memory is Haswell compatible is to make sure your memory is listed on the motherboard's Memory Support List. The memory listed in the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide are on most motherboard manufacturers memory support list for the motherboards in the Buyer's Guide list. (Check first, though.) I recommend the Crucial Ballistix Tactical memory set.

Before you run out and buy new memory, set X.M.P = Disable and see if the system will still freeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back