Contribute
Register

tonymacx86's Haswell mATX: GA-Z87MX-D3H - i7-4770K - HD 4600

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is that you will only have a single extra folder on one disk. What guide did you follow? Was it this one?
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-0-os-x-10-8-5-using-tonymacx86-tool-set.html

Not exactly, i followed this video, but as far i can see is the same method.

Anyway, i`ve been trying the tony fix, for now i have the hole night of uptime and almost 2 hours actually using it. No freezes yet.

But yesterday, i got a blue screen on windows saying something about MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, maybe my memory sticks are not 100% healthy at all, i`m gonna try a mem test later.

My summary: Mavericks installed fine, used MultiBeast 6.1, OS froze randomly with 4x4GB sticks. Flashed F5 Mod bios with no help, then removed 2 sticks of ram, had a near 2 day uptime with no freezes.

Freezing may be caused by using XMP RAM profile in UEFI and Generate cstates in boot.plist.

Check /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist, and set the following lines:

<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>No</string>

Hope this helps! :thumbup:

Put my other 2 sticks in, set GeneralCStates to No, Set UseKernelCache to No per Stork's post here.
Still freezes (seemingly quicker.) XMP = Profile1 through all of this (tried disabling it before I took out 2 sticks, didn't help).

Help me TobyMacCommunity, you're my only hope. :cry:

Hmmmm, well this problems seems to point back to PSU Haswell compatibility. Is your PSUs on this compatibility list?

The big Haswell PSU compatibility list

I bring this up because tonymacx86 hasn't had a freeze problem, IIRC. His build description uses the:
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Semi Modular High Performance Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

Sorry for your freezing issues- it could be any number of things unfortunately. A few options: remove XMP mode, disable IGP if you're using a discrete card, and only use 1 matching RAM set.

my b85m-d3h had theses freezes 2. I replaced both with asus and msi mobos and have had no freezing since in the threads it seems to be a GA issue only

This is what OCZ says about my specific Power Supply and Haswell:
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...o-with-Haswell... anyone believe them? lol

-- thoughts?

This is exactly my power supply too. I had some problems going back from sleep, it just froze in sleep mode and i had to turn it off. So i turned off computer sleep (only display sleeps now), but i don`t know if it was the the memories that froze it while in sleep. It`s a lot of things to test, as tony said, so many variables.

Im using XMP and the CStates=No fix for now, and for 6 hours it didn`t freeze at all, the only odd thing that happened twice is that the computer hanged for about 4 seconds randomly, but it was different from the freeze cause i could move the cursor and all the actions that i did when it was frozen was executed when it got back.

Tonight i`m gonna do a mem test.

XMP = Profile1 through all of this (tried disabling it before I took out 2 sticks, didn't help).

It's not clear to me from this whether you tried setting the XMP memory setting to the default, 1333 MHz. For me, once I did this (disabling Profile1), the system has been rock solid since - and it has been on for weeks now (I don't sleep this one). This is the only setting I have different from the instructions in this thread.

Apologies if I misunderstood your post, but you may want to try the various settings with this memory speed. Personally, I need the stability more than any increase in speed, and I don't want to spend the time/risk with a new beta BIOS firmware.

...Personally, I need the stability more than any increase in speed, and I don't want to spend the time/risk with a new beta BIOS firmware.
Concur! :thumbup:

BTW, what System Definition are you using? MacPro3,1 which is the MultiBeast default SysDef? The reason I ask is because WildWillow has freezing on his Z87-OC which went away when he changed his SysDef to iMac14,2 (see here).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back