Contribute
Register

tonymacx86 Build - GA-H55N-USB3 - Core i3-530 (Mini-ITX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
tredstone said:
Really interested in building this setup... can someone recommend a compatible case but in silver/aluminum?

If you want to spend a bit more- they can be had. Lian li makes some nice aluminum high end cases- don't think they come with powersupply though.

I'm brand new to this, I just built nearly the same system...

GA-H55N-USB3 (F5 BIOS)
INTEL CORE i3 540
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 1333MHz (PC3-10666) 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel Kit (F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL)
Zotac GT240 1GB DDR-5 PCI-E Video Card (ZT-20406-10L)
OCZ 50GB SSD
ASUS BR-04B2T BD-ROM/DVD/CD
OSX 10.6.3 RETAIL

I've read the guides, setup the bios as shown, I boot into iboot, put in my OSX disc, press F5, OSX disc appears, I hit ENTER...

It goes to a white screen with the Apple Logo, stays there for quite awhile, then a pale blue screen for ages, then the computer turns off.

I've tried safe mode and it's the same thing.

This is as far as I've gotten, can anyone please help me?

SOLVED!

The problem was the ASUS BR-04B2T Black BD-ROM 4x Blu-ray 8x DVD 32x CD-RW Read SATA OEM, I went back to the store and exchanged it for the Sony Optiarc AD-7260S from the hardware wiki http://www.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.ph ... e_Database

System is running 99.9%... there's one small thing, every now and then when I power on or restart, the keyboard and mouse don't come on and OSX takes a really long time to boot and when it does I can't do anything since the mouse and keyboard aren't working. I have to shutdown the system and turn it back on again and the next time it boots up quickly with mouse and keyboard and everything runs perfectly. It's a small nuisance that I can live with but I'd like to know if anyone has a solution for this because it's annoying when I wanna showoff my new hackintosh to my friends and it doesn't work unless I turn it on, off, and on. ;P

Thanks tonymacx86 for the build!

Hello, it's my first time to post on this forum.
First of all, I'd like to say thank you so much to Tony, MacMan, and all pioneers.

I just built up my own, similar one as follows,

Case : Apex MI-008 (Mini-ITX)
MB : GA-H55N-USB3 (F5 BIOS)
CPU : Intel Core i5-760 2.8Ghz
Cooler : Silverstone NT07-1156 90mm (Retail didn't fit!!)
Memory : G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333MHz 4GB x 2
GPU : EVGA GeForce GT 240 512MB 128-bit DDR5
PSU : Silverstone ST45SF 450W SFX12V
Optical : Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner SATA AD-7261S-0B
HDD : Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1TB 7200 RPM SATA2
FAN : Silverstone FM121 120mm Case Fan (2,500rpm)

My intention was to build quad core HackMini for photo editing work with Photoshop but smaller than SB05/06 so this case or Thermaltake one were only options. With this case, i5's retail cooler didn't fit. Silverstone lower profile one barely fitted.

I was concerned about stock 250W psu came with the case and swapped with Siverstone SFX 450W psu to get ready for future improvement like overclocking & better graphic card with sub power.

Boot via iBoot, updated 10.6.6 then User DSDT and necessary kexts.
Working: Full Graphic Incl. HDMI video, ethernet, audio, USB3, full 8GB memory,
Need to work on: Sleep for 10.6.6 and HDMI audio
Geekbench2 Score is 6665 without overclocking which sounds reasonable, almost same score as 27 inch iMac with i5 quad core.

Thanks again, tonymacx86!!

FOCTOBER said:
System is running 99.9%... there's one small thing, every now and then when I power on or restart, the keyboard and mouse don't come on and OSX takes a really long time to boot and when it does I can't do anything since the mouse and keyboard aren't working. I have to shutdown the system and turn it back on again and the next time it boots up quickly with mouse and keyboard and everything runs perfectly.

The solution is to use Lnx2Mac's Realtek Ethernet kext- believe it or not the official Realtek kext causes this issue. ;)

Ok, I learned my lesson. Using the GA-H55N-USB3 - Core i3-530 - GT 480 was my second build. My first one was with an Asus board which works great and was pretty easy to get up and running with no issues. This build was a complete nightmare because I did not read all the posts on the forum. After putting my mini together I was so excited about having a small machine hooked up to my Yamaha keyboard which resides in my living room. No deal. Everything worked ok with the iboot disk until I upgraded to 10.6.6. Lost all drivers. Eventually, I got it to boot without Iboot but the network card was unreliable, sometimes it would take forever to boot and often it locked. Tried several new installs to no avail and downloaded the realtek drivers for the NIC which made things worse. Protools just crashed. I finally set up WIN 7 on the second drive. Works beautifully. Then I started reading through the post and found out the the problem was the NIC card driver. Downloaded the Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx Driver and ALL problems were solved. It boots fast, the NIC card works and I don't need to continually repair the boot drive and the permissions. Now I might be able to make my keyboard playing sound half decent.

Thanks TonyMac and all the contributors to this forum.

lightmanrt said:
Ok, I learned my lesson. Using the GA-H55N-USB3 - Core i3-530 - GT 480 was my second build. My first one was with an Asus board which works great and was pretty easy to get up and running with no issues. This build was a complete nightmare because I did not read all the posts on the forum. After putting my mini together I was so excited about having a small machine hooked up to my Yamaha keyboard which resides in my living room. No deal. Everything worked ok with the iboot disk until I upgraded to 10.6.6. Lost all drivers. Eventually, I got it to boot without Iboot but the network card was unreliable, sometimes it would take forever to boot and often it locked. Tried several new installs to no avail and downloaded the realtek drivers for the NIC which made things worse. Protools just crashed. I finally set up WIN 7 on the second drive. Works beautifully. Then I started reading through the post and found out the the problem was the NIC card driver. Downloaded the Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx Driver and ALL problems were solved. It boots fast, the NIC card works and I don't need to continually repair the boot drive and the permissions. Now I might be able to make my keyboard playing sound half decent.

Thanks TonyMac and all the contributors to this forum.

Great to hear that you're having success- here's a new guide that should solve most issues anyone's having with the CustoMac Mini:

CustoMac Mini Install Guide
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=11912

GA-H55N-USB3 + GT 240

Hi new here :wave:
Thanks Tony and others for all their hard work on this wonderful project.

I would like some confirmation on the GA-H55N-USB3 board running on integrated graphics, I want to know if it is capable of running YouTube videos on 1080p smoothly and mainly OSX animation such as open/minimizing windows, and etc...

Also I would like to know if it is possible to have the CD/DVD ROM hooked up temporarily during installation and remove it after, would everything work? or does it have to stay there in order for everything to work properly after the installation?

My NAS-TY MAC MINI:

GA-H55N-USB3
Intel CPU Core i3-530
3 X 1TB WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX (RAID 5)
RAM: Haven't decided yet.
Fractal Design ARRAY R2 MINI ITX NAS CASE with 300W PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back