Contribute
Register

tonymacx86 Build - GA-H55N-USB3 - Core i3-530 (Mini-ITX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi tony.
I am trying to build a similar configuration as yours (same motherboard, ram, cpu)
I got all the same hardware components except dvdrom (an LG sata) the hard drive (a maxtor) and the graphic card (I bought an ATI 5670).

I successfully partitioned the whole disk to a single partition, formatted to Mac OSX journaled file system and installed the 10.6.3 retail dvd (after having booted the pc with iboot supported).

Then I upgraded to 10.6.4 and applied latest Multibeast.
Now it boots correctly from hard drive, but I can't use the pc. :(
I tried again and again, and used also -x -f -v as a boot option.

The last line I can read before it freezes is:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

Can you kind help me to discover what is going wrong and give me an hint on how to fix it?

I haven't installed any kext (for audio, lan and video), and configured the bios (I have F5) to ignore the ATI card and to use the internal one. Needless to say, when I installed the stock 10.6.3 dvd version, except for booting with the iboot dvd, everything seemed fine..

Thanks in advance!!

I forgot.. is there any bios option I should have set?
Maybe the clue is there..

I am really desperate!! :(

Thanks again, Tony!!

trugoy said:
I forgot.. is there any bios option I should have set?
Maybe the clue is there..

I am really desperate!! :(

Thanks again, Tony!!

The bios options are the same as on the iBoot post- no difference there. I'm sure the issue is your 5670- it's not supported by OS X. If you can swap it out for one that is supported, you'll be good to go.

Hello Tony

I am doing a very similar build with the exception being the case, processor and HD. I am using the Antec ISK 310-150, the processor is an i5/760 and the HD is a Seagate 500GB Hybrid. I wanted this to be a dual boot system OSX 10.6.4 and Windows 7.

I successfully installed Windows 7 on a partition and then went to the Mac OS part of the installation. Using iBoot (nVidia) I was able to get the system to boot and upon loading the Snow Leopard disk I got an error that I have never seen before (see attached pic). I tried iBoot (supported) and got a kernal panic.

Can you help me get this system on the right track?

Here is a list on the components that I have used for this build:

Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3
Intel i5/760
Corsair DDR3 4GB
Biostar GeForce 9400GT 1GB (Low Profile)
Seagate 500GB Hybrid Drive
LiteOn DS-8A5S
Antec ISK 310-150
Low profile video card adapter kit from H.I.S.
SATA adaptor -- BYTECC 18" Sata and Slim Sata Power 7+6pin Cable, for Sata Slim OD Model SATA-XP118

Thanks in advance for any help :thumbup:

Attachments

• boot error.JPG
    boot error.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 657
Okay ... Update :thumbup:

Somehow even after I initially set my bios for AHCI it became reset to IDE. Oops :eek:

I was able to install Snow Leopard and update to 10.6.4. I used the DSDT for my MB and manually installed the Lnx2Mac's Realtek Ethernet Driver into the extensions folder. I restarted and now I have no ethernet (network) or audio.

Can anyone offer assistance to get me running?

Thanks

machuero said:
Okay ... Update :thumbup:

Somehow even after I initially set my bios for AHCI it became reset to IDE. Oops :eek:

I was able to install Snow Leopard and update to 10.6.4. I used the DSDT for my MB and manually installed the Lnx2Mac's Realtek Ethernet Driver into the extensions folder. I restarted and now I have no ethernet (network) or audio.

Can anyone offer assistance to get me running?

Thanks

Make sure your permissions are correct- if you just drag/dropped the ethernet kext into /System/Library/Extensions it will not work.

Download KextBeast, put the kext on the desktop, and install. Run MultiBeast's System Utilities as well for good measure. Then reboot. Should work after that. ;)

Thanks for the help Tony! worked like a charm :thumbup:

I still don't have audio working and I noticed that this MB uses ALC892. I don't see a selection for that in MultiBeast, is there a substitute?

might build an ITX system in the coming weeks base on this mobo.. could anyone answer the ff:

sleep / auto sleep - working?
LAN - working? 32/64bit? bonjour? etc
AUDIO - is voodoo the only solution?

or any other issues not mention above? Thanks a lot in advance for the reply...

stevedavesteve said:
Hi Tony,
I've put together a similar build to run plex through my TV specs are as follows:

i3-530
H55N-USB3
2gb Geil Value DDR3
Zotac Low profile HDMI-ready 8400GS
All in an Origen AE S10V HTPC case (very nice case, if only I could get the VFD working in OSX86)

Nearly everything is working well thanks to your great advice (again) and I will post a build log soon. However, I am experiencing one problem relating to audio that hopefully you could shed some light on.

I cannot get audio to pass through HDMI, but from my research it seems that varies from card to card. Instead I'm just using the onboard soundcard - this works fine (using VoodooHDA 0.2.1) - until the unit sleeps. Once I wake from sleep I just get crackling. Do you have any idea why this might be?

Also do you know if the optical out is supported from this board as I had considered picking up a cheap receiver.

Any advice/suggestions much appreciated
Thanks for looking :)

I used the VoodooHDA 0.2.7.0 Experimental on mine and it seems to work okay through the on board port. I haven't tried HDMI.

Does the Zotac 8400GS get hot? I went with the 9400GT and I need to consider an alternative because it is way too loud. The fan stays on full all the time (I'm assuming this is because the card does not have the proper driver kext?). I might replace my i5/760 with a i5/655k and just use on board DVI or HDMI.

The 8400GS might work for me if the heat sink keeps it reasonably cool.

stevedavesteve said:
machuero said:
I used the VoodooHDA 0.2.7.0 Experimental on mine and it seems to work okay through the on board port. I haven't tried HDMI.

Does the Zotac 8400GS get hot? I went with the 9400GT and I need to consider an alternative because it is way too loud. The fan stays on full all the time (I'm assuming this is because the card does not have the proper driver kext?). I might replace my i5/760 with a i5/655k and just use on board DVI or HDMI.

The 8400GS might work for me if the heat sink keeps it reasonably cool.

OK, I'll try 0.2.7.0 - now I just need to remember how to uninstall 0.2.1 and install the new one without reinstalling the whole system - I will understand this :)

The 8400GS is passively cooled mate - so it's silent - but the heat sink does get mighty hot (you can only touch it for a few seconds). It's obviously impacting quite a bit on my case temps. However, the i3 seems to peak around 55c max under-load (using the scythe shuriken heat sink and fan) so I'm not too worried.

Now I just need to get a quieter PSU and a cheap small SSD. This silencing game is amusing - once you shut one component up you hear another you hadn't noticed before - one confounding issue for me is also the tight space the case occupies in my entertainment unit.

I replaced my 9400 with the Zotac 8400GS yesterday and upon bootup I got a black screen (no video) and yes that thing got so hot that I pulled it immediately! Good thing they only cost $32.99. I'm guessing my only hope now is to go with a cpu that has on board graphics support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back