Contribute
Register

To SSD or not to SSD?

Do you SSD?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, well... another thing to consider is if you plan on using that SSD for anything then your performance is going to drop in half once your disk starts to fill up. I just learned that fact

Sounds like TRIM isn't enabled - otherwise there is a slow down, but cutting the performance is half is quite the exaggeration.

As for their general utility, I definitely like them for revitalizing older laptops - general speedup plus the significant boost in swapfile speed for systems that can't take any more RAM have turned two nearly useless older laptops into perfectly serviceable systems once again. For new builds RAM is so cheap a swap file should never be necessary, so that is out the door, but it is possible to configure certain data heavy i/o operations to use the ssd as a cache, so benefit for these applications exists.

I'll have to look into the rom update problem (disk erasure) and whether or not it exists on the m4 and 830 series disks - never ran into that before.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-25 at 12.07.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-25 at 12.07.35 AM.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-25 at 12.07.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-25 at 12.07.22 AM.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 163
I just bought a Vertex 4 128GB SSD and so far, I'm not impressed.
After formatting the drive and getting it loaded with the OS, they came out with a firmware update which doubles the performance of the drive, but erases all your data.

Is this an acceptable level of quality for storage these days?

I am wondering how many people out there are using SSD's and having to go through the process of cloning their drive, formatting, and then restoring their drive whenever a firmware comes out. Granted, it is great to have improved performance, but the real point of hard drives to me is that the data stays there, in tact.

When You can buy a 3TB traditional hard drive with a 5 year warranty for $149.99, and a new Vertex 4 (low end manufacturer OCZ) costs $114.99 for a measly 128GB... Is there any reason at all to get an SSD?

In addition, what am I supposed to do with a 128GB drive?
I mean to say that, isn't all the benefit of the SSD lost as soon as I have to transition to my traditional hard drive to get my photos, music, and video?

So, basically the SSD boots up my computer faster, and opens safari lightning quick.
That's about all I can see and I think this drive is headed back to the store until 1TB of SSD is under $200.

Obviously SSD!!! It's a totally different universe! It's not only the boot time,but the entire OS (apps and all) works way more fluid on an SSD.Who uses an SSD & previously used a mechanical drive as boot-drive knows what i am talking about.
-You should always clone your main drive (especially on a hack),so restoring a "measly" 128 GB drive should really not represent a major issue. And i don't think you need to do that every firmware update,i for example didn't had to erase my Agility 3 when updating it's firmware...maybe it's a major release or something
-SSD are not (yet) advertised/bought for mass storage,but for speed/reliability.It's pretty damn str8 that i won't get an 128 GB drive to store my entire movie collection. I don't think comparing an SSD with a 3 TB drive is fair. It's like complaining that my new expensive Ferrari can't carry 2 tons of potatoes,as my good old cheap truck can :)
-I agree it sucks that SSD are not cheaper so we can all afford higher capacity SSD's, damn i will love the day when i will have a PC based only on fast flash storage...
-So,you should clone your drive,update that firmware and enjoy a lil bit of that speed a good SSD can give to your system...and,like me,wait for that day when we will have 1 TB SSD's @ same price as 1 TB mechanical drives are these days :D I wonder,what will you choose then?

I just got a sandisk extreme 120 GB for 79.00, latest firmware already up to date, no cloning, fresh install everything running great. No drama as described in the OP

I just got a sandisk extreme 120 GB for 79.00, latest firmware already up to date, no cloning, fresh install everything running great. No drama as described in the OP

ha ha, it's not drama.
It's just a fact, if you bought a vertex 4 that is.

Hmmm, wasn't it your own fault by not making a Backup or a Clone Copy before updating the Firmware? ;)

I don't think so.
That is my point entirely.

That'd be like saying, gee all four tires went flat on your brand new car.
Well, its your fault for not buying four other brand new tires for your new car.

It is bad that manufacturers release products that are broken, even worse that consumers buy them willingly.

What is your logic for the drive dropping 50% performance after greater than 50% space used?
The consumers fault for wanting to actually use a 120GB drive beyond 64GB?

I'm looking forward to using SSD when budget eases up.

I'll certainly be 100% going with Intel even though they may be more expensive, after I've read some things about their development, quality and testing vs. other cheaper companies. In essence, Intel is more equal than others :)

http://www.storagereview.com/intel_ssd_520_review

the 520 is too expensive.

It is like intel prices it that way on purpose, just to be dicks cause you know they don't care if you buy it or not. They'll be around forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back