Contribute
Register

Time to upgrade my build -- Can I use my same hardware from 2 years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i7-2700K
Graphics
GeForce GTS 250 1024 MB
Hi,

My build has been running great for a couple of years. It has a Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard with an i7-2600k, on 10.8.4, which I haven't bothered to upgrade.

Now that Chrome won't support it, and since I've started getting certificate errors, I guess it's time to bite the bullet and rebuild it. Can I proceed with the existing hardware I have?

Thanks

Hi,

My build has been running great for a couple of years. It has a Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard with an i7-2600k, on 10.8.4, which I haven't bothered to upgrade.

Now that Chrome won't support it, and since I've started getting certificate errors, I guess it's time to bite the bullet and rebuild it. Can I proceed with the existing hardware I have?

Thanks

The only questionable piece of hardware you have is the PSU. It may not be "Haswell Ready" - check with your OEM help line to see if it is capable of the low end voltage requirement without shutting down.

I will have to check once I break it open -- I forget what I have in there. But do I really care about that if I don't have a Haswell CPU?

I will have to check once I break it open -- I forget what I have in there. But do I really care about that if I don't have a Haswell CPU?
Depends on precisely what you want to replace. You have already pushed the limit on the Sandy Bridge CPU on an Ivy Bridge board. You might be able to still find Ivy Bridge CPUs, so that may be one route to take.

Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge are both EOL, Haswell is becoming EOL with the release of SkyLake and Haswell hardware is becoming Out of Stock on many retailer sites.

Wait too long and you may wind up either building SkyLake as unsupported by OS X natively and barely working or just wait until the next chipset and hope Apple uses it sooner in their products so you can get full support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back