Contribute
Register

Time Machine Backup and Recovery on a CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Time Machine Backup and Recovery on a CustoMac

Only issue I came up with in my setup with the extFAT DATA partition was that Illustrator didn't like having it's primary scratch drive on the extFAT drive (stupid Fraking adobe doesn't anyone test anything properly anymore #@%$%@%#&%&$*&#!!!!!!!!!!!) It wouldn't render anything when the file opened. (Same bug under the windows side)

A: As far as exFAT is concerned it's pretty dame solid: Has large file support (files over 2GB) and has full support under Windows (if XP you will need an update) and OSX. (even linux) Only bad thing I've noticed with it is sometimes is if you do an unclean unmount (unplug an external drive without safe removing or turn of the machine without shutting down). You wont be able to write to it until you run a chkdsk on the drive even if it's not flagged as dirty. It's a great file system option when running different operating systems.

----------------------------------------------

I have had good success with Paragon NTFS for Mac OS x 10. It allows full R/W on NTFS volumes, and complete access to photo, video, and audio on NTFS volumes as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvu73rpq5IM

Actually, I have two Hackintoshes in the same room, about ten feet from each other. Both are dual-boot machines, and both are running 100%, including sleep, wake, Cloud, Itunes, etc.

The Mac World is gaining momentum over Windows, especially with the complete flop of the Windows 8 touch screen requiring a large learning curve, even for seasoned Windows users.

I would not purchase a Mac Pro, but both my Hackintoshes have been definitely worth the time (and considerable) effort spent on building them.

Ritey ..

Are there any valid (maybe NAS) backup solutions that support encryption? I really dont like the idea of storing my encrypted data somewhere in a timecapsule or so without encryption...

Are there any valid (maybe NAS) backup solutions that support encryption? I really dont like the idea of storing my encrypted data somewhere in a timecapsule or so without encryption...

Yes, QNap and Synology (among others) have home NAS storage systems that support TimeMachine backups and have volume encryption.

Because OCZ and OWC are two of the SSDs you do _not_ want trim enabled for. They have built-in garbage collection which allows then to work on Macs so well because Macs didn't support Trim before. Also they r designed for raid setup, raids do not pass through the trim command. By using Trim on those drive u can actually kill the drive prematurely and I have done this myself in the past.

Is this true for ALL OCZ models? If not which ones?

The is only true on Sandforce based drives.

All the OCZ drives that use the Indilinx controllers or any non-Sandforce controller based SSD needs TRIM enabled.

----------------------------------------------

I have had good success with Paragon NTFS for Mac OS x 10. It allows full R/W on NTFS volumes, and complete access to photo, video, and audio on NTFS volumes as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvu73rpq5IM

Actually, I have two Hackintoshes in the same room, about ten feet from each other. Both are dual-boot machines, and both are running 100%, including sleep, wake, Cloud, Itunes, etc.

The Mac World is gaining momentum over Windows, especially with the complete flop of the Windows 8 touch screen requiring a large learning curve, even for seasoned Windows users.

I would not purchase a Mac Pro, but both my Hackintoshes have been definitely worth the time (and considerable) effort spent on building them.

Ritey ..

I Use to run NTFS for Mac v8 back on my SL Hackbook (ASUS G51J) I had a crash once and one of my NTFS drives got corrupted so I've stopped using it since then. Maybe I'll check out v10, there might have been some improvements since then.

I do agree it's so worth building a Hackinstosh, If not for anything other then just to free ones self of Apple and there BS. Not to mention the amount of money you save, being able to properly upgrade when needed and once again that upgrade not costing you a fortune, your machine actually being serviceable as opposed to having to buy a new one because of the price of the logic board is ridiculous (Apple's wonderful way of punishing it's users for not taking the apple care)

In any case I could go on forever on how it's better to have a Hackintosh vs. a real mac

Is it possible to restore from a TM backup to new hardware (Backup of Asrock z77 motherboard to Gigabyte x79 Motherboard)? Does it save all the kext files and everything? I am trying to figure out if I can restore and then just reapply all the custom kexts and Multibeast settings.

Is it possible to restore from a TM backup to new hardware (Backup of Asrock z77 motherboard to Gigabyte x79 Motherboard)? Does it save all the kext files and everything? I am trying to figure out if I can restore and then just reapply all the custom kexts and Multibeast settings.

Time Machine backs up everything on the drive(s) (including kext files). Your best bet is to do a clean install on your system with your new motherboard, then once everything is working properly, restore whatever you need to restore (such as your Users folder, perhaps your Applications folder - minus the system applications, it won't let you restore those, etc.). TM is capable of partial restores as well as full restores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back