Contribute
Register

Time Machine Backup and Recovery on a CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Time Machine Backup and Recovery on a CustoMac

Did you happen to install trim for those OCZ drives?

It was over a year ago so my memory is a bit foggy, but I believe I did have TRIM enabled. Why?

Because OCZ and OWC are two of the SSDs you do _not_ want trim enabled for. They have built-in garbage collection which allows then to work on Macs so well because Macs didn't support Trim before. Also they r designed for raid setup, raids do not pass through the trim command. By using Trim on those drive u can actually kill the drive prematurely and I have done this myself in the past.

Because OCZ and OWC are two of the SSDs you do _not_ want trim enabled for. They have built-in garbage collection which allows then to work on Macs so well because Macs didn't support Trim before. Also they r designed for raid setup, raids do not pass through the trim command. By using Trim on those drive u can actually kill the drive prematurely and I have done this myself in the past.

All the evidence I had found at the time suggested that this was true for *some* models of OCZ drives, but that their SandForce based drives would benefit from TRIM. However, there was a lot of debate going on about this and it's possible I misunderstood what I read. Anyway, I've had no problems with the Sandisk, Samsung, and Crucial SSDs I've purchased since then.

I have been using OCZ ssds for many many years and only use OCZ in my Macs/Hacks. I hav the Vertex, Vertex 2, Vertex 3, Vertex 4, Agility 3, Solid 3 and Vector, none of which I will ever install trim for. I killed like 4 SSDs doing that in a real Mac and 1 in a Hack so never again. The original Vertex in my Mac Pro 1,1 2006 is still working fine with no trim after 5+ years now and has not slowed done a bit :D

I can assure you that CCC copies your boot loader. I've used this method many times. Check your settings.

--------------------------------------------

What 'settings' are you using to get CCC to copy the bootloader (hidden partition) to the Clone backup?

Ritey ..

SuperDuper for me. So easy, and the ability to immediately boot to the backup to verify it is a critical function.

Time Machine is more flashy to look at and is easy to use, but a bootable backup sitting on a second drive is the best insurance available.

SD is still free too, last time I checked...

I have been using OCZ ssds for many many years and only use OCZ in my Macs/Hacks. I hav the Vertex, Vertex 2, Vertex 3, Vertex 4, Agility 3, Solid 3 and Vector, none of which I will ever install trim for. I killed like 4 SSDs doing that in a real Mac and 1 in a Hack so never again. The original Vertex in my Mac Pro 1,1 2006 is still working fine with no trim after 5+ years now and has not slowed done a bit :D

I'm glad you have had good experiences with OCZ; mine have all (with one exception) been negative. In addition to two prematurely dead OCZ SSDs in a row, I had another one that was DOA, and its replacement (after technical support gave me the runaround about replacing) which was supposed to have been an identical or better drive, was an inferior (performance-wise) model. By that point I had had enough with both their products and their customer service, so I sold the replacement unopened on eBay and bought a Corsair to replace it.

CCC does not copy the boot loader. You are either booting from your main hardrives boot loader then selecting your clone or you have installed your boot loader onto your cloned drive at some point?
If you take a freshly formatted harddrive Clone OSX onto it and then set that as the boot hardrive in your BIOS your system will NOT boot.

You are misleading people with this comment.

ovb1 is correct; neither Carbon Copy Cloner nor SuperDuper is capable of cloning the bootloader. However, you only have to install Chimera once on the cloned drive and it "sticks", unless you reformat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back