Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt 3 builds - current status?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But there is NO Thunderbolt Firmware Update Tool under the Utility section of the website for the GA-Z270X-UD5, in contrast to the GA-Z170X-UD5 TH. That's why I don't think I should ever need to "activate" Thunderbolt on the Z270 board. I may still try to install Windows and then the Thunderbolt drivers to see if such a step is still necessary, but it will have to be later.

To be clear, do you have the GA-Z270X-UD5 (one Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port) or the GA-Z270X-UD5 TH (one back panel TH3/USB-C port, and one TH3 motherboard header)?

I ask because I have the latter board. Thunderbolt does work, to the extent that my Apple Thunderbolt Display operates, along with its USB hub devices (FaceTime camera/mic) and other port features (Ethernet, Firewire, etc). However, I have some stability issues which I can't pin 100% on the Thunderbolt display being connected, but seem related.

Note: I installed the Thunderbolt drivers in Windows 10 before attempting the Sierra install. However, other than various DSDT patches I had to make to get my iGPU and dGPU working simultaneously for dual monitor support, I didn't have to do anything else in OS X to get the onboard Thunderbolt working.

To be clear, do you have the GA-Z270X-UD5 (one Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port) or the GA-Z270X-UD5 TH (one back panel TH3/USB-C port, and one TH3 motherboard header)?

I ask because I have the latter board. Thunderbolt does work, to the extent that my Apple Thunderbolt Display operates, along with its USB hub devices (FaceTime camera/mic) and other port features (Ethernet, Firewire, etc). However, I have some stability issues which I can't pin 100% on the Thunderbolt display being connected, but seem related.

Note: I installed the Thunderbolt drivers in Windows 10 before attempting the Sierra install. However, other than various DSDT patches I had to make to get my iGPU and dGPU working simultaneously for dual monitor support, I didn't have to do anything else in OS X to get the onboard Thunderbolt working.

There is NO GA-Z270X-UD5 TH motherboard from Gigabyte, only the GA-Z170X-UD5 TH. At least I can't find one on the Gigabyte website. Are you referring to the Z170? I have the GA-Z270X-UD5.

I have NOT tried to install Windows and the Thunderbolt drivers before installing Sierra. Gigabyte has not mentioned the need to "activate" Thunderbolt on the Z270X-UD5, while I am aware that on the Z170X-UD5 TH Gigabyte explicitly required "activating" Thunderbolt before it can be used, the procedure of which was listed by Tony.

If the Thunderbolt 3 needs to be "activated" (i.e. installing Windows and the Thunderbolt drivers first), then may be that's why I have not been able to get it to work now.

Last edited:
Dear all,

I am new to this Forum and to the whole CustoMac thing and I would like to ask you guys (and girls) for help concering a CustoMac Pro Setup with Thunderbolt 3 connection. Thank you very much in advance for your help!!

However, I already know quite exactly what I am looking for: I am going to build a mac that I want to use for high-end audio stuff, especially a large midi template in Cubase. Currently I am working on a MacbookPro (original Apple), and I have definetly reached the limits of that machine...

So, I would like to build a Mac that can provide at least 64GB RAM and a top end i7 (7700K), and I have founds builds for that of course. But: It should also have a thunderbolt 3 connection onboard (for I would love to use a UA Twin MK II, which can only be used via Thunderbolt 3 onboard connection, not via PCI e., nor via USB).

I have found a thread on this topic here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-thunderbolt-3-to-thunderbolt-adapter.200902/

but it is old over a year by now, and it sounded alarmingly complicated and shaky to me, for I am a beginner concerning CustoMac builds. And: I am going to use this machine for business, so it should be working properly and stable.

I just wanted to ask about the current status concering Thunderbolt 3: Anyone here with up to date experiences, having a machine with the described specifications that can be got running without too many uncertainties, and that will finally work on a stable level? I have already listed parts that should work (taken from the CustoMac Pro buyer's guide), but I am absolutely unsure about stability and the Thunderbolt 3 thing:

- Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD5 (for having a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C connection)

- Core i7-7700K (can be exchanged if necessary - just looking for a quick intel processor)

- EKL Alpenföhn Olymp (not listed in the buyer's guide - possible anyway?)

- Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (64GB) (can be exchanged if necessary)

- Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD
- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
- WD Red 3TB HDD

- Corsair RM 650x Watt (can be exchanged if necessary)

- be quiet! Silent Base 800 orange (not listed in the buyer's guide - possible anyway?)

no GPU actually, for I am not going to play games with this machine and onboard graphics with hdmi and display port should be enough.

I hope someone has the time and the experience to help me and give some advice. Thank you very much once again for your time and all your wisdom :)

Best,
Sebastian

So, after swapping a few components:

The RAM for G Skill Trident 32GB RGB 3000MHz

The CPU Cooler for Alphacool Eisbaer 360mm CPU water cooling + additional 240mm Alphacool radiator.

The Fenvi network card for the official apple WiFi and Bluetooth card from osxwifi.

The build is complete. I'm currently running an overnight stress test on a 5ghz overclock within windows.

Tomorrow I'll be updating the thunderbolt port and activating whilst I have windows installed.

I'll also be trying out the GM build of high Sierra tomorrow, just to see how everything works.

When the official high sierra copy is released, and the officially supported Multibeast etc, I'll be reinstalling it all.

I'll let you all know how the thunderbolt port behaves tomorrow when I test out the high sierra gm

Evening all,
I have thunderbolt working on a GA-X99-sli 8Core i7-6900k connected to my MOTU 16A
and once I set up the thunderbolt ports in Windows 10 everything works fine.
See post #1476 in https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...entz-aorus-gtx-1080-ti-xtreme.211621/page-148

Im using it right now as I type this and Im recording music through protools and although my MOTH 16A is there and working,
system information says
Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded.
Bob

There is NO GA-Z270X-UD5 TH motherboard from Gigabyte, only the GA-Z170X-UD5 TH. At least I can't find one on the Gigabyte website. Are you referring to the Z170? I have the GA-Z270X-UD5.

I have NOT tried to install Windows and the Thunderbolt drivers before installing Sierra. Gigabyte has not mentioned the need to "activate" Thunderbolt on the Z270X-UD5, while I am aware that on the Z170X-UD5 TH Gigabyte explicitly required "activating" Thunderbolt before it can be used, the procedure of which was listed by Tony.

If the Thunderbolt 3 needs to be "activated" (i.e. installing Windows and the Thunderbolt drivers first), then may be that's why I have not been able to get it to work now.

I've indeed read that TB needs to be 'activated' in Windows, yes.

Sorry, I wrote the earlier post while sleepy. You're right, the GA-Z270X-UD5 is the only model; there's no "TH" edition. I have the same board as you, the Z270X-UD5, with the built-in Thunderbolt backpanel port. TB3 works for me (via a TB3-2 converter; the only device I have is an Apple Thunderbolt Display, but the USB/Firewire/Ethernet ports and webcam all work)—but with some stability issues that (I hope) are related to using the iGPU to power this display.

I just bought the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge add-in Thunderbolt PCI card so I could send my GTX 1060's video output to this Thunderbolt display... and it works for video, but the other ports on the display are not working. Surprising, given that I thought the TB via the mobo header would work the same as the backpanel port...

I've indeed read that TB needs to be 'activated' in Windows, yes.

Sorry, I wrote the earlier post while sleepy. You're right, the GA-Z270X-UD5 is the only model; there's no "TH" edition. I have the same board as you, the Z270X-UD5, with the built-in Thunderbolt backpanel port. TB3 works for me (via a TB3-2 converter; the only device I have is an Apple Thunderbolt Display, but the USB/Firewire/Ethernet ports and webcam all work)—but with some stability issues that (I hope) are related to using the iGPU to power this display.

I just bought the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge add-in Thunderbolt PCI card so I could send my GTX 1060's video output to this Thunderbolt display... and it works for video, but the other ports on the display are not working. Surprising, given that I thought the TB via the mobo header would work the same as the backpanel port...

I see. Thank you for your information. It seems that I will have to find a spare hard disk to install a temporary copy of Windows and then the Thunderbolt drivers to "activate" the Thunderbolt 3 port before trying to use it in MacOS Sierra.

I have an Asus rog Maximus Ix Hero, intel i7 7700k, gtx 1050ti, with Sierra installed on a 1tb 850 EVO SSD, Sierra works fine, my USB ports all work, my GTX runs smooth, and audio works fine, but, I can't get my UAD Apollo (w Thunderbolt 2) to work, I installed the ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 PCIe , and installed thunderbolt drivers on Win 10, which I have installed in a separate 250gb SSD running on the same machine.

I have an Asus rog Maximus Ix Hero, intel i7 7700k, gtx 1050ti, with Sierra installed on a 1tb 850 EVO SSD, Sierra works fine, my USB ports all work, my GTX runs smooth, and audio works fine, but, I can't get my UAD Apollo (w Thunderbolt 2) to work, I installed the ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 PCIe , and installed thunderbolt drivers on Win 10, which I have installed in a separate 250gb SSD running on the same machine.
This is a buying advice thread. Please post in a support thread or in an Asus Maximus IX User Build thread where the creator of that thread also uses Thunderbolt. Thanks.

Dear all,

I am new to this Forum and to the whole CustoMac thing and I would like to ask you guys (and girls) for help concering a CustoMac Pro Setup with Thunderbolt 3 connection. Thank you very much in advance for your help!!

However, I already know quite exactly what I am looking for: I am going to build a mac that I want to use for high-end audio stuff, especially a large midi template in Cubase. Currently I am working on a MacbookPro (original Apple), and I have definetly reached the limits of that machine...

So, I would like to build a Mac that can provide at least 64GB RAM and a top end i7 (7700K), and I have founds builds for that of course. But: It should also have a thunderbolt 3 connection onboard (for I would love to use a UA Twin MK II, which can only be used via Thunderbolt 3 onboard connection, not via PCI e., nor via USB).

I have found a thread on this topic here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-thunderbolt-3-to-thunderbolt-adapter.200902/

but it is old over a year by now, and it sounded alarmingly complicated and shaky to me, for I am a beginner concerning CustoMac builds. And: I am going to use this machine for business, so it should be working properly and stable.

I just wanted to ask about the current status concering Thunderbolt 3: Anyone here with up to date experiences, having a machine with the described specifications that can be got running without too many uncertainties, and that will finally work on a stable level? I have already listed parts that should work (taken from the CustoMac Pro buyer's guide), but I am absolutely unsure about stability and the Thunderbolt 3 thing:

- Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD5 (for having a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C connection)

- Core i7-7700K (can be exchanged if necessary - just looking for a quick intel processor)

- EKL Alpenföhn Olymp (not listed in the buyer's guide - possible anyway?)

- Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (64GB) (can be exchanged if necessary)

- Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD
- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
- WD Red 3TB HDD

- Corsair RM 650x Watt (can be exchanged if necessary)

- be quiet! Silent Base 800 orange (not listed in the buyer's guide - possible anyway?)

no GPU actually, for I am not going to play games with this machine and onboard graphics with hdmi and display port should be enough.

I hope someone has the time and the experience to help me and give some advice. Thank you very much once again for your time and all your wisdom :)

Best,
Sebastian

Hello,

Where did you read that the Apollo won't work with Thunderbolt Cards. I have the GA Z270xp-SLI with the GA alpine ridge thunderbolt card and can't get the darn thing to work. Ca you tell me where you read that Apollo doesn't work with cards?

Ok, so I put my build together, downloaded the High Sierra GM, extracted it to a USB, installed the latest clover onto it, with only two options ticked. I had to get the fake SMC, apfs efi and two USB kexts and put it in the clover folder, and that is all!

High Sierra installed perfectly. EVERYTHING then works out of the box.

Usb 2.0, usb 3.0, usb 3.1, thunderbolt 3, Vega works ootb, sleep wake etc

This 7700k 5ghz hackintosh smokes my actual 2013 trashcan Mac pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back