Contribute
Register

This is my overclock settings, safe or should I adjust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
osx 7 lion
CPU
core i7 920
Graphics
ati 5770 1gb
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
My recent build of
core i7 930 2.8ghz
g.skill 1600mhz with timings 9-9-9-24
ati 5770
corsair 750w
Aiming for 3.2ghz

In the bios, i set (reason why):
bclk to 160 (to overclock)
system memory multiplier 10.0 (to get 1600mhz)
memory frequency is 1600mhz (to g.skill spec)
vcore 1.2v(um, system seemed a bit laggy, someone said to go up to 1.4, i felt moderate, so i went up to 1.2)
qpi/vtt 1.3v (suggested by g.skill)
dram voltage 1.5v(g.skill spec)
qpiclock ratio (auto) 5.76ghz (auto based on xmp profile 1)
uncore clock ratio (auto) 3.2ghz (auto based on xmp profile 1)
all cpu features enabled, however i did turn turbo off.
clock ratio 20x, for 3.2ghz (that's my aim)

cpu temps in the bios are 36celsius
geekbench scores
32bit 9776
64bit 10760

Let me know if anything sounds bad, wrong, dangerous, or needs immediate attention.

The only thing I have run so far is prime95 for 45 minutes lol, temp is holding at 51celsius.

I'd run 20 passes of LinX and run P95 a bit longer, but I'm sure you're fine with those voltages @ 3.2Ghz. Whoever said to set your Vcore to 1.4v so you can hit 3.2 is crazy lol. I only need ~1.23 for 4.0Ghz w/HT, so I'm not sure what he/she was thinking. My guess is that they either had an i7 920 C0, or a very badly binned D0 920/930 chip, which requires a higher voltage. I personally set ram manually instead of using XMP, but I guess its fine the way you have it. Also I'd set QPI clock to its lowest setting and Uncore Freq to x16 or x17.

What cooler are you using??

Jocelyn84 said:
I'd run 20 passes of LinX and run P95 a bit longer, but I'm sure you're fine with those voltages @ 3.2Ghz. Whoever said to set your Vcore to 1.4v so you can hit 3.2 is crazy lol. I only need ~1.23 for 4.0Ghz w/HT, so I'm not sure what he/she was thinking. My guess is that they either had an i7 920 C0, or a very badly binned chip, which required a lot of voltage. I personally set ram manually instead of using XMP, but I guess its fine the way you have it. Also I'd set QPI clock to its lowest setting and Uncore Freq to X16 or x17.

What cooler are you using??

Oh I forgot to say, the motherboard is the one i set under my name.
I wrote motherboard, I meant bios temp is 36.

Im using the cooler master 212 hyper plus.

I'll try the qpi clock and uncore freq changes you mentioned. Is there a reason why I should lower them? I think they changed when I set the xmp profile, I actually set the timings for the ram myself, just in case there was some auto thing i missed and it made them go nuts. I want my ram to run at spec speeds and my cpu to go at 3.2ghz.

With the exception of not incredibly important voltages, auto for anything is generally never good. Can you link the memory you have? I'm just curious is all. =)

Also, when you said "The only thing I have run so far is prime95 for 45 minutes lol, temp is holding at 51celsius." Is that temperature for your highest of four cores under a program like Realtemp or is that your CPU temp?

Jocelyn84 said:
With the exception of not incredibly important voltages, auto for anything is generally never good. Can you link the memory you have? I'm just curious is all. =)

Also, when you said "The only thing I have run so far is prime95 for 45 minutes lol, temp is holding at 51celsius." Is that temperature for your highest of four cores under a program like Realtemp or is that your CPU temp?

The memory I have is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231225

I used ubcd4win and ran prim95 off that and I wish i could remember the name of the program for temps inside there but I used that. I'm having a bit of trouble getting an extra hard drive for windows at the moment. So that's going to have to wait. I really wish there were these programs for mac :(. I know prime95 is now but without a proper way of measuring temps, I don't know if its worth using? I guess I'm doing it wrong. Let me know.

Again, I'm sure you're fine @ 3.2Ghz with 1.2v. In fact, I bet you can hit 4.0Ghz with a tad more voltage or even run 3.2Ghz with a much lower Vcore (1.6v-1.7v), but don't do this until you have a windows install for proper testing lol. I'd just stick with what you're current 3.2 setup until then. Whenever you do get another drive for Windows, download realtemp and LinX, then run 20 passes with a problem size of 25k or higher. LinX/IBT are much faster at finding instability and after you're stable, you can use Prime95 for longer testing. The only reason I brought up temps is because a CPU temp always runs much lower than core temps, and if your CPU temp was 51C, that's kinda hot for 3.2Ghz/1.2v. In the meantime, and I can't guarantee its accuracy, download this. It shows your core temps and I believe it to be rather accurate.
http://www.bresink.com/osx/0Temperature ... nload.php5

Downloads for after you get another drive and have a Windows install.

LinX - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=201670
RealTemp - http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/16 ... _3.40.html

. In the meantime, and I can't guarantee its accuracy, download this. It shows your core temps and I believe it to be rather accurate.
http://www.bresink.com/osx/0Temperature ... nload.php5

yea I'll get on the windows install soon. Thanks for the links. I'll keep them handy.

screenshot of the mac temp program you links me too
content

currently i have open, adium/chrome( 5 tabs) / skype/getcloudapp/totalfinder/timemachine/
launchbar. they aren't power hungry apps i think.

Those temps look fine, but idle temps don't really mean anything. You can change to the lite program and make it load on your top bar whenever you load Mac OS. That way you can at least monitor the first core. Also, if you go into preferences, you can delete cores 2,4,6, and 8. They're just the 4 extra threads, which I'm sure you already knew.

PS - If you get a minute tonight or tomorrow, run prime for 10-15 mins and let me know what your highest core temps is. I'm more interested in your temps than stability right now, so make sure you reboot then only open Prime95 + Temp Monitor whenever you do this.

Ahh good and bad news. I used the temperature monitor linked above for mac
and I ran prime95 for what was suppose to be 15 minutes but i fell asleep and it ran for 7.5 hours. I woke up , the system was still running.

The bad news, when I woke up In my daze I only jotted down the temps and closed prime95, only seeing the top thread was all ok.

temp were 64,61,60,59

Those temps are fine and safe, but they do seem a little high for 3.2Ghz. It probably has to do with your cases airflow or you may need to reseat the cooler. However, if you're content with 3.2 by all means keep everything as is. Remember you can always try to undervolt for even better temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back