ThinkPad P50 UHD Graphical Acceleration Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkPad P50 (Clover UEFI)
CPU
i7-6820HQ
Graphics
HD 530 + Quadro M2000M (UHD Display 3,840x2,160)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hardware
  • ThinkPad P50
  • Intel CM236 Chipset
  • Intel i7 6820HQ
  • 16GB RAM
  • Intel HD 530 (DVMT Locked to 64MB, Dynamically Allocated Memory can be set to 256/512MB in BIOS, Integrated only option not available)
  • NVIDIA M2000M 2GB
Software
  • Installer created with native Apple tool
  • SATA ACHI SSD formatted entirely as unencrypted APFS
  • Clover installed onto installer
  • Used a modified config_HD515_520_530_540.plist from Rehab to install with dGPU disabled and platform-id spoofed to 0x12345678
  • Currently post install on 10.13.6, Spoofed as MacBookPro13,1
Symptoms Experienced
  • Laptop does not display into built-in or external displays (Note: External Displays are controlled by dGPU, them not working is acceptable for the time being)
  • Display seemingly stops refreshing when macOS would otherwise switch from displaying verbose to display the login screen.
  • Small black section at the bottom of the screen which only occurs when device is set to Hybrid Graphics (256/512MB both experience this).
End Goal
  • Internal UHD Display is accelerated and fully functional with either graphics card.
Fixes researched
  • Attempted known ways to enable HD530 such as
    • Using ig-platform-id as 0x19160000
    • "0x19160000/etc, 32MB BIOS, 19MB framebuffer 9MB cursor bytes" SKLFramebuffer Patch (As far as I can tell I have a 64MB BIOS so this patch may not apply)
    • "eDP, port 0000, 0x191e0000, 0x19160000..." SKLFramebuffer Patch
    • IntelGraphicsFixup.kext
    • IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext
    • CoreDisplayFixup.kext
    • Disassemble UEFI and try to change DVMT option from 64MB to 96MB or 128MB through EFI Shell through setup_var. (@0xD9 and value should be 0x3 or 0x4)
    • Variations and combinations of all of these, willing to attempt them again to provide data
  • Attempted to enable the M2000M via Web Drivers. (NVHALGM100 Loads, no display even with NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext)
All required files are attached in the debug zip.

Attachments

• MarieKirya-P50-Jul-18-2018-No1.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Same set of files, but if booted into the machine with non-functional display using HD 530 graphics and done over VNC/SSH.

Attachments

• MarieKirya-P50-Jul-18-2018-No2.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 78
Hardware
  • ThinkPad P50
  • Intel CM236 Chipset
  • Intel i7 6820HQ
  • 16GB RAM
  • Intel HD 530 (DVMT Locked to 64MB, Dynamically Allocated Memory can be set to 256/512MB in BIOS, Integrated only option not available)
  • NVIDIA M2000M 2GB
Software
  • Installer created with native Apple tool
  • SATA ACHI SSD formatted entirely as unencrypted APFS
  • Clover installed onto installer
  • Used a modified config_HD515_520_530_540.plist from Rehab to install with dGPU disabled and platform-id spoofed to 0x12345678
  • Currently post install on 10.13.6, Spoofed as MacBookPro13,1
Symptoms Experienced
  • Laptop does not display into built-in or external displays (Note: External Displays are controlled by dGPU, them not working is acceptable for the time being)
  • Display seemingly stops refreshing when macOS would otherwise switch from displaying verbose to display the login screen.
  • Small black section at the bottom of the screen which only occurs when device is set to Hybrid Graphics (256/512MB both experience this).
End Goal
  • Internal UHD Display is accelerated and fully functional with either graphics card.
Fixes researched
  • Attempted known ways to enable HD530 such as
    • Using ig-platform-id as 0x19160000
    • "0x19160000/etc, 32MB BIOS, 19MB framebuffer 9MB cursor bytes" SKLFramebuffer Patch (As far as I can tell I have a 64MB BIOS so this patch may not apply)
    • "eDP, port 0000, 0x191e0000, 0x19160000..." SKLFramebuffer Patch
    • IntelGraphicsFixup.kext
    • IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext
    • Disassemble UEFI and try to change DVMT option from 64MB to 96MB or 128MB through EFI Shell through setup_var. (@0xD9 and value should be 0x3 or 0x4)
    • Variations and combinations of all of these, willing to attempt them again to provide data
  • Attempted to enable the M2000M via Web Drivers. (NVHALGM100 Loads, no display even with NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext)
All required files are attached in the debug zip.

Same set of files, but if booted into the machine with non-functional display using HD 530 graphics and done over VNC/SSH.

4k displays require CoreDisplayFixup.kext.

4k displays require CoreDisplayFixup.kext.
Right, that should have been under attempted fixes, I will add that to my EFI and get debug info when I'm off work.

Right, that should have been under attempted fixes,

The files you attached prove you're not using it.
Also, please fix your profile to include your screen resolution.

I'm not here to argue, I know I missed that kext and didn't add it to my attempted fixes, hence the second part of quote that's missing. I was simply reporting that I tried that already and will update today.

But regardless, Problem still persists here's the updated files.

Attachments

• MarieKirya-P50-Jul-19-2018-No3.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 71
I'm not here to argue, I know I missed that kext and didn't add it to my attempted fixes, hence the second part of quote that's missing. I was simply reporting that I tried that already and will update today.

But regardless, Problem still persists here's the updated files.

Your kextcache output proves kexts are not installed correctly.
All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Read post #2 of the Clover guide for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Installed to /S/L/E. No change in behavior.

Attachments

• MarieKirya-P50-Jul-19-2018-No4.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 69
Use of the word "or" in your FAQ doesn't create any sense of specificity it simply sounds like a option rather than a requirement. Don't blame the reader for what could equally be the fault of the writer. I appreciate the help, but there's still a person on this side, attacking my reading skills isn't why I came here for. I'm not typing broken English, giving incomplete datasets, begging, or any non-sense.

Regardless, no change. New data set included.

Attachments

• MarieKirya-P50-Jul-19-2018-No5.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 75
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back