Contribute
Register

Thierry's First Build: “Mac Midi” GA-B75M-D3H / i3-3225 / 8GB / HD 4000 / Temjin TJ08-E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. It's still good to know. If I ever have to reinstall the system, I'll have no fear to take the latest one.

But maybe I'll never see 10.8.5 and might jump directly to the next one. :headbang: I can't wait to test Mavericks. (on a second HDD of course !!)

These days I am thinking of a new hack... :p

Especially when I realized how much space this one was taking, for a so empty case inside.

At first, one year ago, I was taking this mATX case as one of the most silent. It is doing a great job.
But after months of usage, I also see that it would not make big difference when you put an i3 HD4000, no graphics and 1 SS/1HDD inside.
It's not getting hot, it's not noisy.

After looking around for the latest component on the Customac list, I also remember why I took this one : it was cheaper to go with mATX, compared to ITX boards.

Today, if I was doing a new one, I would definetely go for the ITX size and a small SG05 or Thermaltake Evo, or similar small ones.

I'm going to check this week, how much power it is currently taking.
Since I will not put any Graphics or extra HDD, I think it am well below the 400W of my PSU.

(An Antex ISK300-150 is only coming with 150W. Would this be sufficient?)
Lots of thoughts these days.... :rolleyes:

Thanks to DrTom info, I decided to install HWMonitor and the FakeSMC.
I thought it was a dangerous thing to do.
Not at all.

I just used the last MB (which is completely different from the one I used 8 months ago)

No problem at all. Now I can see my CPU temps and fans info. So good.

Maybe I'll risk clicking one more options, to try get the native sleep and the USB3 on front panel... :D

Hi Thierry37

I saw your mini search box to reduce the volume of your Hack, also seen on MacBidouille ;)

Currently you have a TJ08 case which is of very good quality, which is well cooled with its volume.
You can also watch boxes Cooltek U1, U2 or U3 (cooltek.de). They are available on http://www.pc-cooling.de/BOITIERS/C...Window.html?osCsid=ps2pohjbq1tdfvm28to5rpk890

The advantage is a aluminum case that better distribute the heat and be less prone to vibration than small boxes Itx steel. The case U3 is larger mATX, you can keep your current config.

If you want to reduce the noise, you can also put a cooler in the U3.

A good site: silentpcreview.com

Good luck :p

Salut Thierry37

Salut Lapin

Thanks for the tips.

It's funny because I was asking a bit on macbidouille and also on tonymac about low power, silent build.
Then I decided to go to the source : SPCR
Great forum for building silent config.

When I built this rig, 12 months ago, I choose the TJ08-E because it was the number 1 silent mATX from SPCR.

I would like like to make a new one. For the fun of building.
If I can sell this one. Thats why I am now thinking mini itx for the next one.

Cooltek looks great. But the Lian Li Q07 is bit cheaper. And also aluminum.

The advantage is a aluminum case that better distribute the heat and be less prone to vibration than small boxes Itx steel.

this is not so sure...
There is almost no heat dissipation through the case unless there is a heat pipe connected. Like on the streacom small boxes.
Aluminuim will dissipate better than steel. But that's not significant in these cases.

And on silentpcreview, they say that aluminum case are more subject to vibrations.

It's time to move on.

If the buyer is convinced, tomorrow after looking at my hack, he will take it with him.

And I'll have some money to start my next build.

For sure, I'll open a new topic, to explain my choices.

Hey, Lapincrétin,
In the end, I will go with a case from Cooltek. The Coolcube, which is ITX size.
I will make the same basic build as this one, but with Haswell processor and 256GB SSD. On smaller case, smaller footprint, with picoPSU and giant CPU cooler.

I was planning the Lian Li PC-Q07 or Q27, but I don't need the extra heigh for optical drive. The Cooltek is nice for this.

Talk to you soon, when I start my new one.

Thierry,

I was wondering if you could help me out by answering a couple of Questions?

Are you still using the GA-B75M-D3H board or have you moved on?

Are you using Mavericks with the GA-B75M-D3H board?

Are your USB 3.0 ports writing at the correct speed?

I am having trouble getting my USB 3.0 ports on my board working with Mavericks 10.9.0+. They show up up as USB 3.0 ports in the system info, and drives connected mount etc. However the writes speeds I am getting are below USB 2.0 speeds. The USB 3.0 ports work fine with 10.8.5, but as soon as I upgraded or do a clean install of 10.9.0 they stopped writing at the correct speeds.

Kind Regards
Spang1974

Hi Spang,
I don't have it since last Christmas.

I was only using Mountain Lion and all my USB3 were working fine in writing and reading.

About Mavericks, you might be better on other topics who are still using this board. (Like Moarfish's build, or DrTom)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back