Contribute
Register

The Ultimate Low Cost Big Sur Hackintosh - Core i5 Dell Optiplex 3020 SFF

Hi TRS! Everything seems to work ok here (dual boot Windows8.1/Mojave on HFS+ on the original HD ;)), it surely would speed up using an SSD, but that's another story...
I've discovered though that pluging a headphone is not enough for switching the audio and my old mother is not savvy enough to go and change the output menu when needed: do you think of something I could do to change that behaviour? I guess there might be something to do with an SSDT but I'm not savvy enough myself to dive into that obscure world... :mrgreen:

I've discovered though that pluging a headphone is not enough for switching the audio and my old mother is not savvy enough to go and change the output menu when needed: do you think of something I could do to change that behaviour?
Experiment with some of the other audio layout IDs by editing your config.plist. I'm not recalling which one defaults to the headphone jack in front but I think that one of them does. Try 17 first then some of the others. 13 is a good choice too. The EFI folder's default is set to 11.

Screen Shot 29.jpg

According to Acidanthera any of the following will work to enable different combos of mic, line out, headphones and internal speaker:

layout 3, 4, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 21

Last edited:
I've discovered though that pluging a headphone is not enough for switching the audio and my old mother is not savvy enough to go and change the output menu when needed
Which layout ID ended up working the best for headphone use ?

Here I am! ;)
So, I've tested all the layout IDs, here's my report:
- 13, 16, 17, 21: no input, no output!
- 15: headphones only
- 3 & 4: those should be the ones as I can see in the pref pane that it switches between headphones and internal speaker, but there's no actual sound coming out from the speakers (the headphones ok) — yes, I've checked the output level slider :mrgreen:
So back to 11. Even if it doesn't switch automatically when pluging in headphones, at least I can have sound in both cases.

13, 16, 17, 21: no input, no output!
Strange that those don't work at all. The 7020/9020s use the same audio chip and they can be used with those Dell motherboards.

Hi! I wanted to try Mavericks as I have software that runs correctly only until 10.9, but I get the Dead End sign immediately. El Capitan boots ok though.
I thought of IGPU HD4600 support, but 10.9 has HD4000 and 5000 drivers so I don't think so — and g**gling around, I see a few indications that 10.9 ran on Haswell...
So it's probably some setting to change in OC, I guess, have you got any idea?

have you got any idea?
I've never installed Mavs on the 3020 but it should work. It may be that you need an older SMBIOS like iMac 14,2 instead of 15,1. 14,1 or 14,3 are iGPU only options. Let me know if it does work.

Last edited:
Back