Contribute
Register

The FireWire 800/400 card to own for 100% compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd just like to add here that in my build I've used a DeLock FireWire PCI Card 3+1 port. It's only FW400 capable though. The product number is 89179.
It does not list Mac OS in its System Requirements but worked out of the box on my new build.

I'd just like to add here that in my build I've used a DeLock FireWire PCI Card 3+1 port. It's only FW400 capable though. The product number is 89179.
It does not list Mac OS in its System Requirements but worked out of the box on my new build.

oh that's a shame it's only FW400 :(

My studio live mixer needs FW800.

Perhaps DeLock do a 800 pci as well?

might just check that out now

Dude as I said your having a UEFI bios issue you can turn UEFI off and run in bios mode.

if you read through this thread you will find the FW card you have has issues with
UEFI bios which is why boom R suggested the PCIE syba card as an alternative.

Boom R if your in the know.
Is there a PCI Card that works as well as the syba in your opinion?

The Syba card that many of us on here use works perfectly & OoB. It's still available for purchase on Amazon.com, and also available from NewEgg, too. Note that the sales package may not be branded "Syba" - it may be branded "Best Connectivity" - (I posted a thread about that a while back). Note that it comes with a full-size bracket (even though it's billed as a low-profile card)

Belkin also makes some FW cards with TI chipset.

I may need to get with the OP (thelostswede) to see if we can either edit the OP/title of the thread, or maybe close it. Again, if you use UEFI, there are issues with this card. Older boards pre-UEFI AND when this post was first created-were BIOS, and therefore worked like a champ.

I have not tried disabling UEFI and using standard BIOS to see if this card works with mobo in that mode (not to mention that I don't even have a card that I can use for testing). Maybe someone who is more familiar with mobo architecture can chime in here: If you switch from UEFI to BIOS, do you need to go back to using DSDT? I believe the DSDT-free options in MultiBeast work because of UEFI.

I would be curious to see some metrics on the throughput between a card with PCIe controller chip (like the one being hailed in this post) and cards with PCI 1394 chipset with PCIe bridge (like the Syba card). The thought was that, because a card uses a PCI chip (on a PCIe card), followed by PCIe bridge, that this architecture would add extra overhead or cause more lag in audio signals. My uneducated opinion is that the data transfer between the 2 cards is almost not even worth mentioning (from an audio/DAW standpoint). There are many more user-friendly things you can do to help reduce latency, including lowering your buffer settings when recording.

Also, it may be a moot point because many of the FW audio interfaces now offer no-latency (or near no-latency) monitoring modes IF you monitor through their audio desk software. MOTU's CueMix, Focusrite's Saffire Control, Apogee Maestro, etc. Disable input monitoring in your DAW, then monitor through the audio interface's audio desk software. Then latency caused by FW when monitoring is no longer an issue. You **may** need to check your tracks to make sure things line up, though (timing-wise).

:headbang:

Boom R if your in the know.
Is there a PCI Card that works as well as the syba in your opinion?

Syba makes a PCI card with TI chipset - but I don't think anyone carries it any more. Plus I have no experience with the PCI version of the card, nor do I know if it is compatible with CustoMac.

Who is it that needs a PCI FW card...??

Syba makes a PCI card with TI chipset - but I don't think anyone carries it any more. Plus I have no experience with the PCI version of the card, nor do I know if it is compatible with CustoMac.

Who is it that needs a PCI FW card...??

Me I do, I only have 1 pcie slot which I need for my wifi card.

So I need to finda PCI only FW card at 800gb seen lots about
just not sure about which one to trust.

Me I do, I only have 1 pcie slot which I need for my wifi card.

So I need to finda PCI only FW card at 800gb seen lots about
just not sure about which one to trust.

If you are using your FW800 card for music, then I would not risk trying to find a compatible "Legacy" solution (PCI). I would get the Syba PCIe card and get your FW working with your PreSonus mixer. There are PLENTY of PCI Ethernet cards running around. Check the hardware Wiki to see if there are a few documented.

Or, here's an outside-the-box work-around: Powerline. Get a set of Powerline adapters and use your motherboard's existing on-board Ethernet port - so you have a wired connection to your WiFi router.

HEY...wait a minute - you have GA-Z87M-D3H motherboard? That has TWO PCIe slots (the one closest to the CPU, and the one closest to the edge of the motherboard). The 2 in the middle are legacy PCI slots. Are you not using onboard HD 46000 graphics & you have a graphics card or something (taking up one of your PCIe slots...and your WiFi card in the other?)?

If you are using your FW800 card for music, then I would not risk trying to find a compatible "Legacy" solution (PCI). I would get the Syba PCIe card and get your FW working with your PreSonus mixer. There are PLENTY of PCI Ethernet cards running around. Check the hardware Wiki to see if there are a few documented.

Or, here's an outside-the-box work-around: Powerline. Get a set of Powerline adapters and use your motherboard's existing on-board Ethernet port - so you have a wired connection to your WiFi router.

HEY...wait a minute - you have GA-Z87M-D3H motherboard? That has TWO PCIe slots (the one closest to the CPU, and the one closest to the edge of the motherboard). The 2 in the middle are legacy PCI slots. Are you not using onboard HD 46000 graphics & you have a graphics card or something (taking up one of your PCIe slots...and your WiFi card in the other?)?

Well yes I can rip out my tplink wifi card, and put the FW card in the 4X PCIE slot which is now looking like a fairly inevitable conclusion.

Which is a pity as I really like how that card works but getting my studio live working perfectly is frankly a damn site more important for me and my clients then the option of native wifi although the wifi let me use my ipad to sound check and adjust levels from the sweet spot of the stage as well as adjust levels on stage with out running over to the mixing desk lots very handy for a sound tech.I also control my dmx lighting rig from the ipad as well.

Guess I will sell the tp link card and buy a pci wifi alternative. The reliability of FW is more mission critical and must take priority over wifi.

Need to now find a pci wifi with airplay support.

Hey thanks for the help there boom r, certainly helped me think through the options
much appreciated!

Ok it's very simple

The Startech PEX1394B3 the card you just installed was recommended some time ago.

as you will know as you have read through the entire thread other users with newer builds
aka boards with UEFI bios have not been working at all with this card regardless of sleep issues.

Also you will know as you read through the thread Boom R recommends the syba card
as an alternative.

Have you used tried the syba card yet?

And bump on any one who knows of a pci based card that should work...

I'm with you but I don't see how this one Syba will be the holy grail of compatibility considering I already have tried 4 different firewire cards now?

Anyhow, time to spend yet another £30 on an interface card that may or may not work. I'll report back once I get it installed.

Cheers for the replies Spick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back