Contribute
Register

The FireWire 800/400 card to own for 100% compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got me a DawiControl DC-FW800 PCIe to replace my Sonnet Tango800. Plug and play, works fine in first testing. TI chip.

I replaced the Sonnet because I started having clicks and pops in the audio from my MOTU 828mk2 firewire audio interface. Sounds like a clock sync issue that pops up for some minutes every hour or so, then goes away again. Only happens when I run audio into the outputs of the MOTU, monitor it in software (Ableton, Max) and play it out the outputs of the MOTU. Very strange.

The USB ports on the Sonnet had never worked under OSX anyway, only FW800. Strange coz it officially supports OSX. On ebay you go.
I would like to update my experiences with the Dawicontrol DC-FW800 PCIe and my MOTU UltraLite MK3 audio interface. I get frequent high pitched bleeps in the outputs. Doesn't happen when I connect the MOTU through USB. Not sure if the FW card is the culprit - my system also glitches audio (differently) when wifi is on - but I thought I'd give y'all a heads up.

Come to think of it: these high pitched glitches also happen when running Windows.

I used a Startech PCI1394b_3 as I only had one more open 32-bit PCI card slot left on my z87m-3dh board. I was worried as the card is actually 64-bit, so the last set of pins weren't connected to anything, but it worked out of the box without any mods to the OS and I am getting 50mb sec write and 80mb sec read speeds, which is respectable for firewire 800. It's not my primary interface, I use USB 3.0 and esata, but sometimes I get drives from clients with only firewire ports and I need it to transfer stuff over to my raid.

Hi

I have bought this Firewire Card: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002S53IG8/?tag=tonymacx86-21 which according to this thread is 100% compatible?

I copied BoomR's Golden build and he helped me quite a lot when i originally built my machine 2 years ago... but...

Since re-formatting and installing Mavericks I can not get it to work. It worked fine on Lion...

If anybody can help me please i would really appreciate it.

Thanks

John

Hi

I have bought this Firewire Card: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002S53IG8/?tag=tonymacx86-21 which according to this thread is 100% compatible?

I copied BoomR's Golden build and he helped me quite a lot when i originally built my machine 2 years ago... but...

Since re-formatting and installing Mavericks I can not get it to work. It worked fine on Lion...

If anybody can help me please i would really appreciate it.

Thanks

John

That's odd, because I believe that's the same card that I have, and it's working fine for me under Mavericks. I would try pulling out the card, then rebooting & doing a repair permissions. Then, power back down again & re-insert the card. See if that helps. If not, then next thing I'd do is do a clean install of Mavericks but without the card in the machine at the time of install. Once you have a stable new build of Mavericks, re-insert the card & try again.

I used a Startech PCI1394b_3 as I only had one more open 32-bit PCI card slot left on my z87m-3dh board. I was worried as the card is actually 64-bit, so the last set of pins weren't connected to anything, but it worked out of the box without any mods to the OS and I am getting 50mb sec write and 80mb sec read speeds, which is respectable for firewire 800. It's not my primary interface, I use USB 3.0 and esata, but sometimes I get drives from clients with only firewire ports and I need it to transfer stuff over to my raid.

I have the exact same mobo, my build is: i7 4770K, 24GB ram, GTX 770 4Gb, I bought the startech PCI1394B_3 card but my card isn't showing up? I really, really need this to work since I'm low on cash and built this pc primarily to produce music on, so is there anything I can do or try to get this working?

Thanks

edit: I tried removing/reinserting the card, I checked my bios, nothing is working. I did not install with the card already in, I added it after my build was stable.

Hey Witloofdc!

Any progress?

Considering buying the startech PCI1394B_3 card myself. :)

I have the exact same mobo, my build is: i7 4770K, 24GB ram, GTX 770 4Gb, I bought the startech PCI1394B_3 card but my card isn't showing up? I really, really need this to work since I'm low on cash and built this pc primarily to produce music on, so is there anything I can do or try to get this working?

Thanks

edit: I tried removing/reinserting the card, I checked my bios, nothing is working. I did not install with the card already in, I added it after my build was stable.

Sorry, haven't checked in on this site in a while. Unfortunately don't have much advice. I plugged mine in and it just worked. Maybe try a different slot? As I mentioned, mine was in the smaller 32-bit slot with the last row of pins not plugged into anything.

Thanks to the thread starter "thelostswede":thumbup:. I bought the Firewire Card (Startech PX1394B) used off eBay for $30 and it worked out of the box. My motherboard is quite old, it's an ASUS P5Q Deluxe. It has a built in Firewire 400. I did not bother to turn it off in BIOS as it may cause conflict with the new Startech card when installed, but I did not get any issues. Thanks and appreciate your recommendation.

succes for me pci e x16 ...work great with pt 11 and my apogee ensemble in 88.000 hrtz 32 ms latency ...lots of plugins work great very interresting thread tanx startech good choice tanx again

succes for me pci e x16 ...work great with pt 11 and my apogee ensemble in 88.000 hrtz 32 ms latency ...lots of plugins work great very interresting thread tanx startech good choice tanx again

Just curious - what motherboard (model #) and processor/CPU are you using where you are reporting the information above?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back