Contribute
Register

The FireWire 800/400 card to own for 100% compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not find anything in the BIOS.

I just tried, inserting it into another hackintosh. Also gigabyte board and 10.8.4.... and also it's not working...

It's working under windows. I already checked it... maybe wrong chip?! But the code on the chip says, it's the right one.

Hey guys,

I have just purchased a UAD-2 Quad Satellite and I'm looking for the best Firewire card for my hack. I have a Z77-UD5H.

The Satellite seems to be really specific about which Card is compatible with this device. Here is the support page for this device and it lists which macs and which cards are compatible. I'm trying to find out which one is most compatible with both my hack and the device. I'm looking for FW800 compatibility.

http://www.uaudio.com/support/uad/satellite-support

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Just wanted to say that while it is not a FireWire 800 card, the "ALI M5271 FireWire 1394 / USB 2.0" PCI card works flawlessly with my Mavericks install.

http://www.cwc-group.com/m5271.html

Provides 2 x USB ports for external devices
Provides 2 x Firewire IEEE 1394 ports for external devices
Provides 4 x USB Pin Header internal port (4+5)Pin and (4+5)Pin
Provides 1 x USB A-Female internal port
Provides 1 x Firewire IEEE 1394a 6-Pin Female internal ports

I am using this along side the PCI-E PEX1394B3 card by StarTech (the one with 1x 400 and 2x 800 ports). I want to say that I got the Ali firewire/usb card about 10 years ago, reclaimed it when I gutted my tall GateWay 2000 tower to prep it to be my new Hackintosh server system.

Not a card per se, but I built a i7 4770K on a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H board with Mavericks and a plain old Uni/Multibeast installation with default BIOS settings.

The UD5H has firewire headers (two) and I got a rear panel with a firewire port off eBay for a few bucks and voila, firewire 400 working fine out of the box. The board has plenty of speedier options, like USB 3, but this is great for legacy stuff.

Now on to trying to get the onboard SERIAL port working. Shows up in Sys Prefs>Network so if I can get a cable to the header on the board that should work too.

This card worked oob for me!

Lycom FW-101TI
LowProfile PCI Firewire IEEE1394a (i-link)
100/200/400 Mbits/seg

Thanks dtrvndrn

the DawiControl DC-FW800 PCIe it's perfect,
low price, plug&play, 100% work on osx mountain lion;
i use two IOMEGA RAID FW800 external disk (backup & storage).
:thumbup:

Do you know if this card uses a PCI > PCIe bridge as part of the chipset?

I would suggest we not let this thread degrade into lots of "I tried this card & it works perfectly" - as a reminder, the whole reason we started this thread was to try & find a card that used a 1394A/1394B chipset that was fully supported in OS X that did not use a PCI > PCIe bridge.

Many of the music guys who are looking for compatible FW cards would really like to find a card that helps to achieve the lowest latency possible. While other cards **may** work, quite a few use this bridging mechanism, which could add very small amounts of delay/latency to the signal processing.

The card in the OP uses the same chipset that is used in recent gen Macs that still have FW800 ports. That's why it was thought initially to be 100% compatible.

If you find a card whose architecture does not include this bridging mechanism, by all means please do report. But please try & refrain from a "me too" addition to the post without fully vetting your card (or getting some help with that process).

TIA!
--B

Note that other so called PCI Express chipsets, like the ones from TI are not native PCI Express FireWire chipsets. Instead, TI figured they could save some money, so the slapped their old PCI based FireWire controller on the same chip package as a PCI to PCI Express bridge and called it a day. I know a lot of the musicians and music producers out there are concerned about latency and it's possible that this is what you get with this bridge. You might as well get a native PCI card then and put it in one of the PCI slots on your motherboard, as the 6 and 7-series Intel chipsets (not counting the Q and B series) rely on a PCI to PCI Express bridge as well.

This statement does not look 100% correct...

I've been looking into this matter as I'm planning to build my first hackintosh which I will hook up to an audio firewire device. Here's my two cent after spending a few days of researching...

Texas Instruments currently seem to be shipping two different families of FW chipsets TSBxxxxxx and XIO22xxxx.
The TSBxxxxxx FW chipsets were designed for PCI while the XIO22xxxx FW chipsets were designed for PCIe.
Source: http://focus.ti.com/download/aap/pdf/1394_featured_products.pdf

Putting a TSBxxxxxx FW chipset on a PCIe card would indeed be just as efficient as putting a regular PCI card in a 6/7/8 series motherboard as both solutions would involve a PCI-to-PCIe bridge.

Regarding the LSI/Agere FW643 chipset mentioned above, note that there seem to be some issues with earlier revision (prior to Rev 7 aka FW643e).

One more topic I'd like to highlight is which PCIe slot to use, as a lot of people seem to suggest trying out different PCIe slots when having issues with audio. Note that some PCIe slots are connected directly to the CPU while others are connected to the motherboard chipset (e.g. Z87). The PCIe slots connected to the motherboard chipset will compete for I/O with other devices (SATA disks, USB devices, LAN network...). Needless to say is that the PCIe slots connected directly to the CPU are to be prefered if low latency is important to you.

I'm planning to buy a FW800 PCIe card as this is more future proof. As most firewire audio card manufacturers still seem to prefer/recommend Texas Instruments chipsets, I'm going to look for PCIe card with a TI XIO2213 chipset. (Alternatively you could opt for a PCIe card with a FW643 Rev 7 chipset (aka FW643e chipset))

I did find some cards from various vendors which use this chipset (e.g. Dawicontrol DC-FW800 PCIe, DeLock/Tragant 89210, Digitus DS-30203, ExSys EX-16415 / EX-16415-L, FireWire Direct NAVPCIEFW800 / NAVPCIEFW8002X / NAVPCIESATFW, SIIG NN-E38012-S3, Sonnet FW800-E, Vantec UGT-FW210...).
If I can find one reasonably priced, I'd probably go for the SIIG or the ExSys card... I'll let you know the outcome...

Hope this helps to shed some light on this complex matter... Any feedback or experience with the above would be highly appreciated.

I wanted to share my experience with another hackintosh solution for firewire 800/400. I bought a StarTech MPEX1394B3 mini-pcie to firewire card and it worked out of the box with my Echo AudioFire 12 on OS X 10.9.1 in Logix X. It is a "full sized" mini-pcie card, so make sure your's is compatible and not a half sized slot. It has the same firewire chipset as the known to be hackintosh-friendly StarTech PEX1394B3, which is an Agere FW643. If you have built a mini-itx box and used your only 'real' pci slot for your graphics card, but have an open full sized mini-pcie slot, check this out.
71eABAZlkML._SL1500_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back