Contribute
Register

The EZ 8000 - Core 2 Duo E8400 - Affordable CustoMac Media Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all of your help; really appreciate it.

I found an Intel Q8400 Core2 Quad Core 2.66Ghz 4GB/500GB HD/DVD-RW.

So I would need to:
1. get an 80mm exhaust fan
2. solid state drive (I'm glad for that-I wasn't sure if the SSF would support one; the base is tiny from what I've read)
3. 4GB DDR to boost it
4. suggested graphics card (if your test of it goes well)
5. Follow the other steps that you've outlined in the post​

That should do the trick?

Thanks again. Looking forward to the results with your graphics card.

HC

You found an HP 8000 with the quad core? You probably don't need the additional fan, unless you want it. I think the reason for the fan is when you upgrade the dual core model to a quad core then you'll also need more airflow. At least that's what I interpreted.

I dropped in a SSD because I happened to have one not in use at the moment. It's pretty quick with the SSD, much quicker than it was with Windows 7 with the 500GB HDD it came with (which I only used for a few minutes before I started installing OS X). I wasn't planning on using the SSD, but I don't think I can go back to a HDD now haha.

EDIT: I swear I read something in this thread about an exhaust fan, but now I don't see that anywhere...

You found an HP 8000 with the quad core? You probably don't need the additional fan, unless you want it. I think the reason for the fan is when you upgrade the dual core model to a quad core then you'll also need more airflow. At least that's what I interpreted.

I dropped in a SSD because I happened to have one not in use at the moment. It's pretty quick with the SSD, much quicker than it was with Windows 7 with the 500GB HDD it came with (which I only used for a few minutes before I started installing OSX). I wasn't planning on using the SSD, but I don't think I can go back to a HDD now haha.

EDIT: I swear I read something in this thread about an exhaust fan, but now I don't see that anywhere...

There's not really a designated spot for a fan as none of the SFF 8000's came with one in the back of the case anyway. So it would take a little bit of modding to make it work. It's only really needed if you're in a situation where it will be running full time 24/7 as a server or something of that nature. CPU intensive things that would cause heat to build up. If you're just doing occasional editing and graphics work it's probably not necessary. If you do get the fanless graphics card and were to do many long hours of video
rendering that would be one scenario where getting more airflow through the case would help. The primary purpose of this build though, is media playback instead of video editing.

Heatsink Gfx Card.jpg

On the right in this pic of the 8000 SFF you'll see the cpu heatsink, the fan is on the other side of that towards the front. So there isn't a lot of movement of air to the left of the cooler to the back of the case where there are vents. Remember this was originally a business desktop using integrated graphics for spreadsheets and word documents so they didn't really need multiple case fans to stay cool. So if you were to place a fan on the rear vent I'm not sure how one would attach it as there are no screw holes just openings. Maybe someone will come up with a solution and post it here. Before doing any kind of fan placement measure your temps during your normal usage an see if they stay low enough. BTW these can easily handle up to 16 GB of ram, 4 x 4 GB. I'm not sure about 32 GB but don't think you would ever need that much for basic media center usage. 8-12GB and possibly 16 for photo and video editing would be plenty.

If you were to go with the CMT version or Mini-Tower none of these things are issues. You can mount extra rear exhaust fans and go up to 32 GB of ram when using a Quad Core CPU. The other benefit is that you can use full height graphics cards and have more PSU wattage to work with.

There's not really a designated spot for a fan as none of the SFF 8000's came with one in the back of the case anyway. So it would take a little bit of modding to make it work. It's only really needed if you're in a situation where it will be running full time 24/7 as a server or something of that nature. CPU intensive things that would cause heat to build up. If you're just doing occasional editing and graphics work it's probably not necessary. If you do get the fanless graphics card and were to do many long hours of video
rendering that would be one scenario where getting more airflow through the case would help. The primary purpose of this build though, is media playback instead of video editing.

View attachment 175901

On the right in this pic of the 8000 SFF you'll see the CPU heatsink, the fan is on the other side of that towards the front. So there isn't a lot of movement of air to the left of the cooler to the back of the case where there are vents. Remember this was originally a business desktop using integrated graphics for spreadsheets and word documents so they didn't really need multiple case fans to stay cool. So if you were to place a fan on the rear vent I'm not sure how one would attach it as there are no screw holes just openings. Maybe someone will come up with a solution and post it here. Before doing any kind of fan placement measure your temps during your normal usage an see if they stay low enough. BTW these can easily handle up to 16 GB of ram, 4 x 4 GB. I'm not sure about 32 GB but don't think you would ever need that much for basic media center usage. 8-12GB and possibly 16 for photo and video editing would be plenty.

If you were to go with the CMT version or Mini-Tower none of these things are issues. You can mount extra rear exhaust fans and go up to 32 GB of ram when using a Quad Core CPU. The other benefit is that you can use full height graphics cards and have more PSU wattage to work with.

Don't really need 8GB for movies and TV in EyeTV, etc. I'm going to be using mine for a media centre hack but if your doing Virtual Machines etc the you will need at least 8Gb but for Video editing you'll need at least a quad core and 16GB.

Don't really need 8GB for movies and tv in EyeTV etc. Im going to be using mine for a media centre hack but if your doing Virtual Machines etc the you will need at least 8Gb but for Video editing you'll need at least a quad core and 16GB.

I can't believe how much I am learning here. This site is awesome.

I'm wanting to just do graphic design work. Adobe CS (Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver/InDesign)

Printing to large format printers for automobile wraps etc...

Also basic office tasks.

I think I'll do a quad core setup for that based on the advice from the other gentleman. I think I found a Quad Core Tower in my neighbourhood to get the fan and other components installed that you mentioned above. Going to check it out soon.

I might do the media centre build also. Anyone familiar with XBMC? Could I install that on the duel core Mac Media Machine originally posted in this feed? I don't see why not since I already have it installed on my apple tv

I dropped in a SSD because I happened to have one not in use at the moment. It's pretty quick with the SSD, much quicker than it was with Windows 7 with the 500GB HDD it came with (which I only used for a few minutes before I started installing OSX). I wasn't planning on using the SSD, but I don't think I can go back to a HDD now haha.

I think it is a few posts back.

I found a quad core SFF and now a quad core tower. I think I'll do something with both of them.

I think the 80 mm fan was mentioned for the quad core. Didn't you mention that?

I can't believe how much I am learning here. This site is awesome.

I'm wanting to just do graphic design work. Adobe CS (Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver/InDesign)

Printing to large format printers for automobile wraps etc...

Also basic office tasks.

I think I'll do a quad core setup for that based on the advice from the other gentleman. I think I found a Quad Core Tower in my neighbourhood to get the fan and other components installed that you mentioned above. Going to check it out soon.

I might do the media centre build also. Anyone familiar with XBMC? Could I install that on the duel core Mac Media Machine originally posted in this feed? I don't see why not since I already have it installed on my apple tv

For Graphic Design its more down to the GPU than the CPU but having a Quad Core is always better than a Core 2 duo. I mainly use iTunes and EyeTV for movies music TV shows and for Live TV in EyeTV. You have a choice for Graphics Cards weather you go with ATI or Nvidia. I went with a ATI Radeon 5450. Good luck with the Media Machine :thumbup: Im waiting for mine to come.

Does anyone have El Capitan running on this machine?? If so are there any major problems? I'm considering setting one up for my mom. Any advice is appreciated. Also, not to hijack the thread but @jbamford hey you have the same z77 setup as me. I'm still on Yosemite due to usb issues. Are your usb 3 and 2 ports working properly on El Capitan?

Hello. I would like to install an SSD in the HP Elite 8000. Can someone direct me to a link of a
compatible SSD caddy that will fit where the Original Hard drive goes. Thanks.

Here's a picture.

hp8000eliteopencaddy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back