Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

If you want to treat yourself, you can get a Radeon VII and install 10.14.5 Public Beta 1. Apparently works perfectly. :)

Sadly, I don't have the means for that one.

That's a lot of money https://arvutitark.ee/est/tootekata...kakaardid-VGA-AMD-Radeon-Radeon-VII591/410586
And I would have to change out my 550W PSU for a 750W one, which is also additional cost.

For my use-case scenario RX 580 or 590 does the trick (RX580 needs only a 500W psu).

My local IT stores AMD GPU LIST:

https://arvutitark.ee/est/tootekata...kakaardid-VGA-AMD-Radeon-Radeon-Rx-500-Series
https://arvutitark.ee/est/tootekataloog/Arvutikomponendid-Graafikakaardid-VGA-AMD-Radeon-Radeon-VII

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Confirm - But 4+2+1 (also the screw afterwards inside the housing for the Wifi Module) screws all together with the wifi module's mobo and it's side screw.
2) I did not remove the black 2 side-mounted screws holding the big heatsink itself together (there is no need for that - at least not in my case).
3) Confirm (I used I fix-it pry tool - the blueish thingie :D )
4) Confirm
5) If you are careful enough and the double-sided thick tape is good inside the Wifi modules housing, You can just gently wiggle and lift it up without a problem (although caution is advised as @ModMike says).
6) Confirm
7) I did not cut the housing sticker (just wiggle a tiny tiny bit and feel how it loosens).
8) Confirm. I used fix-it pry tool - the blueish thingie :D And additionally I marked my right side wire with painters tape.
9) Confirm. NB! Before switching out the cards note how low the old modules pluggable side is! So later when you have switched the modules, the new one seats properly! I added specific few pics for that!
10) As long as you have good lighting (and additionally a Magnifier with a light) and calm hands, You will succeed with the wire reseating!

*** Just take your time and don't plan on doing nothing else for a few hours so it can be a success!
Because you have to disconnect everything besides your front mounted NVM PCIe SSD, to get your mobo out!
And afterwards put everything together again (including cleaning your CPU and Cooler and reapply thermal paste and etc).
Amazing guide!!! Thank you very much:thumbup:

@ModMike .
Nothing but black screen for me when trying a new 10.14.4 Mojave UniBeast stick with your current #Post nr 1 iGPU EFI.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 13
@ModMike .
Nothing but black screen for me when trying a new 10.14.4 Mojave UniBeast stick with your current #Post nr 1 iGPU EFI.

Maybe 10.14.4 DOES NOT detect the IGPU as it's supposed too without the 19,1 platform data. Try the attached EFI, if it does not work may need one more change.

I will be standing by to help, had my email off.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.8 MB · Views: 72
@ModMike What are the patches that you have in your config.plist under ACPI used for? I do not what to use the Port Limit patch in your config.plist, I use the DDST USB Patch instead.

I've been thinking of using your EFI from Post #1 again. I have updated to 14.4 and the only thing that doesn't work is regular Audio. HDMI Audio works fine. That is mainly what I use. And I get that POST Safe Mode thing too. Will it be safe to use the EFI? I would still prefer to still to the USB SSDT though.

Last edited:
@ModMike What are the patches that you have in your config.plist under ACPI used for? I do not what to use the Port Limit patch in your config.plist, I use the DDST USB Patch instead.

Why? Aren't all your ports working properly AND at full USB 3.1 Gen 2 speeds if they are capable?

It's the only way to get full USB speeds and functionality, don't let boogeyman mythology override the facts in front of you. Did you see how I proved once and for all that the whole "Protected Memory Space" was never a thing and even if it were, it made no sense?

Boot into your windows side and use Aida64 to check your ports and you will see that the OSX enumeration matches perfectly. That's a fact that cannot be denied however tortuous the arguments are. My favorite quote:

Some people say there might be memory error by allowing port number to go above 15. That is not true because AppleUSBXHCI actually read hardware registers to allocate memory, for example activeDeviceSet is constructed from Max Device Slots value in HCSPARAMS1. Port limit checks can be safely removed. People might wonder why the first place to limit ports is in AppleUSBXHCI not AppleUSBXHCIPCI. Well, AppleUSBXHCIPCI constructs ports property and calls super class (AppleUSBXHCI) method to enumerate ports. If ports property is defined, only ports listed will be constructed. If no such property exists, AppleUSBXHCI goes through all capabilities defined in the controller. That means by deleting all ACPI USB port definitions, all ports will be enumerated!

Now that I got that off my back!

If you insist on crippling your USB ports by paving the cow path, delete all the ACPI keys and use the custom SSDT attached to the first post.

Edit: Boy will this ignite a major poopoo storm!

Last edited:
Doesn't the Port Limit Patch have to be rewritten after every update? USB 3.1 Gen 2 is not reading at capable speeds but I don't even us that port at all. I only use like 2 or 3 ports max. Also I don't have a Windows side. This is only Mojave. I decided not to dual boot. I already have a Windows PC that I build for games alone. Whats funny is that it has an intel-5-9600k in it. I thought about swapping the chips out before I began building. I left it alone because the 9600k is better for gaming.

Regardless I am still thinking about updating my EFI with the EFI you have in your 1st post. Don't know. Maybe I will stick with what you have. Everything you have put out there has been shown and proven to work.

Doesn't the Port Limit Patch have to be rewritten after every update? USB 3.1 Gen 2 is not reading at capable speeds but I don't even us that port at all. I only use like 2 or 3 ports max. Also I don't have a Windows side. This is only Mojave. I decided not to dual boot. I already have a Windows PC that I build for games alone. Whats funny is that it has an intel-5-9600k in it. I thought about swapping the chips out before I began building. I left it alone because the 9600k is better for gaming.

You missed the point of my Windows explanation. What I was saying is that I validated the patches OSX enumeration by looking at what Windows did on the same machine to prove it was correct.

Some updates may require a new patch. The last one spanned 10.1 to 10.3. And so what? We had it in less than 24 hours after 14.4 was released. In fact, I think it was around for the beta. If the biggest argument against a port limit patch is that it may not work for some future update, who cares? The same is true of kexts and Clover and a million other things!

The logic is inescapable: It works perfectly right now, if there as an update and I can't patch, then I can always go back to a custom SSDT! You have everything to gain and nothing to lose. I'm not pushing you to do anything other than use your analytical skills. You are welcome to use the SSDT patch I posted and I will still be happy to help you.

Last edited:
Back