Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are experiencing. Can you please describe again? When do you get the black screen?
I checked my settings in BIOS. Everything seems to be set correctly. Apparently the problem is in Catalina.

200414021535.jpg

hello////

Do you think you can elaborate a little @ModMike on how/what needs to be done to generate a SSDT-VEGA-64.aml? I have an Asus version, and your SSDT-VEGA-64.aml caused my Desktop to not show anything on the display via DP and all messed up on HDMI. But it is booting because I can remote into it.

I read the thread you linked to, and, honestly, I cannot find how to make my own version of this file.

Otherwise, the OC boots fine for me vs Clover, but I multi boot, and I also cannot get OC to do that, so might be staying to clover for awhile :)

But faster graphics performance would be a win in the meantime.

////thanks

You don’t need to, the Vega SSDT is included in the EFI, you just need to enable it for a net 35% gain in performance over WEG. That being said, WEG is active until you enable the SSDT so you should be able to boot to your Desktop. I have a Sapphire Vega 64 myself and have no problems. The mini guide is pretty clear but you may have missed it you can find it here.

I’m not sure why you are having trouble multi-booting, mine works fine. In fact, I just replaced my EFI with OC and Windows was there.

I’m thinking of abandoning Clover because of the horror of the last 3 releases. Also, all the most important kexts it depends on are made by the OC team anyway. It stands to reason that they will have the tightest integration between the boot loader and kexts.

They are also moving to integrate Kext functionality directly into OC where it makes sense. That means that some of critical kexts that Clover depends on will no longer be updated, potentially crippling Clover.

Now that OC has all the functionality I need, I’m willing to work with it. So far, I like what I see.

Last edited:
Hey ModMike,

Just wanted to say a big thanks for putting this everything works guide together! I followed it, and it worked perfectly for me the first time.

My hardware is a little different, i5-9600K overclocked and Sapphire AMD RX 560.
I haven't installed the dell wifi+blue tooth yet, but I have a hardwired connection, so I'll work on continuity later.

I had tried on my own with this hardware several months back and could never get it to boot, even after more than 100hours into it. Your approach was fresh and gave me the confidence to try it again.

So thanks again for taking the time to put this together.
You are the man!

It was unbelievable ... At some point, I thought that my motherboard was out of order.

I spent more than three hours recovering the BIOS.

What I tried to do:

- reset CMOS
- I took out the video card
- I tried to restore the BIOS from a flash drive
- He pulled out RAM
- Tried changing DisplayPort to HDMI
- Switch ports from the video card to the motherboard

None of this helped me. I wasted a ton of time.

Fortunately, I managed to solve the problem. I used the official ASUS EZ Update utility for Windows 10, which I downloaded from the official site. Through it, I installed the previous (latest) version of the BIOS, which I also downloaded from the ASUS website. The procedure took about three minutes, after which my BIOS again worked correctly. The black screen problem has been resolved.

I still don’t know why my BIOS stopped working during OpenCore testing, but maybe this is somehow related to a critical CMOS error after shutting down the Mac. If you ever encounter such a problem, you can solve it this way.

I just realized something. I had some issue when moving between the two. It seems OpenCore wrote something to the NVRAM that messed up Clover. I had boot parameters in the NVRAM section of Clover Configurator. Very weird.

@ModMike, I tried to run your latest EFI, but there were some issues. The iGPU version is starting up fine, but I got some huge issues in the graphics. Looks like everything is ****ed up there... I guess the inject ATI and the boot arguments shouldn't be in the iGPU version.
I just use my old config.plist and everything is running fine, EXECT of the SLEEP. I tried to reset the NVRAM with Mac optimizer, but not success. Do I have to to do anything else on the Mac optimizer?

Sorry I missed your post. Not really, did you use the execute all on the 2nd to last tab? Also run Hackintool and check the power tab. Check the top of the guide and click on "Having trouble Sleeping?". It will bring you to the section with the fix.

Despite buying the exact wifi/bluetooth card in this guide and following it exactly, I can't seem to get bluetooth working! Any advice?

You have an ORIGINAL Dell DW 1560? There are a lot of clones that don't work out there. Where did you buy it? If you did buy a clone it would be great if we could figure out how to make it work, the supply is drying up and is getting expensive.

The one and only remedy is to try it in Windows to make sure it works properly. Once you confirm that, we can take it from there.

Is it simply a matter of substituting the EFI folder?

Feartech is right but if you just want to try it out, copy it to FAT32 formatted USB stick and set your BIOS to boot from it.

Last edited:
@Feartech @Stork I just realized I forgot to ask: Is it ok to support opencore in this forum? Is there any policy towards it?

Also, how do I enable signatures? I want to link back to specific parts of my guide.

Thanks!
@ModMike Will you continue to develop ASUS Z390-i only on OpenCore? Do we give up Clover in the future?

Back