Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

Did you check your BIOS to make sure all the wake activities (such as Wake on LAN) are switched off? Did you set your system prefs properly?

View attachment 461918
Once I reset CMOS, and then set the settings as in the topic header. I will need to check my wakeup settings in the BIOS.

Screenshot 2020-04-13 at 18.46.54.png

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are experiencing. Can you please describe again? When do you get the black screen?
I turn on the computer. My computer is turning on. The ASUS ROG logo appears on the screen, and F2 / Del is lit to enter the BIOS. I press the F2 button, and after that the BIOS opens. Instead of BIOS, I just see a black screen on the monitor. My monitor continues to work, but a completely black page is displayed.

Thanks to heads up from @iDrakus and incredible support from @mattystonnie, I was able to try the direct injection of graphic buffers with both Clover and OpenCore. The original thread starts here, midway down the page.

Results:

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 11.34.26 AM.png

As you can see, the results are spectacular. I picked up an average of a 35% performance boost!

A few caveats for our build:
  1. There are SSDTs for Radeon RX 5700 XT, Radeon RX 5500 XT, and Vega 64. You can add your own but please go to the linked thread for info on or support on how to make them. There should be plenty more forthcoming.
  2. I was advised to remove WEG, but, when I did, the connector mapping was wrong, and I ended up losing my DP ports and 1 HDMI. I also could not run any metal based tests, geekbench would freeze. I put WEG back and still got the same results so I left in.
  3. I am currently running it on OpenCore. I put all 3 SSDTs in the EFI that can be found in post #1. This will make it easy for you to boot and select the right SSDT as shown below using OC Configurator. I know people will scream at me for supporting it but I think more users will move to OpenCore with the support of GUI configurators.
If you have one of the supported cards and want to configure OpenCore for it:
  1. Download the EFI in post #1 and copy it to a FAT32 formatted USB stick. You will use that to boot until you validate everything works for you.
  2. Find and install OpenCore Configurator, it's written by the same people who make Clover Configurator
  3. Click on the bottom left corner of the Configurator and navigate to the config.plist on your USB
  4. Go to the NVRAM tab and click on the get NVRAM Data for both drop down entities.
  5. Delete the agdpmod=pikera boot argument as shown

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 12.10.27 PM.png

6. Go to the ACPI tab and select the GPU buffer you want to enable

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 12.05.29 PM.png

7. Save the file, reboot and enter BIOS
  8. Set the boot device as UEFI on your USB
  9. Save and reboot
  10. If everything works, you can also remove the -v (verbose mode) from the NVRAM page shown in step 4
  11. Once you are satisfied everything works, erase the EFI on your boot partition and copy over the one from the USB

The last step is to insert your computers MAC number and any existing serial numbers you may already have.

12. Go to the SMBIOS section and copy over your system serial # and UUID if you have a one from a previous install of Clover or OC.
  13. Click on the Devicehub tab to enter your MAC address
  14. Click on the From System button to enable the MAC button
  15. Click on the MAC button and OCC will get your MAC number from the system
  16. Click on the From SMBIOS to re-enable SMBIOS

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 12.42.26 PM.png

17. Click on save in OCC to save your work
  18. When you reboot, select the Erase NVRAM, it's the last option in the OC boot menu. This step is critical if Clover was previously installed or if you are going back to Clover
  19. When it reboots, go into BIOS and set your boot drive, erasing the NVRAM casques mine to lose its boot priority for some reason.

Last edited:
Thanks to @iDrakus' heads up and with incredible support from @mattystonnie I was able to try the direct injection of graphic buffers with both Clover and Opencore. The original thread starts here, midway down the page.

Results:

View attachment 461933

As you can see, they are rather spectacular, I picked up an average of a 35% performance boost!

A few caveats for our build:
  1. There are SSDTs for Radeon 57000 XT, Radeon 5500 XT, and Vega 64. You can add your own but please go to the linked thread for info on or support on how to make them. There should be plenty more forthcoming.
  2. I was advised to remove WEG but when I did, the connector mapping was wrong and I ended up losing my DP ports and 1 HDMI. I also could not run any metal based tests, geekbench would freeze. I put WEG back and still got the same results so I left in.
  3. I am currently running it on opencore. I put all 3 SSDTs in the EFI that can be found in post #1. This will make it easy for you to boot and select the right SSDT as shown below using OC Configurator. I know people will scream at me for supporting it but I think more users will move to opencore with the support of GUI configurators.
If you have one of the supported cards and want to configure opencore for it:
  1. Download the EFI in post 1 and copy it to fat32 formatted USB stick. You will use that to boot until you validate everything works for you.
  2. Find and install OpenCore configurator, it's written by the same people who make Clover Configurator
  3. Click on the bottom left corner of the configurator and navigate to the config.plist on your USB
  4. Go to the NVRAM tab and click on the get NVRAM Data for both dropdown entities.
  5. Delete the agdpmod=pikera boot argument as shown

View attachment 461957

6. Go to the ACPI tab and select the GPU buffer you want to enable

View attachment 461962

7. Save the file, reboot and enter BIOS
  8. Set the boot device as UEFI on your USB
  9. Save and reboot
  10. If everything works you can also remove the -v (verbose mode) from the NVRAM page shown in step 4
  11. Once you are satisfied everything works, erase the EFI on your boot partition and copy over the one form the USB
  12. The last step is to insert your computers MAC number. Go to your macs System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced -> Hardware
  13. Copy the mac address
  14. Paste it and remove all the : as shown (need to validate)
Be careful with that software. It has been known to mess up config.plist's.

@ModMike. This is a great job, thank you very much! I will test my 5700 XT card with and without this setting to see how much my performance will increase by 5700 XT.

I want to switch to OpenCore completely, but I do not need to first understand why Bluetooth in my case does not work.

You can use PlistEdit Pro to work with Config. I have been using it for many years.

I think you should create a separate theme for the Z390-i on OpenCore. If this is not done, users will begin to get confused, which already exists now. In this case, everyone will be able to understand what kind of loader in question (Clover or OpernCore)

@ModMike thx for your work. Everything work "out of the box"
and my GTX780 works perfectly without any changes in clover config. (maybe I need to change shikigva=40)
I run some tests later, but on a first look runs smoothly and fast.
BTW, how you control Asus aura lighting?

@ModMike thx for your work. Everything work "out of the box"
and my GTX780 works perfectly without any changes in clover config. (maybe I need to change shikigva=40)
I run some tests later, but on a first look runs smoothly and fast.
BTW, how you control Asus aura lighting?

I'm not, at least not yet. There are some projects such as macAura (which doesn't work yet) and openRGB linux which we MIGHT be able to port.

Last edited:
@ModMike, I tried to run your latest EFI, but there were some issues. The iGPU version is starting up fine, but I got some huge issues in the graphics. Looks like everything is ****ed up there... I guess the inject ATI and the boot arguments shouldn't be in the iGPU version.
I just use my old config.plist and everything is running fine, EXECT of the SLEEP. I tried to reset the NVRAM with Mac optimizer, but not success. Do I have to to do anything else on the Mac optimizer?

@ModMike, I tried to run your latest EFI, but there were some issues. The iGPU version is starting up fine, but I got some huge issues in the graphics. Looks like everything is ****ed up there... I guess the inject ATI and the boot arguments shouldn't be in the iGPU version.
I just use my old config.plist and everything is running fine, EXECT of the SLEEP. I tried to reset the NVRAM with Mac optimizer, but not success. Do I have to to do anything else on the Mac optimizer?

No they should not be, no idea why they are, I keep removing them and even set to no in the plist. Can you send me a screen shot of where you saw it on?

You can also try the OpenCore EFI on the first page. Just copy to a formatted FAT32 USB and boot from it. You will need to change the model number to 19,2 if you don't have a discrete video card.

Thanks!

No they should not be, no idea why they are, I keep removing them and even set to no in the plist. Can you send me a screen shot of where you saw it on?

You can also try the OpenCore EFI on the first page. Just copy to a formatted FAT32 USB and boot from it. You will need to change the model number to 19,2 if you don't have a discrete video card.

Thanks!
Is your OpenCore suitable for the 5700 XT card?

Back