Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

I'll donate my Intel card if someone want to do such a test, but really a moot point for me at this point. Card not supported under macOS, so it was pitched. I wish the Dell card would have worked for me, but for whatever reason it did not. Found a solution that works for me, and have moved on.

It states the board supports the standard. Does not say it's the only way it operates. The same may apply to the socket itself. It may support a CNVi card, if present, but may also support legacy ones.

I guess a better way to test this hardware interchangeability would be to try under Windows, where drivers are available. If it runs under Windows, the problem is not hardware connection, but actually hardware compatibility with the OS.

Maybe get that supposedly CNVi board and plug it in an older MoBo?

I still think you are trying to reinvent the wheel. You don't have the hardware and are apparently unable to commit to buying and testing yourself. Seems like you need to make some decisions with the information available. In the link below there is a discussion about CNVi you should find interesting and from there you can decide how you want to proceed.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/broadcom-wifi-bluetooth-guide.242423/page-28

I still think you are trying to reinvent the wheel. You don't have the hardware and are apparently unable to commit to buying and testing yourself. Seems like you need to make some decisions with the information available. In the link below there is a discussion about CNVi you should find interesting and from there you can decide how you want to proceed. I'd be posting there instead of this forum.

I still think you are trying to reinvent the wheel. You don't have the hardware and are apparently unable to commit to buying and testing yourself. Seems like you need to make some decisions with the information available. In the link below there is a discussion about CNVi you should find interesting and from there you can decide how you want to proceed.

What I trying to do here is assess my possibilities and try to build the smallest possible system.

I'm about to pull the trigger and buy the DW1560. I went trough 10 or more pages on this thread but i still have some doubts :
- I have a Strix Z370-i gaming in which i can apply the same solution @ModMike applied (at least I'm positive i can). Does it really need to be the DW1560? Isn't the DW1820A also a nice fit (and cheaper?). I'll run the system via Ethernet, I just want the card for airdrop and similar features.
- Is there any other OOB solution (no kexs - if the DW1820A can't be applied) that can also be applied to the same slot? I don't have extra PCIe slots.

thank you in advance.

Does it really need to be the DW1560? Isn't the DW1820A also a nice fit (and cheaper?). I'll run the system via Ethernet, I just want the card for airdrop and similar features.

I've seen some people say it should work with the DW1820A, but I've not actually seen any success cases. You may search through this topic (quite long).

Is there any other OOB solution (no kexs - if the DW1820A can't be applied) that can also be applied to the same slot? I don't have extra PCIe slots.

Yes, you can use a genuine apple wifi card through an adapter on that slot, but that will require you to ditch part of the IO shield assembly. See what @negatv did here

I've seen some people say it should work with the DW1820A, but I've not actually seen any success cases. You may search through this topic (quite long).

Yes, you can use a genuine apple wifi card through an adapter on that slot, but that will require you to ditch part of the IO shield assembly. See what @negatv did here

Thanks for the quick reply. I’m not sure I would be able to live with “destructing” the shield. I think mine (Z370-i) is different as the NVRAM heatsink is not as big. So maybe is just a matter of using the adapter and the card he used.

The Z370-I would not need to remove the shield. You have full access to the small metal box that the wifi card resides in. At which point you can try the various cards. I have my own opinion as to what works best (and it won't fit inside the small metal box).

The Z370-I would not need to remove the shield. You have full access to the small metal box that the wifi card resides in. At which point you can try the various cards. I have my own opinion as to what works best (and it won't fit inside the small metal box).
Thats exactly what I was thinking. What do you reckon would be the best? I was inclined on going with your solution (ngff adapter plus BCM94360CS2... I don’t really care for the speeds (ill have wired internet) , just want the features...

I’m a fan of this combo. No kexts needed and readily (and cheaply) available.

I do the same, gigabit Ethernet and just have the WiFi/BT for continuity features (which work well).

Back