Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

Strongly considering this build, but I have a slightly preference for Gigabyte cards. Do you know if this wifi module replacement trick work for Gigabyte boards as well?
Do yourself a favor and buy a motherboard that has more than one pcie expansion slot. That would allow you to use an adapter in one of them for an Apple Airport card....natively supported! Lots of folks have battled the Dell 1560 card, and some have lost, trying to get bluetooth working.

Last edited:
But this topic shows a success with the Dell 1560. Or has this changed?
If you were to read through the various posts from the start of the thread you would find what I’m referring too. It’s actually a CNVI slot on the board and the card is M2 in format. Modemike started a separate thread about how ignorance was bliss and that not knowing it shouldn’t work didn’t keep him from trying. I sold that board after getting it to work but it wasn’t an out of the box experience. I still recommend a larger board for more expansion slots and the available options but that’s me. If you want to opt for an ITX Gigabyte board search for those threads instead of here if you want answers.

I'd have preferred to have an extra PCI-E slot and couple more DIMM sockets, but I was set on building a diminutive beast in an Ncase M1 this time around, so this board fit the bill perfectly. No issues since ditching the Dell 1560 card for the NGFF adapter and Apple Broadcom Wifi/BT card(as discussed previously in this thread).

If you were to read through the various posts from the start of the thread you would find what I’m referring too. It’s actually a CNVI slot on the board and the card is M2 in format. Modemike started a separate thread about how ignorance was bliss and that not knowing it shouldn’t work didn’t keep him from trying. I sold that board after getting it to work but it wasn’t an out of the box experience. I still recommend a larger board for more expansion slots and the available options but that’s me. If you want to opt for an ITX Gigabyte board search for those threads instead of here if you want answers.

Thanks for the info. I'm new to hackintosh, and I'm not really sure if not being out of the box matters that much, as long as it works. I'm coming from a MacBook Pro and notebooks in general for the past 10 years, so I'd really love a small build, so this shift to hackintoshes is going to too much of a leap.

That being said, I do need WiFi, and I'd like to have a graphics card. This idea of fitting the Dell 1560 card inside that small enclosure on the MoBo IO shield feels like what I was looking for. What concerns me is that @ModMike screenshot on OP highlights 12Mb/s (or is that Bluetooth?)

Has anyone with this setup benchmarked the WiFi speeds / range?

I'd have preferred to have an extra PCI-E slot and couple more DIMM sockets, but I was set on building a diminutive beast in an Ncase M1 this time around, so this board fit the bill perfectly. No issues since ditching the Dell 1560 card for the NGFF adapter and Apple Broadcom Wifi/BT card(as discussed previously in this thread).

I've seen your posts but I really don't want to remove the VRM cooling, as I plan to overclock.
I also already have 2x16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200, so I guess I won't need much more RAM.

I even have a official Apple WiFi card here from my dead 2013 MacBook Pro. It's very likely working OK, but it is too tall for this setup.

Another option would be to buy way longer pigtails and mount it on a regular M.2 slot, but it would very likely also need to lose its heatsink.

That heatsink was all about "gamer" looks, tossed it and replaced with individual heatsinks that actually make meaningful contact with the VRMs. 9900k chugging along nicely. Not sure M.2 slots would work for BT, as I don't believe there is the required USB connection to make that work. Besides, I couldn't bear to do away with a perfectly good M.2 slot as I filled those with NVME disks.

As for the "12Mb/s" Bluetooth, that has nothing to do with wifi speeds. It's the USB connection that the Bluetooth portion of the card uses. Can't speak to benchmarks, mine is connected to my 802.11AC access point and seems fine to me. Since it uses an external antennae I'd suspect range to be pretty good. That said, I use gigabit Ethernet for my desktop machines.

That heatsink was all about "gamer" looks, tossed it and replaced with individual heatsinks that actually make meaningful contact with the VRMs. 9900k chugging along nicely. Not sure M.2 slots would work for BT, as I don't believe there is the required USB connection to make that work. Besides, I couldn't bear to do away with a perfectly good M.2 slot as I filled those with NVME disks.

As for the "12Mb/s" bluetooth, that has nothing to do with wifi speeds. It's the USB connection that the bluetooth portion of the card uses. Can't speak to benchmarks, mine is connected to my 802.11AC access point and seems fine to me. Since it uses an external antennae I'd suspect range to be pretty good. That said, I use gigabit ethernet for my desktop machines.

Yeah I know those are more for show than for hard dissipation, but still, I don't think I can some up with a better alternative. Does the one you removed comes with a heatpipe?

Also, regarding M.2 for another nvme drive, it will likely work crippled. Usually you only have 1 NVMe 4x slot. Others are either 2x or SATA. It may be different on ITX boards bc you don't have that many slots consuming PCIe lanes.

No heat pipe on the stock unit, just a block of aluminum that looks neat and uses a strip of thermal transfer material on one bottom edge that barely touches the VRMs.

Both of the NVMe disks installed on this board are running 4x.

I have managed to successfully install Mojave but only with the iGPU.

I have a GTX 1080 Ti that I took from an Alienware Desktop but have been unable to get the BIOS or boot menu to display from it.

I have read a few other forums that there may be compatibility issues with ASUS motherboards and GTX 1080 Ti.

This is posing as a problem because I can't run my Hackintosh with the GTX 1080 Ti.

The GTX 1080 Ti runs perfectly fine with my Windows 10 on the same motherboard.

Might anyone have any idea how to go about fixing this?

The BIOS shows up when I connect it directly to the iGPU, and I have tried tinkering with the BIOS iGPU or PCIe settings.

Asus ROG Strix Z390-i Gaming
i7-8700K
GTX 1080 Ti

Thanks in advance!

Back