Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

Some examples (most all of them).....
  1. In the main screen middle left, set X.M.P. to Enabled
    1. BIOS Utility - EZ Mode - XMP - Enabled
  2. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > Primary Display > PEG (leave on auto if you don’t have a separate graphics card)
    1. Advanced Mode - Advanced - System Agent Config
  3. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > IGPU Multi-Monitor > Enabled for DGPU, Disabled for IGPU
  4. Save and reboot to activate the RC6 and DVMT settings
  5. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > RC6(Render Standby) > Off - This settings disables a power saving feature that could potentially crash the system
    1. Advanced mode - Advanced - System Agent Config
  6. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Configuration > Above 4G Decoding > Enable
  7. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > DVMT Pre-Allocated > 128
  8. Advanced Items > USB Configuration > XHCI Hand Off > Enabled
  9. Advanced mode - Advanced - USB
  10. Boot Menu > Boot Option 1 > UEFI USB installer drive (or whatever you named it, UEFI will be automatically prepended)
  11. Exit > Save Changes
    1. click EZ mode at bottom of screen then Save & Exit
I guess my point being keeping bios menu directions verbatim to what people will see as they move through the menus. Instead of Exit > Save Changes....the BIOS menu is click "EZ mode" at bottom of screen then "Save & Exit"

This is with all respect to all the time you have put into this as you seem to be a perfectionist and your guide has been invaluable for many members including myself....namaste.

Last edited:
Some examples (most all of them).....
  1. In the main screen middle left, set X.M.P. to Enabled
    1. BIOS Utility - EZ Mode - XMP - Enabled
  2. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > Primary Display > PEG (leave on auto if you don’t have a separate graphics card)
    1. Advanced Mode - Advanced - System Agent Config
  3. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > IGPU Multi-Monitor > Enabled for DGPU, Disabled for IGPU
  4. Save and reboot to activate the RC6 and DVMT settings
  5. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > RC6(Render Standby) > Off - This settings disables a power saving feature that could potentially crash the system
  6. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Configuration > Above 4G Decoding > Enable
  7. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > DVMT Pre-Allocated > 128
  8. Advanced Items > USB Configuration > XHCI Hand Off > Enabled
  9. Advanced mode - Advanced - USB
  10. Boot Menu > Boot Option 1 > UEFI USB installer drive (or whatever you named it, UEFI will be automatically prepended)
  11. Exit > Save Changes
    1. click EZ mode at bottom of screen then Save & Exit
I guess my point being keeping bios menu directions verbatim to what people will see as they move through the menus. Instead of Exit > Save Changes....the BIOS menu is click "EZ mode" at bottom of screen then "Save & Exit"

This is with all respect to all the time you have put into this as you seem to be a perfectionist and your guide has been invaluable for many members including myself....namaste.

Great feedback I agree, I will also post screen shots. Thank you for the help.

Another satisfied customer! Up and running for about 10 days now, everything works like a charm, rock solid! Thanks for all the hard work and support Mike! Good stuff!

@ModMike thank you so much for this great guide!

I’ve decided to get the ATX version (ASUS Z390-F), since I already have a BCM94360CD PCIe card and I'm also able to install a Thunderbolt PCIe card in case I will need it.

"For the moment“ I’ve took an i3-8100 because it will probably be sufficient for my daily usage (mostly office and sometimes Lightroom+Photoshop). I will decide in the next days whether to return the i3 and get a bigger one or keep it. Until then either MacMini8,1 or iMac18,3 are both fine!

I still had a Sapphire HD7950 which also runs OOB.

EDIT: NVRAM didn’t work OOB, EmuVariable alone didn’t do the trick, had to install the RC scripts, is that normal or should it also work without the RC scripts?

Last edited:
Minor (really minor) issue:
I'm using a Corsair H115i PRO AIO instead of a custom water cooling, it comes with a USB cable, that you have to attach to the pump, the other end is a USB2 header to put in the only place of this motherboard, between audio and case buttons headers. Well that Corsair Link keeps the system awake. It run in sleep mode but after one second fans restart spinning, LEDs switch on but the monitor stay black until you move the mouse or press a key.

I solved just by not using Corsair link, but it will be nice if it was possible to prevent system wake up from that USB.

As I said is really minor and maybe not in the purpose of this guide to solve this

Minor (really minor) issue:
I'm using a Corsair H115i PRO AIO instead of a custom water cooling, it comes with a USB cable, that you have to attach to the pump, the other end is a USB2 header to put in the only place of this motherboard, between audio and case buttons headers. Well that Corsair Link keeps the system awake. It run in sleep mode but after one second fans restart spinning, LEDs switch on but the monitor stay black until you move the mouse or press a key.

I solved just by not using Corsair link, but it will be nice if it was possible to prevent system wake up from that USB.

As I said is really minor and maybe not in the purpose of this guide to solve this

What advantage does the Corsair link give you if you can’t run their software? Why not just use the AIO header on the motherboard? All you can do is control pump speed anyway.

Finished migrating to 19,1. Pretty easy really:
  1. Add -no_compat_check to boot arguments
  2. Change SMBIOS to 19,1
  3. Unhide your recovery partition
  4. Save your config.plist
  5. Reboot from recovery
  6. Make sure you are plugged into a network and start the recovery
Some say the boot argument can be removed but I can’t boot without it.

Only difference I saw so far is that the apps load at least 10 times faster at boot. I autoload a bunch of work apps every time I boot.

Need to redo overclock and Geekbench but I’m sure it will be similar.

What advantage does the Corsair link give you if you can’t run their software? Why not just use the AIO header on the motherboard? All you can do is control pump speed anyway.
Use it under Windows, and with openCorsairLink using macOS, it is really small thing but as I found it I reported :)

Nice you moved to 19,1. Are you using 10.14.5 o 10.14.4? Faster boot is always welcome

Got a problem installing.

I created the USB and replaced the EFI folder etc.

When I go to install, the Apple logo comes up, but, as soon as the progress bar get to roughly 50%, it stops with no video output and no HDD activity light. I followed the first post exactly with regards to BIOS settings and creating the USB.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Well, I've had to call it a day on Mojave for now. Thanks for the help...it's really appreciated.

Last edited:
Use it under Windows, and with openCorsairLink using macOS, it is really small thing but as I found it I reported :)

Nice you moved to 19,1. Are you using 10.14.5 o 10.14.4? Faster boot is always welcome

I understand. I am on 10.14.4 but I can't seem to force the special build to install. Could be my faster open was from reinstall. Will update when I get the special build.

Back