Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

I had no adhesive in mine and I suppose it could be improperly seated. Before you go to those lengths, move the following to /library/extensions:

AirportBrcmFixup.kext
BrcmFirmwareData.kext
BrcmPatchRAM2.kext

If that works I will have serious egg on my face!

Edit: And if that does not work, replace BrcmFirmwareData.kext with the attached in /L/E. I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that you already had BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext already in /L/E or left over from an old EFI in /Others.

That's why I always suggest people delete their EFI folder and before copying the new EFIs in to avoid ending up with vestigial files left over from old EFI's. You can always back up your config.plist if you want.

Edit 2: Just realized you are using an Asus Z390-E. No idea if there any differences I should know about.

I have to wait for more DW1560's to arrive maybe I have another bad card or Asus Z390-E has a whitelist in the Bios for the WIFI for that slot only or does that sound impossible?

Edited:

Installed windows has same problems; even the Intel default WiFi card was not seen until I loaded optimized Win BIOS. Then the Intel device was loaded in device manager. If I swap the Intel for DW1560, it does not show any WiFi device that’s for both DW1560 cards. If I load optimized results after I replace it back with Intel, it isn’t recognized again in Windows. I’ll reset the CMOS Sunday and see if this resolves the issue. This is not a MacOS issue something going on with the BIOS/motherboard/WiFi cards.

Last edited:
I have to wait for more DW1560's to arrive maybe I have another bad card or Asus Z390-E has a whitelist in the Bios for the WIFI for that slot only or does that sound impossible?

Edited:

Installed windows has same problems; even the Intel default WiFi card was not seen until I loaded optimized Win BIOS. Then the Intel device was loaded in device manager. If I swap the Intel for DW1560, it does not show any WiFi device that’s for both DW1560 cards. If I load optimized results after I replace it back with Intel, it isn’t recognized again in Windows. I’ll reset the CMOS Sunday and see if this resolves the issue. This is not a MacOS issue something going on with the BIOS/motherboard/WiFi cards.

I compared the specs of the Z390-I and Z390-E and they look identical.

I can’t understand why you don’t see it in Windows other than it’s disabled in BIOS for some reason. I hope you are checking in onboard devices in WiFi to make sure.” It’s enabled.

If you are loading optimized defaults it should set it as enabled, which is what seems to have happened when it finally detects it.

Where are you buying the card? Is it possible the cards BIOS is some incompatible version?

You probably should order it from Dell Directly.

@ModMike
I ordered mine from a Dell vendor here in Estonia.

The Dell vendors description: 6XRYC, WRLES,M.2,DW1560,AC,WW

I hope it will work when it arrives in 2 weeks or so :)

@osxfr33k

Check in Windows device manager under network adapters to see if Broadcom appears. If it does we are halfway there.

Try this to see if you can it to work in Windows.

Also, check in Windows device manager under network adapters to see if Broadcom appears. If it does we are halfway there.

Last edited:
No no. I just chimed in.
I have to get my first one :)

Well neither is from Dell but a trusted seller on Ebay.
@osxfr33k

Check in Windows device manager under network adapters to see if Broadcom appears. If it does we are halfway there.

Try this to see if you can it to work in Windows.

Also, check in Windows device manager under network adapters to see if Broadcom appears. If it does we are halfway there.

I updated the bios to the latest version on Asus's site after I had these issues which continue after the update so it's not Bios version related and nothing shows up in Device Manager for either the Intel or Dell card until I actually go into the Bios, Exit Menu and load Optimized, then the Intel card loads and ready to use in windows. When I replace it with the Dell card, nothing shows up in device manager, then I replace the card back to intel nothing shows up in device manager. I go back into the Bios, load optimized settings and I still have nothing in device manager for the Intel card. Something happens when I insert either one of the DW1560 cards into that slot. I bought 8 cards from a trusted person on Ebay and all 6 of 8 are working fine on my laptops. I am doubting these last two are faulty.

I have more coming from Dell this time so we will see but I am doubting it has anything to do with the current Dell cards.

I will reset the CMOS in about 30 minutes or so and report here.

Last edited:
Well neither is from Dell but a trusted seller on Ebay.

I updated the bios to the latest version on Asus's site after I had these issues which continue after the update so it's not Bios version related and nothing shows up in Device Manager for either the Intel or Dell card until I actually go into the Bios, Exit Menu and load Optimized, then the Intel card loads and ready to use in windows. When I replace it with the Dell card, nothing shows up in device manager, then I replace the card back to intel nothing shows up in device manager. I go back into the Bios, load optimized settings and I still have nothing in device manager for the Intel card. Something happens when I insert either one of the DW1560 cards into that slot. I bought 8 cards from a trusted person on Ebay and all 6 of 8 are working fine on my laptops. I am doubting these last two are faulty.

I have more coming from Dell this time so we will see but I am doubting it has anything to do with the current Dell cards.

I will reset the CMOS in about 30 minutes or so and report here.

The Asus Z390-I, and presumably the Z390-E, WiFi slot is CNVi, which used to be a problem from what @pastrychef told me. He was surprised that my card actually worked because you typically couldn't use that slot for the DW1560.

A few people in this thread confirmed that the DW1560, DW1820a, and the DW1830 works in the CNVi slot. Please note that the DW1560 is recommended because it is the same size as the one on the board. The other 2 are slightly longer and don't fit in the OEM RF shield. The DW1830 also needs a 3rd antenna.

I've read claims of "fake" DW1560s which is why I got a used one from a trusted American vendor. That being said, I can't vouch for the veracity of these reports, you will need to dig in yourself to find out if there is such a thing. I suspect they may just be cloned cards with old firmware.

There have been many reports of the DW1560 working in OSX but NOT in Windows. What * MAY * be happening is your case is that your motherboard is shutting down the CNVi slot when it sees the DW1560 by turning WiFi off in BIOS. You can easily check this hypothesis by setting WiFi to Enabled saving, rebooting, and checking it again to see if it changed to Disabled.

There is a possibility you need to update the card's firmware, which I * think * is done by installing the Windows drivers that can be downloaded from Dell. Try this:
  1. Download the drivers from Dell in Windows using the Intel card (if you don't have a hard wired connection)
  2. Shut down and install the Broadcom card
  3. Go to bios and set the following:
    1. Advanced > Onboard Devices Configuration > Wi-Fi controller > Enabled
    2. Advanced > Onboard Devices Configuration > Bluetooth controller > Enabled
    3. Advanced > USB Configuration > Legacy USB Support > Enabled (The card runs on an intenral USB bus. If everything works put it back to auto when done)
    4. Advanced > USB Configuration > XHCI > Enabled
  4. Boot into your system and install the drivers, it will say failed but they actually work
  5. Reboot into Windows
  6. Right click on the start bar and select Device Manager
  7. Select Network Adapters and click on Broadcom 802.11ac
  8. Select the Power Management tab and untick the Allow Computer to turn off this device to save power
  9. See if Bluetooth is listed in the Network Adapters
  10. Try to use WiFi and Bluetooth to make sure they work
  11. Try it in Mojave.
Good luck, let me know how it turns out.

Last edited:
...Asus Z390-E has a whitelist in the Bios or the WIFI for that slot only or does that sound impossible?

Sorry forgot to answer:

I don't think I ever heard of component motherboards having White Lists. Those are typically found in branded laptops to force people to use proprietary parts.

The Asus Z390-I, and presumably the Z390-E, WiFi slot is CNVi, which used to be a problem from what @pastrychef told me. He was surprised that my card actually worked because you typically couldn't use that slot for the DW1560.

A few people in this thread confirmed that the DW1560, DW1820a, and the DW1830 works in the CNVi slot. Please note that the DW1560 is recommended because it is the same size as the one on the board. The other 2 are slightly longer and don't fit in the OEM RF shield. The DW1830 also needs a 3rd antenna.

I've read claims of "fake" DW1560s which is why I got a used one from a trusted American vendor. That being said, I can't vouch for the veracity of these reports, you will need to dig in yourself to find out if there is such a thing. I suspect they may just be cloned cards with old firmware.

There have been many reports of the DW1560 working in OSX but NOT in Windows. What * MAY * be happening is your case is that your motherboard is shutting down the CNVi slot when it sees the DW1560 by turning WiFi off in BIOS. You can easily check this hypothesis by setting WiFi to Enabled saving, rebooting, and checking it again to see if it changed to Disabled.

There is a possibility you need to update the card's firmware, which I * think * is done by installing the Windows drivers that can be downloaded from Dell. Try this:
  1. Download the drivers from Dell in Windows using the Intel card (if you don't have a hard wired connection)
  2. Shut down and install the Broadcom card
  3. Go to bios and set the following:
    1. Advanced > Onboard Devices Configuration > Wi-Fi controller > Enabled
    2. Advanced > Onboard Devices Configuration > Bluetooth controller > Enabled
    3. Advanced > USB Configuration > Legacy USB Support > Enabled (The card runs on an intenral USB bus. If everything works put it back to auto when done)
    4. Advanced > USB Configuration > XHCI > Enabled
  4. Boot into your system and install the drivers, it will say failed but they actually work
  5. Reboot into Windows
  6. Right click on the start bar and select Device Manager
  7. Select Network Adapters and click on Broadcom 802.11ac
  8. Select the Power Management tab and untick the Allow Computer to turn off this device to save power
  9. See if Bluetooth is listed in the Network Adapters
  10. Try to use WiFi and Bluetooth to make sure they work
  11. Try it in Mojave.
Good luck, let me know how it turns out.

It didn't work and just to clear things up the Wifi/BT is always enabled in BIOS when things don't work. It's also a combined setting in the Asus Z390-E motherboard. Maybe the Z390-E is more stringent on that port. Its ok I'll put the intel back in for Windows and put one of my BCM Adapters will real mac BT/Wifi card 94360, that way I don't have to use any kexts it will be 100% native.

I bought a few of them a couple years ago not sure what is current for the latest macs, I'll check Tony's Guide for that. Thanks for helping great troubleshooting methods you posted!

Back