Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

No Icon, Dell DW1560, latest Bios.

You should at least see wifi. Were you the one who thought he had a bad card and ordered another one? Check the following:

You should be using my latest EFI, I had a file mixup a while back. This is what should be in your EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder, I highlighted the 2 critical BRCM patches you need for this to work:

Check that you do not have any of these or other BRCM patches such as BrcmFirmwareRepo in the /Library/Extensions folder.

Once you are all set, reboot and let me know if it works.

Also, make sure you didn't turn off WiFi in BIOS.

Reboot and it should work.

I posted the EFIs in post #1 as release candidates because everything works for at least 2 people with different configs. I put RC on it only because I want a few more user to confirm that the USB port limit removal patch works for them.

I would also like to catch up with those of you who have posted a build in this thread. I will be including you in post #1 at some point so people don't have to read the whole thread to see what config successful hackers had.

I am featuring 3 users who have worked hard and posted frequently to advance the guide. Please check your name and let me know your build status, outstanding issues, confirm the equipment I listed (especially the GPU brand!), and if you are using the latest EFIs on your system. If I missed your name, or you haven't posted but are using this guide, please let me know so I can add you.

BOLD configs are confirmed TEWBs, others have not reported back yet.

All-Star Hackers

DGPU
@aztlan78 - MSI RX-560, i5-8400
@Monkey303 - Gigabyte RX 560, i7-8700K​
@saik13 - Sapphire Vega 64, i9 9900K
Hackers

IGPU
@klard1219 - i7 8700K (Radeon VII on hand, will reportedly be supported in 10.14.4 (sort of works on Beta 6)​
DGPU
@frfkevin - Sapphire RX-590 Nitro+
@joetgt1 - RX 590, i5-9600K
@johnnyebasta - GTX 1080 TI, i7-8700, MSI Z390 PRO​
@letuanduong3011 - RX 580, i7-8700K, Z390-F​
@ModMike - Sapphire Pulse RX-580, I7-8700K
@osxfr33k - GTX 770, i9-9900K​
@pekopeko - RX 580, i9-9900K
@t77Hack - RX 580, i7-8700K​
@velovelovelo - RX 480, i7-8700K, ASUS Z390-E​
In-Progress Hacks
@c.emc
I installed my Wifi/Bluetooth card today. Reset iCloud data and have handoff working well. I've updated with your latest EFI and so far, no problems. Not sure what it was or if it'll resurface but, a few times on previous EFI versions, i experienced random restarts. Once or twice, the computer hung up then restarted. At least once, the computer just went black and restarted. I had a QT player going; a video chat program running (starleaf), Chrome and at least 3 complex excel docs. Maybe a memory thing? Not really sure as I haven't duplicated the issue yet. In the last 2 days I haven't experienced that, which is great.

If you are not plugged into your onboard card, look in your EFI partition to see if the NVRAM file is being updated by checking the creation date after every boot.

Where is the NVRAM file?

I installed my Wifi/Bluetooth card today. Reset iCloud data and have handoff working well. I've updated with your latest EFI and so far, no problems. Not sure what it was or if it'll resurface but, a few times on previous EFI versions, i experienced random restarts. Once or twice, the computer hung up then restarted. At least once, the computer just went black and restarted. I had a QT player going; a video chat program running (starleaf), Chrome and at least 3 complex excel docs. Maybe a memory thing? Not really sure as I haven't duplicated the issue yet. In the last 2 days I haven't experienced that, which is great.

I was not injecting the Device ID like I thought I was about 2 versions back. Instead of manually patching, I did everything through Clover Configurator so it would be immediately apparent if I made a mistake. I also applied a port limit removal patch so you should have all your USB ports at FULL speed.

You should be fine now, no one has reported any instability so far.

You should at least see wifi. Were you the one who thought he had a bad card and ordered another one? Check the following:

You should be using my latest EFI, I had a file mixup a while back. This is what should be in your EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder, I highlighted the 2 critical BRCM patches you need for this to work:

View attachment 394687

Check that you do not have any of these or other BRCM patches such as BrcmFirmwareRepo in the /Library/Extensions folder.

Once you are all set, reboot and let me know if it works.

Also, make sure you didn't turn off WiFi in BIOS.

Reboot and it should work.

I even grabbed a new motherboard and got a new Wifi card. Is it possible I have not inserted it fully into the slot? Any other way of testing it maybe with Ubuntu Live or even a quick windows install I suppose?

I know the original Intel Card you have to remove it off the pad that has adhesive but did you replace it with double sided tape or sticky glue to get that adhesive affect or did nothing for that part? I am taking it apart again and just inserting the card only to see if its not being seated all the way in when its inside it case.

I even grabbed a new motherboard and got a new Wifi card. Is it possible I have not inserted it fully into the slot? Any other way of testing it maybe with Ubuntu Live or even a quick windows install I suppose?

I know the original Intel Card you have to remove it off the pad that has adhesive but did you replace it with double sided tape or sticky glue to get that adhesive affect or did nothing for that part? I am taking it apart again and just inserting the card only to see if its not being seated all the way in when its inside it case.

I had no adhesive in mine and I suppose it could be improperly seated. Before you go to those lengths, move the following to /library/extensions:

AirportBrcmFixup.kext
BrcmFirmwareData.kext
BrcmPatchRAM2.kext

If that works I will have serious egg on my face!

Edit: And if that does not work, replace BrcmFirmwareData.kext with the attached in /L/E. I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that you already had BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext already in /L/E or left over from an old EFI in /Others.

That's why I always suggest people delete their EFI folder and before copying the new EFIs in to avoid ending up with vestigial files left over from old EFI's. You can always back up your config.plist if you want.

Edit 2: Just realized you are using an Asus Z390-E. No idea if there any differences I should know about.

Attachments

• BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Awesome, glad to here you are up and running. Does everything work? Did you have issues installing The DW1820a? I thought it was a little bigger than the OEM one which is why I recommend the DW1560, which is identical in size to OEM intel card.
did not measure it but it seems its the same size, everything works ! :headbang:

Those are already in the EFI. Using BrcmFirmwareData means you installed in /Library/Extensions/ folder. Had you followed the guide you wouldn't have had that issue because it worked for @saik13 .

I find a lot of builders "outsmart" themselves by jumping all over the place and integrating conflicting advice into their methodology which ultimately leads to failure and more importantly, frustration.

The reason I know this is that was me in the beginning, as you can see from about 40 pages of this thread. I finally took the time to research everything option and kext I was using and then everything just worked. It also helped me sort fact from myth.

Please don't get me wrong, I have no issue with you doing that and am happy it works for you, it just makes helping people out harder for me.

Welcome to the club, I am marking you as succeeded!

No problem. I had WiFi/BT card from a MacBook Air. I deleted those kexts before the install (your EFI folder was OK!). That's why I needed to install them back.

The foam adhesive pad that is attached to the OEM card I believe is just a spacer to prevent the card from wobbling around too much. I did leave it in when I installed a replacement without applying new double sided tape (it was still sticky), but I don't think it should have an effect on the card's functionality.

Back