Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

How many ou

Amazon can have it to you tomorrow depending on where you are. A few questions:
  1. Did you have to manually reboot or was the system able to do it by itself?
  2. Were there any hiccups or it just chugged along?
  3. Were the steps too granular?
Thanks!

The system was able to reboot by itself. No hiccups! The instructions in this thread is the only reason I am able to get my build working. I worked on it using the vanilla guide online and couldn't figure it out. Also thanks to you and anyone else in this thread that resolved my kernel panic and graphics issues!

The system was able to reboot by itself. No hiccups! The instructions in this thread is the only reason I am able to get my build working. I worked on it using the vanilla guide online and couldn't figure it out. Also thanks to you and anyone else in this thread that resolved my kernel panic and graphics issues!

Super! I was hoping I eliminated the black screen hang, looks like I did it.

I will update the guide tomorrow, thanks for the feedback!

Out of curiosity, I also wanted to monitor my stats, so I downloaded HWSensors, and I placed the various sensor kext into the EFI, however, there was also FakeSMC. I didn't copy that one over fearing it would make my system not work, since we already have one. Rebooted, and I still don't have any extra data in HWMonitor. What should I do?

Out of curiosity, I also wanted to monitor my stats, so I downloaded HWSensors, and I placed the various sensor kext into the EFI, however, there was also FakeSMC. I didn't copy that one over fearing it would make my system not work. Rebooted, and I still don't have any extra data in HWMonitor. What should I do?

FakeSMC and all the sensors are already installed in your EFI/Clover/kext/other/ folder. I broke with convention and do not install anything into /Library/Extensions/ folder ever. If you do, you could break the install.

That’s what makes my method so easy. Read the spoiler entitled The Great Kext Schism in my guide for reasons.

Cue the indigent comments....

Just install the HWMonitor and it should just work. Why does that sound so familiar?

so...after days of trying, here i am:

- ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING
- 32GB RAM 3000MHz GSkill
- Intel 17-8700 (standard cooler) up to 4.790GHz
- ADATA 256GB M.2 drive
- Samsung EVO 960
- 4x WD RED 4TB
- Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB

Installed Mojave then High Sierra then switch back to Mojave again.

I donno what are the differences between the Z390-I and Z390-E (mine)....but i cant manage to have a clean install directly on this board...i had to use an MSI B250 with i5-7700 to install it and then move the M.2 drive on the Z390-E board: everything works except the WIFI that is not recognised at all and the BT that is recognised but somehow not working (not discovering/discoverable).

I don't need the WIFI just the Gigabit ETH connection but i am going to get a Dell BT card to use BT Keyboard and Mouse.

Going to BUILD a desk case for my "editing" setup; i will post pics just to show it :)

Switched back to RX 580 because is directly recognised by Mojave, while waiting for nVidia WebDriver for my 1080ti, i am going to try 2x RX 580 in crossfire and see what happens :-D

Will try also to fix the boot screen (blank ATM) problem with p/n mod on the 580 BIOS: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...x580-pulse-into-the-mac-edition-card.2101909/

Going to build another "Video Editing Hackintosh" with the more RAM capable Gigabyte X299 Designare

Cheers

p.s. if someone wants to suggest how to fix the BT issue, it will be more than appreciate! :)

LAST BUT NOT LEAST: can't get good video quality (output like windows style) with a reference HDMI 2.0 certified cable....while the result are gorgeous with an old HDMI 1.4 cable.....can't understand why. With the 1.4 cable i can get only 2160p@24Hz instead of 60Hhz (suggestion needed :) )

EDIT: managed to fix screen resolution on my Sony 43" HDR to 2160p @ 60Hz with SwitchResX

Last edited:
So after using this build for a week or two, i restarted the system, after typing the password instant reboot, anyone had/having such issues ?

So after using this build for a week or two, i restarted the system, after typing the password instant reboot, anyone had/having such issues ?

See post #734 on page 74 to see a list of people who reported perfect installations (names in bold). I have not heard from the others.

Can you list of all your components? Also did you start clean from this guide or did you piece together your install from several guides?

If you’re using my EFI only, when did you download it?

Last edited:
so...after days of trying, here i am:

- ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING
- 32GB RAM 3000MHz GSkill
- Intel 17-8700 (standard cooler) up to 4.790GHz
- ADATA 256GB M.2 drive
- Samsung EVO 960
- 4x WD RED 4TB
- Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB

Installed Mojave then High Sierra then switch back to Mojave again.

I donno what are the differences between the Z390-I and Z390-E (mine)....but i cant manage to have a clean install directly on this board...i had to use an MSI B250 with i5-7700 to install it and then move the M.2 drive on the Z390-E board: everything works except the WIFI that is not recognised at all and the BT that is recognised but somehow not working (not discovering/discoverable).

I don't need the WIFI just the Gigabit ETH connection but i am going to get a Dell BT card to use BT Keyboard and Mouse.

Going to BUILD a desk case for my "editing" setup; i will post pics just to show it :)

Switched back to RX 580 because is directly recognised by Mojave, while waiting for nVidia WebDriver for my 1080ti, i am going to try 2x RX 580 in crossfire and see what happens :-D

Will try also to fix the boot screen (blank ATM) problem with p/n mod on the 580 BIOS: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...x580-pulse-into-the-mac-edition-card.2101909/

Going to build another "Video Editing Hackintosh" with the more RAM capable Gigabyte X299 Designare

Cheers

p.s. if someone wants to suggest how to fix the BT issue, it will be more than appreciate! :)

LAST BUT NOT LEAST: can't get good video quality (output like windows style) with a reference HDMI 2.0 certified cable....while the result are gorgeous with an old HDMI 1.4 cable.....can't understand why. With the 1.4 cable i can get only 2160p@24Hz instead of 60Hhz (suggestion needed :) )

EDIT: managed to fix screen resolution on my Sony 43" HDR to 2160p @ 60Hz with SwitchResX

You are all over the place. Building a Hackintosh is unforgiving. Either you have a ton of experience and you are able to custom configure a system, or you find a recipe that works and you stick to it.

You say you have 4 drives. On the Z390-I you cannot use sata port 2 if you’re using the on-board NVMe drive. If you are that could be the source of all your grief.

It’s also been said many times in this thread that the intel WiFi / Bluetooth card that comes with ASUS boards is incompatible with Hackintoshes. Full stop.

Lastly, forget about the Nvidia card for now, insisting on making it work from the beginning is a bad idea. Get the rig running then mess with it.

I don’t understand what you are trying to accomplish but if I needed a portable system, I would probably go with new MacBook or Mac mini with an external GPU. I’m sure lot’s of people will disagree, and it certainly depends on what you need it for, but if you are doing shows, reliability and portability are critical.

If you do decide to go the X299 route, I strongly suggest you follow @vince8ks, he has a serious case of competence and knows exactly what he’s doing.

Good luck!

I had the same issue at one point, my particular case was that macOS was trying to restore my opened windows and apps, etc., after some sort of failure. But some of the tweaks I had made in the BIOS were causing the system to be unstable when macOS tried reopening all of these apps. (I believe I had some of the tweaks @ModMike mentioned at the time, and then some extras, like XMP I profile and AI Enhanced processor overclocking.)

To get macOS to boot up properly past the login screen, I just had to get into BIOS and set any overclocking/tweaks back to Auto or the optimized defaults. After a proper boot, you can most likely change these settings back so long as your system is stable.

Actually, I just thought of something. I was doing some testing while using 18,3 and plugged an HDMI into my onboard graphics and the same thing happened. I also had similar problems when my system was unable to write the NVRAM file to the EFI partition.

If you are not plugged into your onboard card, look in your EFI partition to see if the NVRAM file is being updated by checking the creation date after every boot.

Last edited:
Back