Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

Thank you, it looks like I already have shikigva=80 in config.plist as shown in the instructions :/
Did you try using Chrome or Firefox browsers?

Hi. I am trying to install Big Sur on my Hackintosh since some days, but I am stuck.
I am running Catalina on a NVMe and want to install Big Sur on the second drive (a Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD). I have come so far that I can install the first phase until the first reboot then boot into the MACOS Updater and the 2nd phase runs until 21 minutes left. Then I get this error (see attached screenshot and Log File)
I tried with the Opencore DGPU EFI from page 1 with no success. I think the driver APFSDriverLoader.evi in the EFI is unnecessary as in Opencore 0.6.4 it is already included in Opencore Main. And I needed to add the NVMeFfx.kext, because without that the downloaded Big Sur Installer always showed a CRC error. But after that changes I still get beyond the attached error message.
I was able to reinstall Catalina on the Samsung 860 QVO with the same EFI. But no Big Sur.
Do you have a clue what is going wrong? Can someone give me a hint?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    65.7 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20201225_130520.jpg
    9.9 MB · Views: 35
  • install-log.txt
    33.9 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Hi. I am trying to install Big Sur on my Hackintosh since some days, but I am stuck.
I am running Catalina on a NVMe and want to install Big Sur on the second drive (a Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD). I have come so far that I can install the first phase until the first reboot then boot into the MACOS Updater and the 2nd phase runs until 21 minutes left. Then I get this error (see attached screenshot and Log File)
I tried with the Opencore DGPU EFI from page 1 with no success. I think the driver APFSDriverLoader.evi in the EFI is unnecessary as in Opencore 0.6.4 it is already included in Opencore Main. And I needed to add the NVMeFfx.kext, because without that the downloaded Big Sur Installer always showed a CRC error. But after that changes I still get beyond the attached error message.
I was able to reinstall Catalina on the Samsung 860 QVO with the same EFI. But no Big Sur.
Do you have a clue what is going wrong? Can someone give me a hint?
Can you translate the error message into English and post that too?

Hi Leesureone.
The Message in the Screenshot means ""An error occurred preparing the software update ".
Good Morning from Germany.
If you search the web for that error message there are a lot of hits suggesting it is an Apple issue, they apparently are having some download issues

Success!!:)
When writing my request for help here, I realised that after All the Drive I am installing to is a SATA Drive. Then I remembered there was a hint here
the SATA support was broken in Big Sur so I added the "Catalina's patched AppleAHCIPort.kext" as recommended there and blocked the Original AppleAHCIPort.kext. After that the Big Sur Installation was working fine.
After all your EFI on page 1 was a good point to start with, and it already helped me to just write down my question to this forum to get the idea for the solution. Thank you for maintaining this forum!
I attach my working EFI here. Maybe someone with the same issue may need it.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    65.8 MB · Views: 78
Success!!:)
When writing my request for help here, I realised that after All the Drive I am installing to is a SATA Drive. Then I remembered there was a hint here
the SATA support was broken in Big Sur so I added the "Catalina's patched AppleAHCIPort.kext" as recommended there and blocked the Original AppleAHCIPort.kext. After that the Big Sur Installation was working fine.
After all your EFI on page 1 was a good point to start with, and it already helped me to just write down my question to this forum to get the idea for the solution. Thank you for maintaining this forum!
I attach my working EFI here. Maybe someone with the same issue may need it.
I’ll have to keep that in mind, well done.

If you search the web for that error message there are a lot of hits suggesting it is an Apple issue, they apparently are having some download issues
Yes there seem to be many with download issues.
But I think this error message is rather universal. I comes for various reasons.
Someone claimed there was not enough free space on the volume and freeing up space fixed his problem. Another claimed that downloading it again and restarting the Mac before installing resolved his issue, and yet another wrote he needed to downgrade and then upgrade again in order to be able to install Big Sur.
As none of those tips helped for me in my case I went for the SATA issue and that fixed it for me.

I've used the OC 0.6.4 GPU beta. I've removed the `APPLE` folder and `ApfsDriverLoader.efi` and I've added my own USBPorts. Everything works fine \o/

However, I have another problem, once I restart the system, EFI cannot be recognized and I get redirected to BIOS. Once there I select my hard drive, I get no options in Boot Override, then I switch the tab to a different one (i.e. Tool), switch back and then I get two Boot Override options.

The first one doesn't work but the second one boots the system without any issues.
Note: I have only a hard-drive on my computer.

EFI works good, since my colleague has the identical setup as I do and he's been running without any issues. I used OC 0.6.2 before upgrading for two months without any issues.

Will BIOS reset help here? Some EFI shell magic?

Thanks!

1609181633300.png

Last edited:
I've used the OC 0.6.4 GPU beta. I've removed the `APPLE` folder and `ApfsDriverLoader.efi` and I've added my own USBPorts. Everything works fine \o/

However, I have another problem, once I restart the system, EFI cannot be recognized and I get redirected to BIOS. Once there I select my hard drive, I get no options in Boot Override, then I switch the tab to a different one (i.e. Tool), switch back and then I get two Boot Override options.

The first one doesn't work but the second one boots the system without any issues.
Note: I have only a hard-drive on my computer.

EFI works good, since my colleague has the identical setup as I do and he's been running without any issues. I used OC 0.6.2 before upgrading for two months without any issues.

Will BIOS reset help here? Some EFI shell magic?

Thanks!

View attachment 502858
That's happened to me before on that platform (and others). I found this older thread at the time which talks about Clover as well as EasyUEFI and how to restore the EFI boot partition which somehow gets hidden. I was using OpenCore but also already had Windows installed on another drive so I downloaded the free version of EasyUEFI and figured out how to add back the boot partition on my OS X drive. I've since bought the program but the free version is good for 15 days I think.

Back