Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

Wanting to give OpenCore a try but my setup is slightly different. Sorry if this is obvious and I'm missing something simple, but I'm a bit of a novice.....
When ModMike updates Clover EFIs and posts to the first post, I am able to just copy over my serial numbers in the SMBIOS section. I'm following along with the Clover Conversion page on git and it references the SMBIOS info from Clover should be entered under PlatformInfo - Generic. Is this the only section where the system info needs to be added? There is also a SMBIOS section under PlatformInfo with serial number so I'm just a little confused.

You understood correctly, the area to change it is under Platform/ Genetic. The second entry I believe was added by using OpenCore Configurator and is redundant and can be deleted.

I followed your guide to the letter and everything works. Thank you very much for the guide and the files/folder for Clover. This is an amazing guide. I had zero issues so far.

I have the same mainboard Asus Z390-I but I ordered "Dual band Wireless Hackintosh BCM94360NG WIFI Card NGFF M.2 1200Mbps Bluetooth4.0 NGFF 802.11ac Wlan Adapter DW1560" from Ali Express, they do not have the one you used in stock anymore but this also worked right away too, no issues, very fast. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Handoff, Airdrop, Continuity, etc... Everything is functional.

Since I had read some users had some issues with the new Radeon GPUs. I opted for cheaper and safer Saphire Radeon 580 8gb. Also works flawlessly so far. I also went for i5 6 core 3.7 ghz CPU. Also half the price of i7. Also recognised directly. System Overview shows iMac (Retina 5k, 27inch 2019). I went big for the memory 64 gb 3200mhz DDR4. Storage M.2 Pciexpress 1tb. So all these are totally compatible with this guide. I prepared bootable usb with Unibeast, copied for folder for Clover, booted, installed followed the steps to the letter and all good. Similar setup iMac 27 inch with 64 memory costs around 3.6k$ so great budget saving guide. Thank you again.

I also updated macOS directly from System Update from 10.15.4 to 10.15.5 without any issues. All worked great. During first reboot update shows up like another boot option so you choose that one and when the update finalises, the boot option goes back to only one disk.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-29 at 22.40.17.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-29 at 22.40.17.png
    31 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot 2020-05-29 at 22.40.08.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-29 at 22.40.08.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 55
Hi @ModMike . Did you already dig into Z490 chipsets? What are your thoughts? I noticed there not too much difference between 390 and 490, but for sure WiFI module is different, so I’m not sure it will be working at all.

And in general before buying motherboard how it’s possible to know whether its module will be working natively or not? Of course we can always replace it with DW1560, but also it would be good to have WIFI6 module working with the new motherboard. Maybe there is already some information that tells for sure modules in new motherboards don’t work and we need to buy some new specific modules for WiFi 6 (like we did with DW1560 for example)?

Hi @ModMike . Did you already dig into Z490 chipsets? What are your thoughts? I noticed there not too much difference between 390 and 490, but for sure WiFI module is different, so I’m not sure it will be working at all.

And in general before buying motherboard how it’s possible to know whether its module will be working natively or not? Of course we can always replace it with DW1560, but also it would be good to have WIFI6 module working with the new motherboard. Maybe there is already some information that tells for sure modules in new motherboards don’t work and we need to buy some new specific modules for WiFi 6 (like we did with DW1560 for example)?
There is no 'White List" of compatible solutions that's for sure, its pretty much buy one and cross your fingers. That's what @ModMike did here, there is a post in another thread where he says it was dumb luck the M2 card worked. So if you are talking about a CNVi slotin a comparable Z490 board it may very well work....or it may not.

The Z390 Gigabyte boards with CNVi slots don't according to @pastrychef so it really comes down to if you want to be the pioneer or wait for someone else to try it and post the results. Same for the Z490 chipsets in general, what is it going to take to get those to run OSX?
If you check the buyers guide there are no Z490 boards listed....yet.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to boot my config with Catalina.
I have a 2TO HDD that I partitioned (1) and made GUI table (OS journalized). Since I pulled out the nmvd SSD, I made some progress for the install.
I followed all the steps.
I boot from the key, clover is here, the apple is showing and the bar is progressing... but I continuously come back to Clover - that has the decency of changing its menu colour :) (more than 3 times !).
I am obviously missing something... but what ?
Thanks for your help !

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to boot my config with Catalina.
I have a 2TO HDD that I partitioned (1) and made GUI table (OS journalized). Since I pulled out the nmvd SSD, I made some progress for the install.
I followed all the steps.
I boot from the key, clover is here, the apple is showing and the bar is progressing... but I continuously come back to Clover - that has the decency of changing its menu colour :) (more than 3 times !).
I am obviously missing something... but what ?
Thanks for your help !
The installer typically reboots 3 times and each time will need to return to the Clover menu. Are you paying attention to the selections in the Clover menu the second time it comes up? It should show Mac OSX Install or some such from the name of your hard drive instead of the USB Drive. Just a note that a mechanical hard rive is really going to chug trying to keep up with Catalina APFS formatting. Super slow load times....

The installer typically reboots 3 times and each time will need to return to the Clover menu. Are you paying attention to the selections in the Clover menu the second time it comes up? It should show Mac OSX Install or some such from the name of your hard drive instead of the USB Drive. Just a note that a mechanical hard rive is really going to chug trying to keep up with Catalina APFS formatting. Super slow load times....
Thanks for your quick reply.
No new special notification on the second time... What should i do then ?
About the HDD, I know... but as I don't have the specific plugs for formatting the ssd I intent to start first with the HDD and if it's a success I will format the ssd and install catalina on it !

Thanks for your quick reply.
No new special notification on the second time... What should i do then ?
About the HDD, I know... but as I don't have the specific plugs for formatting the ssd I intent to start first with the HDD and if it's a success I will format the ssd and install catalina on it !
After you reach the Catalina install window it let's you choose the HDD to install too? Then install proceeds and reboots? Then what shows on the clover boot screen the second time? What are your choices?

Back