Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

I'm currently using a USB Audioengine D1 Dac would it be possible to enable controlling the volume with the keyboard? So far i can use it and hear the audio and all but i have control the volume manually.

Not from what I understand about AppleALC.

So everything is up and running so far for a few days in new to all this. So as far as the gpu side of it does this look right or am I missing something?

Attachments

• IMG_20200404_151730.jpg
    IMG_20200404_151730.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 50
Now I am experiencing three problems.

1. The Sidecar function does not work for me. Shows a black screen on the iPad Pro.

2. After shutting down and rebooting, I often get a CMOS reset error on the motherboard (this is a common problem on macOS 10.15.4).

3. Sometimes my computer leaves sleep mode for 1-2 minutes, and then falls asleep (sometimes it does not fall asleep). I believe that the problem is in the 5700 XT graphics card, but I don’t know how to solve it.

So I have been working extensively on your sleep issue. I untinitionally replicated your issue after cleaning up the EFI. As usual the problem is with NVRAM.

I used Mac Optimizer to clean it and ran all of it's other routines, after which, sleep worked perfectly. I am waiting for authors permission to attach it or link to it.

Last edited:
@iDrakus I spent the whole day refining my EFIs to address the issues you were having. I posted the new EFIs on the first page.

Notes:

1) Stripped any old renames or patches that are deprecated
2) Removed inject Intel
3) Added macoptimizer to tools folder of EFI

@iDrakus The new EFI should resolve all your issues:
  1. Mount your EFI partition
  2. Delete the folder or drag to a backup folder
  3. Drop my EFI in
  4. Navigate to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Tools/ where you will find Mac Optimizer 2.5c1.zip, install it in applications
  5. Click on the Extras tab and then on Execute All at the bottom of the screen
  6. Reboot and prepare to be happy
Do everything above and make the following change to your BIOS:
  1. Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > Primary Display > IGPU
That is ALL you have to do to get FCPX to rerun. Forget about patching and renaming, that is all taken care of by WEG. I checked their GitHub and they say that patching is no longer necessary:

WEG Pre-requisites

First you must remove all IGPU injections, settings, fake id's .. etc from Clovers config.plist, failure to do so can cause conflicts with WhatEverGreen resulting in unexpected results.

Install the latest versions of Lilu and WhatEverGreen in to /L/E (see the How to Install section towards the top of this guide) and reboot your computer.

Installing WhatEverGreen should take care of renaming all of the required device identities in the ACPI tables for us so if you have any of the following Clover ACPI Fixes/Renames in your config.plist you should remove or disable them:-
  • Change/Rename GFX0 to IGPU
  • Change/Rename PEG0 to GFX0
  • Change/Rename HECI to IMEI
The above Clover ACPI Fixes/Renames use a global/generic method of renaming the ACPI identities in the ACPI tables that can cause problems for us later on. WhatEverGreen finds the specific ACPI code that requires new ACPI identities using more specific methods and thus does a much better job.

I am working on your sound issue, meanwhile I went back to layout 1 and it seems to work. Please let me know what issues you have after using the new EFIs and the BIOS config change.

Last edited:
i tried to install Catalina today, because after last night my FCPX and Motion cannot launch.
and now when tried install Catalina, this happens :
View attachment 457199

but when i restart this option show up:
View attachment 457218
so i click the one on the right, this happend :
View attachment 457219
it looks like reguler hackintosh installation, except in the end this happend :
View attachment 457220

so i restart again, this is still boot on the USB installer btw and then this menu show up :
View attachment 457221
im never seen this ever when hackintosh-ing. and if i click that, this screen appears :

View attachment 457224
so i restart again and choose this one :
View attachment 457226
and somehow the installation continue :
View attachment 457227

this is not normal right? i clearly doing something wrong?
i will update again when i can boot to catalina desktop

update 1 :
with all the wierd thing above, i can boot to catalina desktop. BUT :
View attachment 457234
1. HDMI/displayport audio still suddenly mute after around 2 minutes of playback
2. FCPX still cannot open/crash.

update 2:
1. i reset the CMOS and reconfigure BIOS again just in case.
2. Try the USB installer at every usb port at z390-i strix mobo (including usb2)
3. still stuck at " an Error occured while preparing the installation. Try running this application again.

how to do now? im so confused with this build. anyone can help me?
thx before everyone

If you install Catalina with my new EFIs and BIOS change from my previous post, I will try to resolve your audio issue. I believe it has something to do with this:

Acidanthera said:
  • How do I get HDMI audio to work?
    In general it should be enough to rely on AppleALC automatic HDAU correction. It renames the device to HDAU, and injects missing layout-id and hda-gfx (starting with onboard-1) properties. This will not work well with two or more cards of different vendors (e.g. NVIDIA and ATI/AMD), please manually inject the properties in such a case. You may also use -radnoaudio boot argument or no-audio-autofix GPU controller property to explicitly disable any audio-related property changes.
    For identifiers not present in AppleHDAController and AppleHDA you have to add necessary kext patches, see AppleALC example for 290X.

Last edited:
@iDrakus The new EFI should resolve all your issues:
  1. Mount your EFI partition
  2. Delete the folder or drag to a backup folder
  3. Drop my EFI in
  4. Navigate to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Tools/ where you will find Mac Optimizer 2.5c1.zip, install it in applications
  5. Click on the Extras tab and then on Execute All at the bottom of the screen
  6. Reboot and prepare to be happy
This is strange, but it does not work for me.

When using your EFI, I do not see the desktop (lock screen). Instead, I see a black screen, and loading takes 2 to 3 times more than usual.

I am using additional arguments (AMD 5700 XT): agdpmod=pikera shikigva=80 -radnogva

This is strange, but it does not work for me.

When using your EFI, I do not see the desktop (lock screen). Instead, I see a black screen, and loading takes 2 to 3 times more than usual.

I am using additional arguments (AMD 5700 XT): agdpmod=pikera shikigva=80 -radnogva

When do you not see the lock screen? After loading? After sleep wake?
  1. shikigva=80 is for DRM, get rid of it or disable for testing
  2. agdpmod=pikera changes the board ID
  3. radnogva disables HEVC capabilities all GPUs, why use it
Did you add these arguments to my EFI? If so please stop. Try it exactly the way you get it no additional arguments, then add them once you get it to work.

I know it's tough to understand every setting but the one thing I learned is that if you thread hop to to copy settings without understanding what they do, or worse yet, how they may affect a pre-packaged EFI like mine, you will outsmart yourself.

Can you try again without arguments? Also did it solve your sleep issue?

Good luck.

@iDrakus I realized I forgot to tell you to delete WEG. Please use the attached EFI and let me know how it works. This should do it for you unit WEG is fixed for the 5700XT.
This still does not work for me. With this EFI, I can’t turn on my Catalina, since at the end there is a black screen and a reboot.

BEA9F0C0-51AD-4CA4-B335-742E601695CA.jpeg

It does not work by default without changes. When adding the pikera argument, this also does not work.

Perhaps the matter is InjectSystemID

Last edited:
This still does not work for me. With this EFI, I can’t turn on my Catalina, since at the end there is a black screen and a reboot.

View attachment 459739

It does not work by default without changes. When adding the pikera argument, this also does not work.

Perhaps the matter is InjectSystemID

No that should not make a difference though you can always try. Try to disable IGPU in BIOS and add agdpmod=piker.

How many monitors do you have and how are they plugged in and where?

If all else fails, re-enable IGPU, use the IGPU-EFI from post #1, pull the 5700XT, plug monitor into MB DP port and boot. Set everything up as needed.

If that works well, we can re-install the 5700XT and work out the issue once it runs properly.

Edit: Just saw a few posts and that’s what people who got it to work are doing.

Last edited:
Back