Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

@SergDrakus
Oh, now I understand what you mean by working in BIOS. That I can’t tell you that because I’m using a USB keyboard. But the Magic Mouse 2 is not recognized although I’m not sure the BIOS works with BT keyboards at all. Not to state the obvious but once you get the system stable using a USB keyboard you shouldn’t have to mess with it anymore and can just use the Magic keyboard. Model is BCM94352ZAE_3. I got it off Amazon for like $69 last year sometime.

Last edited:
I was answered from the support service of ASUS Russia.

I asked if I replace the Wi-Fi module in the motherboard with another, third-party, whether the warranty will be voided.

They replied that no, but the replacement should be done carefully so as not to damage anything on the motherboard. They also said that if you contact the service center, you will need to install the original module in place of the replaced one.

This is good news for me. I’ll try to “get” my BCM94360CS2 without kext.

The letter is in Russian, but you can easily translate it into English via Google Translate.

Support ASUS 5.png

I read that the external metal cover on the motherboard is needed to cool the VRM, but it does not have any thermal pads and has a small area of contact with the motherboard.

Tell me please, how much more will the motherboard heat up without this cover? Has anyone made such comparisons and tests?

07ed26bf-3499-45b7-924b-3120a649497d.jpg

I read that the external metal cover on the motherboard is needed to cool the VRM, but it does not have any thermal pads and has a small area of contact with the motherboard.

Tell me please, how much more will the motherboard heat up without this cover? Has anyone made such comparisons and tests?

View attachment 432397
Mine has thermal pads covering a whole line of VRMs. Maybe it wouldn’t be an issue if you weren’t overlooking but I couldn’t tell you one way or the other. Also to your keyboard issue if you’ve got the magic keyboard 2 it should work in the bios if you plug it in via the lightning cable.

View attachment 432397

If you are really concerned with heat dissipation then one option is to do what a couple of other users have done. Cut minor openings into the shield. Void the warranty, probably. The DW1560 card works great, I've ordered a M.2: BCM94350ZAE/DW1820A to try on another machine. Its also a half card (which you need to fit under the shield without modification).

WiFi and Bluetooth working out of box on macOS with Apple branded Broadcom BCM94360. Enables specific half mini and M.2 BCM94352 on macOS with methods described below. Credit: RehabMan

This thread does not support:
  • macOS/Continuity
  • Atheros/Qualcomm WiFi/Bluetooth
  • Intel CNVi Wifi/Bluetooth
Change Log
v1.1 - 10/26/2018: 10.14 support, AirportBrcmFixup replaces all previous WiFi methods
v1.0 - 1/5/2018: 10.13/Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth support

Previous thread: [Guide] Airport - PCIe Half Mini v2/Deprecated

Broadcom WiFi + BT (2 antennas, except as noted)
  • PCIe/x1: BCM94360CD - native WiFi/ac and BT4LE (3 antennas)
  • PCIe/x1: BCM94331CD - native WiFi and BT4LE
  • M.2: BCM943602BAED/DW1830 - native WiFi/ac and BT4LE (3 antennas)
    • Laptop issues/solutions, see jaymonkey/Post #138
  • M.2: BCM94360CSAX - native WiFi/ac and BT4LE (3 antennas)
  • M.2: BCM943602CS - native WiFi/ac and BT4LE (3 antennas)
  • M.2: BCM94360CS2 - native WiFi/ac and BT4LE (2 antennas)
  • M.2: BCM94352Z/AzureWave AW-CE162NF/DW1560 - supports WiFi/ac and BT4LE
  • M.2: BCM94350ZAE/DW1820A - native WiFi/ac and BT4LE
  • Half mini: BCM94360HMB/AzureWave AW-CB160H - native WiFi/ac and BT4LE (3 antennas)
  • Half mini: BCM94352 HMB/AzureWave AW-CE123H - supports WiFi/ac and BT4LE

If you are really concerned with heat dissipation then one option is to do what a couple of other users have done. Cut minor openings into the shield. Void the warranty, probably. The DW1560 card works great, I've ordered a M.2: BCM94350ZAE/DW1820A to try on another machine. Its also a half card (which you need to fit under the shield without modification).

I just want to know how much the temperature rises without this cap.

The module BCM94350ZAE / DW1820A that you ordered, it should fully work as the original, right? When do you plan to get it and tell if it works?

I just want to know how much the temperature rises without this cap.

The module BCM94350ZAE / DW1820A that you ordered, it should fully work as the original, right? When do you plan to get it and tell if it works?

I would not try to run the system without the VRM heatsink. Definitely don't try overclocking if you do remove it.

There are multiple versions of the DW1820A. As far as I know, one version works better than the rest and there are versions that don't work at all with macOS.

I would not try to run the system without the VRM heatsink. Definitely don't try overclocking if you do remove it.

There are multiple versions of the DW1820A. As far as I know, one version works better than the rest and there are versions that don't work at all with macOS.
How can I understand if a certain version will work with macOS or not?

@ pastrychef thanks for checking in on the 1820a. Any additional input on variations would be appreciated. I've read posts where users were wrestling with one so figured I was taking a $20 chance.

How can I understand if a certain version will work with macOS or not?

@ pastrychef thanks for checking in on the 1820a. Any additional input on variations would be appreciated. I've read posts where users were wrestling with one so figured I was taking a $20 chance.

I don't remember where I saw the list... Try searching Google for "dw1820a product-id hackintosh". The trick is to find the version with the correct product-id.

It seems each version uses a different variant of the Broadcom chipset...

Back