Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

@ModMike please let me know if you have a solution for my particular issue. Thanks in advance.

I still can't get the settings under NVRAM (as @ModMike suggested) to save.

Here is what I'm doing:
  1. Upon boot I load Clover.
  2. I click on Mount EFI.
  3. Under EFI Partitions, I find the drive that my macOS is installed on and click "Mount Partition".
  4. I then Open Partition, go to EFI/Clover/config.plist and double click. It loads config.plist.
  5. I then go to NVRAM and under NVRAM emulation I checkmark (store ngram.plist on system partition).
  6. Under Force mount selected ESP at startup, I choose EFI on EFI (disk0).
  7. I go to file/save.
  8. Reboot
  9. Load Clover
  10. Mount my macOS installed drive and
  11. Check the config file
All the settings in NVRAM are not selected again, and there is no nvram.plist next to the EFI folder.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I just try and reinstall macOS from scratch again?
Sounds like you are doing it right so its weird it won't stick. Its not a function of the OS Mojave, its a Clover thing so reinstalling won't help. You can try turning off Force Mount and see if that helps. You can also try and reinstall Clover and see what shakes out.

@vio1
Afaik, you need to install/update Clover so that it injects the needed scripts into macOS. Otherwise you will never have any nvram.plist file generated no matter how much you select those options. That file is created by those scripts.
Try that first and then check those settings and see how it goes.

Being you have a different board I think it would make more sense to follow a guide written specifically for your hardware (although they are probably similar steps). There is one here on this site:

That thread is for the Asus Prime z390-p. I have the z390-a. This thread is for the z390-I. What is the difference between the I, A, and P?

@vio1
Afaik, you need to install/update Clover so that it injects the needed scripts into macOS. Otherwise you will never have any nvram.plist file generated no matter how much you select those options. That file is created by those scripts.
Try that first and then check those settings and see how it goes.

I did update Clover. Under Install/Update Clover, it shows "stable 5070, and installed 5070. There is a Beta 5088. Should I do that?
When you mean install clover, do I have to put the clover app anywhere specifically? I run it off my desktop.

I did update Clover. Under Install/Update Clover, it shows "stable 5070, and installed 5070. There is a Beta 5088. Should I do that?
When you mean install clover, do I have to put the clover app anywhere specifically? I run it off my desktop.
No need to run the beta version as it's still in development. Run the update as usual ( from wherever its saved) and make sure to check the box that says "install scripts on target volume" or something similar.

That thread is for the Asus Prime z390-p. I have the z390-a. This thread is for the z390-I. What is the difference between the I, A, and P?
You can answer that question yourself by going to the Asus website. Being this isn't windows my suggestion you follow a guide for your specific board is your best option. I think there was another user who had a Prime who made it work following this thread but since the majority of users, including Modmike, don't how can we help you? We don't have the same hardware. Its a best practice, you could be waiting your time in this forum is all I am really trying to say.

Last edited:
@Leesureone you nailed it. What I was missing was "check the box that says "install scripts on target volume" when updating clover. Now I have a nvram.plist file.

However.... sleep is still not working. @ModMike how did you get sleep to work? My RGB G.Skill Ram and ROG 390-i lights never turn off, even when I've clicked sleep. I hear the system fans slow and hear a click, and monitors go black, but then immediately the video card fans kick on full blast. The eventually slow down, but then it seems the system tries to sleep again, and again wakes up (not the monitors though).

I found a guide to help with sleep issues and it mentioned to type in terminal "sudo pmset -g" and look at the sleep row. My sleep row says (sleep prevented by powerd, powerd, sharingd). Any ideas?

Last edited:
@Leesureone you nailed it. What I was missing was "check the box that says "install scripts on target volume" when updating clover. Now I have a nvram.plist file.

However.... sleep is still not working. @ModMike how did you get sleep to work? My RGB G.Skill Ram and ROG 390-i lights never turn off, even when I've clicked sleep. I hear the system fans slow and hear a click, and monitors go black, but then immediately the video card fans kick on full blast. The eventually slow down, but then it seems the system tries to sleep again, and again wakes up (not the monitors though).

Any ideas?
Cool, not my idea though, just my explanation. Sleep issues are often related to how the USB port limit is set up. Modmike has a port limit patch executed in his config.plist but he also has the UIAC.SSDT(he calls it SSDT-UAIC.AML) file that can be placed in Clover/ACPI/patched. Usually you only want one or the other but I think both together still work. It's just not as clean....something to check out anyway

Last edited:
Cool, not my idea though, just my explanation. Sleep issues are often related to how the USB port limit is set up. Modmike has a port limit patch executed in his config.plist but he also has the UIAC.SSDT(he calls it SSDT-UAIC.AML) file that can be placed in Clover/ACPI/patched. Usually you only want one or the other but I think both together still work. It's just not as clean....something to check out anyway

I have no idea what to do with that info. I don't know how to proceed. What should I do? Im a novice with Hackintosh builds so Im learning as I go.

I have no idea what to do with that info. I don't know how to proceed. What should I do? Im a novice with Hackintosh builds so Im learning as I go.
Okay, no harm no foul. Download Modmikes SSDT-UAIC.aml file. Then start clover configurator and mount the EFI partition on your hard drive with Mojave on it. Then choose open the EFI partition. Copy the SSDT-UAIC.aml file to the folder EFI/Clover/ ACPI/ Patched. Reboot and then test sleep again. If that doesn't work then we can try to remove the port limit patch from the config.plist.

Back