Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

No matter how many times I restart and check, there is no nvram.plist file next to the EFI folder. @ModMike indicates that, if the nvram.plist file isn't there, the system may not sleep. Perhaps this is why I have Issue #1 (above). What should I do?
If you follow this guide, the hooks in macOS that creates the nvram.plist will not be there. I mentioned that here and here, but got no feedback on it.
I manually installed the required files in macOS so I now have a working nvram.plist.

Still, it would be nice to have it confirmed how it is supposed to work according to this guide without manually adding those scripts.

If you follow this guide the hooks in macOS that creates the nvram.plist will not be there. I mentioned that here and here, but got no feedback on it.
I manually installed the required files in macOS so I now have a working nvram.plist.

Still, it would be nice to have it confirmed how it is supposed to work according to this guide without manually adding those scripts.

I haven't been getting notifications from the site for some time, no idea how to fix. No one has had to install the scripts before. When you update Clover, it should install the scripts automatically.

You may have to fix your config, it sometimes seems to lose the nvram setting for some reason. You need to set item 1, box 2 is optional. I like 2 because I am often in my EFI and it avoids the whole mounting and password step.

Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 3.14.52 PM.png

No one has had to install the scripts before. When you update Clover, it should install the scripts automatically.
Yes, Clover will install them...but there is no step in the first post that tells you to do this...except if you expand and read the "Update Procedure" spoiler. Since your (great) procedure gives us a system that works without us having to fiddle with all the nitty gritty details...it is not easy to understand that you need to do this to get the nvram emulation running.

I'm one of the old-school "if it works, don't break it" persons...so since I got everything up and running I saw no need to update Clover...and thus I didn't get the nvram emulation working without fixing it manually :p

Thanks for clarifying what I (we) missed :)

I haven't been getting notifications from the site for some time, no idea how to fix. No one has had to install the scripts before. When you update Clover, it should install the scripts automatically.

You may have to fix your config, it sometimes seems to lose the nvram setting for some reason. You need to set item 1, box 2 is optional. I like 2 because I am often in my EFI and it avoids the whole mounting and password step.

View attachment 425898

Do I need to Mount EFI before doing this step?
When I click the drop down for Force Mount Selected ESP at Startup, I don't have EFI on EFI (disk 1). I have the following options: None, Boot Volume, EFI on EFI (disk 2). Should I choose the last one?

Update: I went in the clover configurator, went straight to NVRAM, and checked off NVRAM emulation and Force mount selected ESP at startup. I clicked save in the menu. Restarted and checked mounted my main EFI and still no nvram.plist. I went back to the Nvram settings and nothing seems to have saved. Both Nvram emulation and force mount selected ESP at startup are blank. What should I do?

Update #2:
no matter what I do, nothing keeps saved after reboot. When I get make the changes above and click save, it prompts me to Export config file. Where do I save it to?

Last edited:
@vio1
Yes, you need to mount the EFI and select the config.plist on your EFI partition in Clover Configurator in order to update the settings.
You also need to update Clover to have the needed scripts installed. See the Keeping Your System Updated section of the first post (and open the spoiler). And also make sure that the settings @ModMike mentioned are set...then it should work.

Note: I have not tried to update Clover yet so I have no idea of exactly what happens.

@vio1
Yes, you need to mount the EFI and select the config.plist on your EFI partition in Clover Configurator in order to update the settings.
You also need to update Clover to have the needed scripts installed. See the Keeping Your System Updated section of the first post (and open the spoiler). And also make sure that the settings @ModMike mentioned are set...then it should work.

Note: I have not tried to update Clover yet so I have no idea of exactly what happens.

I still can't get the settings under NVRAM (as @ModMike suggested) to save.

Here is what I'm doing:
  1. Upon boot I load Clover.
  2. I click on Mount EFI.
  3. Under EFI Partitions, I find the drive that my macOS is installed on and click "Mount Partition".
  4. I then Open Partition, go to EFI/Clover/config.plist and double click. It loads config.plist.
  5. I then go to NVRAM and under NVRAM emulation I checkmark (store ngram.plist on system partition).
  6. Under Force mount selected ESP at startup, I choose EFI on EFI (disk0).
  7. I go to file/save.
  8. Reboot
  9. Load Clover
  10. Mount my macOS installed drive and
  11. Check the config file
All the settings in NVRAM are not selected again, and there is no nvram.plist next to the EFI folder.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I just try and reinstall macOS from scratch again?

Last edited:
@ModMike
I followed your instructions step by step. But, when I get to the Clover boot screen and select the any of the macOS buttons, I get a black screen with a white circle with a slash in the middle see (attachment). If I select the Windows partition, it would load it, but no the MacOS. I used UniBeast to create the bootable USB drive and replaced EFI files folder per your directions. Unfortunately, I tried booting two different macOS installations but none booted.
I have the Asus Prime Z390-A, 1080ti GPU, 64GB of RAM. I'm using the macOS High Sierra due to incompatibility with Mojave.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190915_184245.jpg
    20190915_184245.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
  • 20190915_184237.jpg
    20190915_184237.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
@ModMike
See attached for the verbose screenshot:
20190915_230056.jpg

See attached for the verbose screenshot:View attachment 425977
Being you have a different board I think it would make more sense to follow a guide written specifically for your hardware (although they are probably similar steps). There is one here on this site:

@ModMike please let me know if you have a solution for my particular issue. Thanks in advance.

I still can't get the settings under NVRAM (as @ModMike suggested) to save.

Here is what I'm doing:
  1. Upon boot I load Clover.
  2. I click on Mount EFI.
  3. Under EFI Partitions, I find the drive that my macOS is installed on and click "Mount Partition".
  4. I then Open Partition, go to EFI/Clover/config.plist and double click. It loads config.plist.
  5. I then go to NVRAM and under NVRAM emulation I checkmark (store ngram.plist on system partition).
  6. Under Force mount selected ESP at startup, I choose EFI on EFI (disk0).
  7. I go to file/save.
  8. Reboot
  9. Load Clover
  10. Mount my macOS installed drive and
  11. Check the config file
All the settings in NVRAM are not selected again, and there is no nvram.plist next to the EFI folder.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I just try and reinstall macOS from scratch again?

Back