Contribute
Register

The 660 Ti Thread: Questions and Answers Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using this GIGABYTE 660ti on 10.8.3 in FCP (final cut pro) X without any problem..
But I'm not very satisfied with the performance in opencl, and now think of trying radeon 7950 for this task, because of it much much faster in open cl.
CUDA is not very necessary thing especially in the light of future CS6.5/7, where OPEN CL will be introduced.
NeatVideo, that uses cuda, gives only 2-3x increase in performance comparing to Processor only (mine is Xeon e1230v2).
DaVincy Resolve do not use.
So think twice before buying this strange card for FCP (and any other NVidia card also).

And waking up not works, no matter what I do (darkwake=10 helped only for short sleeps).

I concur...the problem may well be Nvidia's. The same 660ti running Windows 7 seems to cause problems with Nvidia drivers. Occasionally the display drivers stop cold and the system restarts them
This card is truly suspect, sorry to say. I've long been a fan of Nvidia video cards; nowadays I lump them into the same category as Pre-AMD ATI video - sucks.
With 10.8.3 and FCPX I can get by most of the problems by disabling background rendering and setting display for better performance.

I got the MSI n660 ti power edition, and it is listed core speed 1033 MHz, and boost clock: 1098, however in games Afterburner tells me speed is 1190 under load. Is this a bug in afterburner[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]?[/FONT]

Your temps are fine. 74'c is normal, especially during and stress tests. What you might want to check out is your RAM. All of my issues went away after I took out one of my pairs (2x4GB). I had initially ran MemTest (via USB boot) one each of my 4 sticks individually, and paired. All passed. However, I did notice that one pair were posting at 9-11-10, as opposed to stick's rating of 9-11-9. Manually setting the timings did not help. Removing the bad pair fixed everything.

I am not suggesting your timing is off, but I would consider investigating your RAM. Many system problems, from hard drives acting strange, apps quitting, to what seems like GPU issues, can all be traced back to potentially bad RAM. If it wasn't for Windows, by pure chance, giving me a visible BSOD with a memory warning (happened so fast I am amazed I caught it before reboot) I would have never thought to take another look at my RAM.

Thanks Bansaku,
I ran memtest on the pair, and they passed and reported correct timings. Are you suggesting that if i run memtest on individual sticks i might get different results? I've tried running Starcraft with just one stick in, then swapping sticks, and i continue to have the same problem (screen goes black or maroon, occasionally static-looking, then black). I very much appreciate your input!

Hey there,

This is my first Hackintosh build and for whatever reason my GTX 660-TI BOOST is showing up as NVIDIA GK106 2048MB
This leads me to believe something is wrong, I know in Adobe Pre the MercuryPlayback is set to software only; so I must not be getting full acceleration.
I have installed the CUDA drivers and the ACPIplatform kext, not sure if I am doing something wrong,

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• systeminfo.jpg
    systeminfo.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 183
Hi there! I am having a bit of a nightmare with my build.

I have the GA-X58-UD3R and a GTX 660 ti.

I am moving from an ATI 5970.

I am on 10.8.2 and have nothing but trouble. I can still get into my CCC backup of my old install, but only if booting in safe mode via unibeast.

I am trying to now do a clean install, I can get the OS installed ok (with the 660ti installed, I just boot the install USB with GE=no and it works perfectly), but then run multibeast, installing chimera as normal (setting GE=No) and on reboot, the system crashes when I get back to the desktop.

I read conflicting information about the gtx 660ti, some people say 10.8.2 has native support, some say need to install the multibeast extensions and some say need to install the nvidia drivers.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Hey there,

This is my first Hackintosh build and for whatever reason my GTX 660-TI BOOST is showing up as NVIDIA GK106 2048MB
This leads me to believe something is wrong...
My 650 Ti (non boost) gives a similar designation. IMO, it's cosmetic. I haven't found a problem, yet.

Hey there,

This leads me to believe something is wrong, I know in Adobe Pre the MercuryPlayback is set to software only; so I must not be getting full acceleration.
I have installed the CUDA drivers and the ACPIplatform kext, not sure if I am doing something wrong,

Any suggestions?

First of all, in order to enable the Mercury engine in Adobe apps, you need to do a small hack to one of the reference files. You can find detailed instructions pretty much anywhere if you do a search for how to enable non-Mercury cards in Premiere Pro. You might also want to read this thread:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...70-sabertooth-x79-56k-warn-20.html#post587746

As far as the card designation...not sure since on my machine it displays correctly. Are you in Mountain Lion I assume?

Yes I am runnning ML. I have to correct myself I am running a 650 card

I've been thinking about buying an EVGA 660ti.
Is it loud under OS X?

I know there's a thread that talks GPU fan noise on OS X, but I can't seem to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back