Contribute
Register

Testing Thread: GeForce GTX 660

Status
Not open for further replies.
You say you tried nearly every suggestion. So what haven't you tried?

For me the only answer was a clean install from the beginning. Previous multibeast or other settings meant that I never got to the desktop and it hung at the same point as yours.....

If you have not tried a clean install then do it.

When u say "Previous multibeast or other settings" do u mean graphics related settings or something else ? Currently on HD 4000 and i don't fancy wiping everything just for a GPU upgrade.

Hi Hamiltus,
Just graphics enabler/injector stuff and only if you were using an Nvidia card of some other flavour before. If you are going straight from Intel HD then there is not an issue.
By the way, I am 99.9% confident of the right graphics drivers for the 660 now being in the release of 10.8.3 when it finally becomes official, following reports concerning the recent release of the Developer preview for it.
On the subject of clean installs though it is not really too much of a time waster if you keep an up to date bootable clone of your system. Especially since the App Store version of ML is always the latest point release (so you can do your clean install right up to 10.8.2 straight away instead of having to do 10.8 and then update). So the two steps are to do the clean install, install the Nvidia graphics drivers, and then use Migration Assistant to get all your important stuff and settings back from your clone.
Bearing that in mind, and the probable release of the final 10.8.3 version in some weeks time, the installation of the card will be easy as pie in the not too distant future as the step of having to separately download and install drivers from Nvidia should not be needed with support being directly from the OS.

I really messed up with the definition of audio hdmi on my gigabyte card gtx660
I can not understand the article by telda (My English is not very good) Can anyone guide me more? My spec is in my signature. Thank you!

Have u found ur solution cause I got the identical problem

Hi, I don't think there are native ML drivers for the GTX 660 yet. I think the nVidia drivers are the only option at the moment.

To reinstall 10.8.1 I had to copy the kexts from the nVidia drivers dmg (by going into the pkg files) and copy them to my install stick. Only then could I boot into the USB stick. I'd be interested if there's a easier way but that's how I got a working ML USB Drive.

I can also confirm that the just released nVidia 10.8.2 drivers are working fine with my GTX 660 and ML 10.8.2. I did the combo upgrade then installed the new graphic drivers before the requested restart.

Hi how do you copy kext from the installation pkg?

Oh man Ive had it with this card.
Everything is still really jerky.

Can some one please PLEASE PLEASE tell me if I should exchange my twin frozr for a dif 660 or just go with a 660ti instead?

Am i the only one with this issue?

Please im open to suggestions.. I only have a few days left to return the card...

I decided to go through the nighmare of dual booting windows and osx on the same ssd..

only to find out the terrible jerkiness is unique to os x

everything runs beautiful in windows

how depressing..

at this point im even considering a used 6870 or 5870 or heck wait for 8.3 and go 7xxx

i built this machine to be a mac I refuse to boot windows... refuse... well maybe for planet side but thats it.

fyi i also run a 27" cat leap so i dont think the gtx 650 will be good enough ..

PLEASE give me advise.....

seriously am i the only one with this issue?

any chance of getting some video of your problem, so we know exactly whats going on
I've done a couple of installs just to experiment
installed with internal gfx used the nvidia drivers pkg, put twin frozr in and all was good

modified my unibeast intaller 10.8.2
used show all files located the extensions folder in unibeast and replaced/added the four kexts that was in the nvidia driver update
and there was no problems

I've even played call of duty at almost highest settings on osx doesn't seem much behind windows might try a very small bit of benchmarking later (win7 vs 10.8.2 +new drivers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back