Contribute
Register

Test Report: MSI Z77A-GD65

Status
Not open for further replies.
brycv said:
wfj said:
I'm not sure if it would prevent me from using this board for an everyday system. It's really more of an annoyance than anything and my delay is almost exactly 60 seconds every time.
I agree. Unless I'm testing a new bootloader config or DSDT edits, my main system stays on 24x7. I think I might be getting the delay with the Asus Sabertooth Z77 but still need to check. I just noticed how much faster the Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3 booted up as compared to the Sabertooth Z77.

Definitely let me know if you have it too. I think testing a GD55 will really help clear things up since it doesn't have any extra 3rd party controllers or extras. Just a nice vanilla Z77 board.

wfj said:
Definitely let me know if you have it too. I think testing a GD55 will really help clear things up since it doesn't have any extra 3rd party controllers or extras. Just a nice vanilla Z77 board.
I just did a verbose boot on the Asus Sabertooth Z77 and "DSMOS has arrived" comes up immediately without any delay at all. I must have needed to update my kext caches or something. It's running on a different drive now than when I saw the apparent delay.

Come to think of it, I only have a single drive connected to the Sabertooth Z77 right now where I had a total of 4-6 when I saw the delays. I'll have to test that again but, in any case, no DSMOS problems it looks like.

I agree on the GD55. It seems like the ideal board for most users and an excellent value. It has Intel LAN and ALC892 audio which has been superb on several boards for me. ALC889 has had lots of pops and clicks on several of my previous Gigabyte boards (I've had seven and sold six) but never had those issues with the ALC892.

ALC898 may be fine but I haven't had any experience with it yet. I will likely get some when I get the Asus Maximus V Gene before too long though. :)

I like that the GD65 does have extra SATA ports since those work great for hotplug SATA with OS X but most users probably don't use that like I do.

brycv said:
wfj said:
I just did a verbose boot on the Asus Sabertooth Z77 and "DSMOS has arrived" comes up immediately without any delay at all. I must have needed to update my kext caches or something. It's running on a different drive now than when I saw the apparent delay.

Come to think of it, I only have a single drive connected to the Sabertooth Z77 right now where I had a total of 4-6 when I saw the delays. I'll have to test that again but, in any case, no DSMOS problems it looks like.

I agree on the GD55. It seems like the ideal board for most users and an excellent value. It has Intel LAN and ALC892 audio which has been superb on several boards for me. ALC889 has had lots of pops and clicks on several of my previous Gigabyte boards (I've had seven and sold six) but never had those issues with the ALC892.

ALC898 may be fine but I haven't had any experience with it yet. I will likely get some when I get the Asus Maximus V Gene before too long though. :)

I like that the GD65 does have extra SATA ports since those work great for hotplug SATA with OS X but most users probably don't use that like I do.

I have to laugh...you and I suffer from the same hardware addiction. I just love tinkering around with this stuff and I'm not sure exactly why. Maybe we need to form a support group:)

wfj said:
I have to laugh...you and I suffer from the same hardware addiction. I just love tinkering around with this stuff and I'm not sure exactly why. Maybe we need to form a support group:)
You're right. :D

So do I. I'm picking up so many boards that I've run out of processors to use in them. I need to pick up some more of those too. :D

brycv said:
wfj said:
You're right. :D

So do I. I'm picking up so many boards that I've run out of processors to use in them. I need to pick up some more of those too. :D

Do you happen to live near a micro center?

wfj said:
Do you happen to live near a micro center?
There is one ~70 mi away on the other side of Los Angeles. I've seen some of their specials on processors though. Pretty fantastic! I'm not sure it would be worth it to me unless I had to go to Los Angeles for another reason.

so basically covering everything, can you guys post a complete guide on building and installing for this specific hackintosh setup?

sapster said:
so basically covering everything, can you guys post a complete guide on building and installing for this specific hackintosh setup?
I;ll be tackling a MSI Z77A-GD80 later this week. It's the same as the GD65 just with Thunderbolt. I'll make a guide and post it.

Alfa147x said:
I'll be tackling a MSI Z77A-GD80 later this week. It's the same as the GD65 just with Thunderbolt. I'll make a guide and post it.
Looking forward to it. I've got one on order as well but I'm waiting on stock still.

brycv said:
Alfa147x said:
I'll be tackling a MSI Z77A-GD80 later this week. It's the same as the GD65 just with Thunderbolt. I'll make a guide and post it.
Looking forward to it. I've got one on order as well but I'm waiting on stock still.
Could u test whether the MSI Z77A-GD80 (Windows, not OSX) will work with a MBP+Target Disk Mode on the Thunderbolt interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back