Contribute
Register

System is randomly freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I plugged all my internal hard drives back in after one hour and forty minutes my system froze. It has to be something to do with the the SATA ports in OSX, the drives are fine the cables are new. Any help here would be appreciated.
I would have gone on a slower pace reconnecting the HDDs. I would connect them one at time and observing for several days after each disk. If the problem is seen with the addition of certain disk I would try to confirm that by removing other disks and connecting the suspect Disk alone.
If after removal of the other disks, this particular disk causes a problem, isolate that one and put the other disks and keep adding in the same manner, one at a time and observe for many hours or even days until the addition of another disk breaks the freeze-free trend.

If the initially suspected disk when installed and run works without freeze, your suspicion should be more on PSU, RAM and Cooling System(Fans).
Next remove the "currently installed and working good disks" and install the "isolated disks" and run the system.
If system fails again, we know these disks have problems.
If they surprise you by not causing freeze, add the "Good disks back" one at a time until freeze occurs.

If freeze occurs , then the problem is Not disk but either PSU, need for more cooling or RAM.
I will first try a different PSU with higher Wattage and better track record as by the number of stars given by satisfied users.
As I said before, this is not an easy troubleshoot. It is very frustrating and expensive too!

When I was disconnecting them I left one attached which is a brand new disk and it froze the system, so I didn't think reconnecting them one at a time would have any different effect. This is all brand new hardware, brand new PSU, brand new RAM other than the drives which were in an external thunderbolt enclosure on my last system, everything is brand new. I know new stuff can have issues, but I'm not suspecting hardware to be at fault at this point, remember with just my SSD connected the system runs fine, no freezing. I am using a 520W Seasonic power supply which ought to be more than enough for five drives and one SSD, my GPU does not require any power from the PSU.

I'm tempted to do a fresh install on a second SSD that I am not using just to see what happens.

Wow, my system just froze again. I can't believe this. How is it that I build two hackintosh systems, years apart, and they both suffer from the same problem, I mean what are the odds? I am so bummed right now. How is it that other people with the same hardware don't have this problem?:banghead::oops:

So far I have updated my BIOS to the latest version, no sure how I missed that in the first place, but it has frozen once since I did that. Today I swapped out the RAM for RAM that is actually on the supported list for this motherboard as the previous RAM was not, hopefully that resolves the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back