Contribute
Register

System Definition Problem - Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple has dropped support for a number of older Macs that had supported OS X 10.8 through 10.11 El Capitan. All MacBook and iMac models prior to Late 2009 and all MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and Mac Pro models prior to 2010 are not officially supported by macOS Sierra.

Hardware requirements for MacOS Sierra include a CPU with SSE4.1, so it cannot be run on any Mac with a CPU prior to the Penryn Core 2 Duo.

Apple has dropped support for a number of older Macs that had supported OS X 10.8 through 10.11 El Capitan. All MacBook and iMac models prior to Late 2009 and all MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and Mac Pro models prior to 2010 are not officially supported by macOS Sierra.

Hardware requirements for MacOS Sierra include a CPU with SSE4.1, so it cannot be run on any Mac with a CPU prior to the Penryn Core 2 Duo.
From what I read on Wikipedia, sometimes SSSE3 was named, incorrectly, SSE4. I am kind off confused, it seems that not all Core2 Duo CPUs are Penryn SSE4.1 CPUs. I am asking because I might upgrade just the CPU, and leave the rest in place, it seems that only the CPU it the barrier between the present day EL Capitan state and a future, Sierra state of this CustoMac. Even the really old NVIDIA GeForce 6200 worked for El Capitan, it will probably work with Sierra as well.

Thankfully, I have a Penryn with SSE4.1 (Yorkfield). But since my sysdef is MacPro3,1 I'll need to change it before I can try Sierra...

Looking at Mactracker, the closest match for my hardware that would fit Sierra's requirements would probably be iMac10,1. (Graphics are now GTX 750 Ti, so that's covered.) But there's a catch: the low-end models used dual-core Penryns (Core 2 Duo), while more expensive ones used quad-core Nehalems (Core i5/i7), which implement SSE4.2. I have a quad-core Penryn.

Anybody tried Sierra beta with this configuration (iMac10,1/Yorkfield)?

EDIT: Never mind. It isn't possible with MultiBeast. The only match it presents for my system is MacPro3,1, and it's already established that that won't work with Sierra. Unless I can hand-roll a config.plist SMBIOS for iMac10,1, or perhaps Macmini4,1 (or wait for it to be included in a future MultiBeast release), I'm stuck.

Last edited:
I have tried but not able to install, it just stuck at apple logo when I am trying to install any idea why so ?
MY system configurations :
Motherboard : Intel Original DH61H0
Processor : 3.9 GHz Intel core i3
RAM : 4 GB RAM 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics : NVIDEA GoForce 210 1024 MB
Tried Verbose mode as well,

IMG_20160713_183016219.jpg
IMG_20160713_183016219.jpg

Apple dropped a lot of their older (great working) Mac Pro (3,1), older MBPs, etc. because of the SSE4. There is a thread over at MacRumor's forum section, macOS Sierra, that is working on getting these older systems to work.
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-12-sierra-unsupported-macs-thread.1977128/
SSE4.1 is probably an essential requirement. If not, this will probably be discovered on this community or by the Clover developers and it will be bypassed. So, it seems wise to wait closer to the launch, to see if this is the case, or if some other new restrictions will be added by Apple, before I jump to a hardware upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back