Switching from iGPU to dGPU (Radeon RX 5500m) on Laptop without Mux Switch

Motherboard
HP Victus-16-e0162AX
CPU
Ryzen 5 5600H
Graphics
RX 5500M
Hello TonyMacx86 community,

I'm currently facing issues while attempting to switch from my laptop's iGPU to the dGPU Radeon RX 5500m. Unfortunately, my laptop doesn't have a mux switch, so I'm trying to route the display through the HDMI port. I've installed the WhateverGreen kext and disabled the iGPU using the following boot flags: `-wegnoigpu -wegswitchgpu agdpmod=pikera`.
However, I'm encountering the following error:

Code:
[18.313728]: [9:0:0] AMD Error: The IOPCIDevice VRAM Memory Descriptor is NULL!
[18.313769]: [9:0:0] AMDRadeonX6000_AmdRadeonControllerNavi14::start() !!! Could NOT Create Controller Core Services.
[18.313772]: [9:0:0] AMDRadeonX6000_AmdRadeonControllerNavi14::start() !!! BIOS parser is NULL

Any guidance or suggestions to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    647 KB · Views: 10
  • ioreg.txt
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 2023-11-14 10.35.23.jpg
    2023-11-14 10.35.23.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 15
Without a MUX switch you are probably wasting your time trying to get the dGPU working in place of the IGPU/APU.

Have you had a look at using NootedRed.kext for your AMD IGPU, i.e. disable the dGPU and use the AMD IGPU for all display purposes. As your laptop lacks a MUX switch this may be your best option. It is how all Intel systems that lack a MUX switch work with macOS.

You might also want to have a look at what additional BIOS settings are made available if you use Smokeless_UMAF.

Increasing the VRAM for the IGPU is the most common fix used with this Tool. So depending on how much system RAM you have in your laptop you may be able to increase the VRAM for the IGPU to 2GB or 4GB or more. Usually the AMD laptop only has 512MB available so it is limited if the option to increase the VRAM is hidden in the BIOS.

Without a MUX switch you are probably wasting your time trying to get the dGPU working in place of the IGPU/APU.
Not even with an external display?

Increasing the VRAM for the IGPU is the most common fix used with this Tool. So depending on how much system RAM you have in your laptop you may be able to increase the VRAM for the IGPU to 2GB or 4GB or more. Usually the AMD laptop only has 512MB available so it is limited if the option to increase the VRAM is hidden in the BIOS.
I did that. Thank you very much!

You can try booting the system with an External Display connected to the laptop. But you probably won't see anything on the external display, not till macOS reaches the Login screen.
  • Was there an option to disable the discrete GPU in the Bios when you used Smokeless_UMAF?
  • Were there any other graphics options, other than the one to increase the VRAM?
  • Did you take any screen captures of the alternative bios options?

Back