i7 6700
Graphics
XFX Rx480 OC
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Hey all.
last call before i make the purchase and build my new hackintosh machine.
i just want to know from you all experience if all the part would fit well.

Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5,
Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x, 8GB, DDR4-3000, DIMM 288
Intel Core i7 6700K BOX (LGA 1151, 4GHz, Unlocked
Corsair H80i v2 (9.90cm
EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ (GM200, 6GB
Samsung SSD 950 Pro (256GB, M.2 2280
Silverstone Strider SFX Series (450W

I am going to put it all in this amazing case:

Silverstone Fortress FT03 (Micro Tower, Black

Please share your thought with me..
Im trying to build a 4K editing system that i can also carry with me easily so i could edit on the go...
many thanks
AVIS144

Your build looks fine. A couple of points for consideration :

1. Check if that ram is on the QVL (Qualified Vendor List) for the motherboard. Whilst generic ram usually works just fine, buying ram that is checked and qualified by the manufacturer can be considered a safer bet.

2. Have a read of the reviews for your PSU. I have bought silverstone PSUs before; I didn't consider them the best of the bunch compared to the likes of Corsair/Seasonic etc, and they were certainly not silent when they should have been.

3. Regarding your chosen SSD, the 950 Pro models are NVMe standard. There is a kext to help get these working in OSX, but issues still remain in some cases, particularly with shutdown and restart. The SM 951 can be bought as NVMe or AHCI versions; AHCI does not have the issues that NVMe has at this time. Real world performance differences between the two are minimal.

Hey all.
last call before i make the purchase and build my new hackintosh machine.
i just want to know from you all experience if all the part would fit well.

Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5,
Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x, 8GB, DDR4-3000, DIMM 288
Intel Core i7 6700K BOX (LGA 1151, 4GHz, Unlocked
Corsair H80i v2 (9.90cm
EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ (GM200, 6GB
Samsung SSD 950 Pro (256GB, M.2 2280
Silverstone Strider SFX Series (450W

I am going to put it all in this amazing case:

Silverstone Fortress FT03 (Micro Tower, Black

Please share your thought with me..
Im trying to build a 4K editing system that i can also carry with me easily so i could edit on the go...
many thanks
AVIS144
How will you fit that ATX motherboard in the FT03 ? Looks to only support up to mATX.

"The interior of the chassis utilizes SilverStone’s unique stack effect cooling layout so a Micro-ATX motherboard is mounted in 90 degree rotation to take advantage of hot air’s natural tendency to rise."

Hope you didn't click on that "purchase" button yet. Try one of the Gigabyte mATX or mini-itx Z170 motherboards and it will work.

Last edited:
Thank you..
I actually didn't notice that but luckily i got the case first so i could take a look how small it is and how to plan the build.
Sooo didn't hit the purchase button :)
Im looking for the right GTX 980 TI to fit in the case smoothly with a good air circulation.
And double checking everything.

Thank you..
I actually didn't notice that but luckily i got the case first so i could take a look how small it is and how to plan the build.
Sooo didn't hit the purchase button :)
Im looking for the right GTX 980 TI to fit in the case smoothly with a good air circulation.
And double checking everything.
Have you looked at the reference Nividia 1070 ? Should cost less, run cooler and be more energy efficient. It will take some time before the Nvidia drivers for OS X will be released but should be worth the wait.

image.jpeg image.jpeg My very complicated build.
It took me 2 hours to put the motherboard+cpu ,cpu water cooler ,1 fan and SSD.

Still waiting for the power supplier-ram and 980ti gpu.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the reference Nividia 1070 ? Should cost less, run cooler and be more energy efficient. It will take some time before the Nvidia drivers for OS X will be released but should be worth the wait.
I would love to get the new GTX-1070 but as you said there is no drivers yet so i guess i will play safe and stay with the 980TI.
Thank you for bringing it up :)

Avis, I was curious how this build was working for you, and noticed you have a different build in your sig. I was thinking of making a build more or less along the same lines for 4k editing but with AMD for better FCPX performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back