Graphics
NV GeForce 9500GT
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I installed 10.6 on my computer 2 years ago. Its been running fine until last week when it would freeze at white apple screen with continuous spinning disk...running a verbose I got the attached screen shot. As far as I can remember nothing was done to computer prior to it misbehaving. Can anyone help me? I have searched most of the forums without any luck...please steer me in the right direction...

Thanks

HM

asus p7p55d-e pro- mbo
nvidia evga 9500gt- vidcard

running safe or single doesnt change anything...

Attachments

• Screenshot Nvenabler.jpg
    Screenshot Nvenabler.jpg
    828 KB · Views: 191
I installed 10.6 on my computer 2 years ago. Its been running fine until last week when it would freeze at white apple screen with continuous spinning disk...running a verbose I got the attached screen shot. As far as I can remember nothing was done to computer prior to it misbehaving. Can anyone help me? I have searched most of the forums without any luck...please steer me in the right direction...

Thanks

HM

asus p7p55d-e pro- mbo
nvidia evga 9500gt- vidcard

running safe or single doesnt change anything...

HackyMac

So nothing was changed in this hardware.

No new or replacement video card

No changes in the BIOS or update to the BIOS.

If so then you maybe getting an issue w the HD beginning to fail.

So you can not get to the Desktop Yes / No

No changes done to the SMBIOS file !

If your screen shot is where it stops then it appears that the NVenabler is not working!

Or the FIREWIRE port is hanging - if you have NO FIREWIRE device - disable that in BIOS.

Also What version of OSX do you have and how was it installed - what method - provide link if you can.

Totten

Thanks for the quick reply...

Nothing changed at all...just one day It got stuck on the Spinning circle of death.

I never upgraded my 10.6 so whatever it was it was running fine and I never messed with it once it was downloaded from real apple disk.

It was at least 3 years ago that I made the machine so a lot of the details are a bit foggy...i used multibeast and iboot...i think.

AS of yet I have not been able to get into desktop at all... I have no firewire plugged in so I will try disabling it but doubt it will help since Ive never used firewire...

Real frustrating situation... I am thinking it might be my HD too...crazy though because it is a SSD...could it be a faulty one? How do I check etc.?

Thanks again...

HM

Totten

Thanks for the quick reply...

Nothing changed at all...just one day It got stuck on the Spinning circle of death.

I never upgraded my 10.6 so whatever it was it was running fine and I never messed with it once it was downloaded from real apple disk.

It was at least 3 years ago that I made the machine so a lot of the details are a bit foggy...i used multibeast and iboot...i think.

AS of yet I have not been able to get into desktop at all... I have no firewire plugged in so I will try disabling it but doubt it will help since Ive never used firewire...

Real frustrating situation... I am thinking it might be my HD too...crazy though because it is a SSD...could it be a faulty one? How do I check etc.?

Thanks again...

HM

Hacky...

If you can boot from the iBoot CD and use the SL DVD that was used to install OSX.

THen see if you can use / run Disk Utilities from the SL DVD - to check that Hard Disk for errors.

If no errors show up and you still have desktop issues - do run permissions checks on the disk as well

post back.

Also yes SSD's do fail and if this Disk if either faulty or to TO FULL of stuff which will prevent you from getting the Desk Top mounted.

Then You may need to do a basic build on another HD and then see if you can find the issues w the SSD>

Toten

Thanks for so much for your patience...and generous help of course with my problem.

First things first...

I did some digging and found my iboot (2.5.2) disk and my SL 10.6.3 disk so that answers your initial questions of what versions I used originally...I never upgraded so that should be the actual versions on the machine.

Also...The SSD that is in question is solely a boot drive and doesn't have any crucial data that I need to save. At this point I would however like to know if this is strictly a Drive problem...so I can be sure it wont happen again.

Back to your directions...
I basically understand the directions (ideas) you last posted...just not the specifics...pardon my remedial understanding on this (my only excuse is that I have been away from this stuff because it was running so smoothly for so long!!!)

Correct me if I am wrong in any of these steps---

I will change the bios settings to boot from my CD drive as primary...

Insert iboot cd and boot up...

Then install SL via the SL disk I have...

Then run a disk utility on the HD that might be giving me problems

Lastly I am not too clear on the permission procedure you mention (could you give detail?)

Thanks again.

Just read through your info a bit more carefully and realize Im not supposed to install SL just run it...how do i do that?

So far, I changed boot priority and booted with iboot as primary boot. I got a choice between my SSD (the one in question), my secondary HD that just has data etc. on it (these two options are available normally). In addition I have another option which is iboot...

If i click on iboot it gives me a kernel panic and if I put the SL disk in the drive it also gives me a kernel panic as well. Obviously I am doing something wrong.

Thanks

Just read through your info a bit more carefully and realize Im not supposed to install SL just run it...how do i do that?

So far, I changed boot priority and booted with iboot as primary boot. I got a choice between my SSD (the one in question), my secondary HD that just has data etc. on it (these two options are available normally). In addition I have another option which is iboot...

If i click on iboot it gives me a kernel panic and if I put the SL disk in the drive it also gives me a kernel panic as well. Obviously I am doing something wrong.

Thanks
try booting with iBoot and at the selection screen select your SSD, then hit <spacebar> and type in

-v -f -x

and hit enter. If you can, take a pic of the screen and post it if you don't get to desktop.

Bald

Thanks for the help...

After following your commands it did not boot.

Here is the screen shot I got instead ...

Next step? Meaning?

Attachments

• screenshot12714.jpg
    screenshot12714.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 209
Bald

Thanks for the help...

After following your commands it did not boot.

Here is the screen shot I got instead ...

Next step? Meaning?

Hacky...

You should read this link for some ideas about KPanics
http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/05/how-to-read-understand-and-solve-kernel-panic-screen-in-osx86/

Also see if this tread can help you with some info on a Pmap Steel Memory alert.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...ud2h-b3-i52500k-rad-hd-6850-lion-snole-7.html

Or you can search the site using that term pmap steal memory

Thanks for the resources...

I am not having any luck with any of this...

i get a different error for every booting flag method i use...

Should I just reinstall SL on my SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back