Contribute
Register

Successful instal, but Windows won't boot, anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i5 9400F
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[Solved] Successful instal, but Windows won't boot, anyone help?

I followed the Clover Yosemite guide here and have a successful install.

If I select my Windows drive for boot in Clover boot loader all I get is a blinking white cursor in the top left of the screen, Windows does not boot. If I change my boot device in BIOS to the Windows drive, it boots fine. I would appreciate any help. Attached is my config.plist and IO Reg in case needed.

Attachments

• ioreg.zip
    642.7 KB · Views: 116
  • config.plist
    5.2 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
I followed the Clover Yosemite guide here and have a successful install.

If I select my Windows drive for boot in Clover boot loader all I get is a blinking white cursor in the top left of the screen, Windows does not boot. If I change my boot device in BIOS to the Windows drive, it boots fine. I would appreciate any help. Attached is my config.plist and IO Reg in case needed.

how is your dual boot installed. Two OS's on one HDD/SSD or two seperate HDD's or SSD's??

Cheers

I have Yosemite on one SSD and Windows on a separate SSD. In Clover Boot Manager screen I have four boot options available:

"Boot Mac OS X from Yosemite"
"Boot Recovery from Recovery HD"
"Boot Windows from Legacy HD1"
"Boot Clover from EFI"

Yosemite boots without problem, as does Recovery HD option. If I select the Boot Windows option I get a blinking cursor in top left of screen. Windows does not boot. If I select my windows SSD as first boot device in BIOS then Windows will boot.

Finding this Clover/EFI thang a steep learning curve :oops: thanks for help.

[Solved] Found the answer on another forum (can't remember where)

Thought I would post the answer in case others have same problem.

I changed the setting shown in attached pic from PBR to LagacyBiosDefault. Yosemite and Windows now boot perfectly when selected.

Screen Shot.png

This helped! Thank you! I was having the same problem: my Windows install would not boot from the Clover boot menu. This fixed the problem.

(Windows booted at one point, then stopped. Undoubtedly I changed settings in Clover while troubleshooting an unrelated problem, and must have switched the Boot>Legacy setting to PBR from LegacyBiosDefault)

Thanks for sharing this!

This helped! Thank you! I was having the same problem: my Windows install would not boot from the Clover boot menu. This fixed the problem.

(Windows booted at one point, then stopped. Undoubtedly I changed settings in Clover while troubleshooting an unrelated problem, and must have switched the Boot>Legacy setting to PBR from LegacyBiosDefault)

Thanks for sharing this!

edit: whoops - replied to the wrong topic

I am currently also messing with this, only i got a legacy Windows 10 install (for my BIOS board, not UEFI)

Booting the System Reserved partition with PBR results in only the Windows logo forever.

Switching from PBR to LegacyBiosDefault should work, but with LegacyBiosDefault i can't even see the Windows logo. Also a LegacyBiosDefaultEntry field below it pops up, i tried 1 and 2, but nothing works so far.

Is there a way to boot Windows 10 (non UEFI install) with the EFI boot loader (Clover)?
Or do i have to install Windows 10 through Clover so it will become a UEFI Windows.
(I'd rather not do that, then i loose the ability to boot Windows directly without Clover)

I recently finished installing El Capitan on my system using Clover. It was a clean install I reformatted the install drive and went from there. The problem I'm having is similar to the OP's, I was getting a blinking cursor any time I selected the Windows OS. I went to Clover Configurator and switched to LegacyBiosDefault, but now when I chose the Windows OS the system reboots and goes back to the Clover UEFI screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I recently finished installing El Capitan on my system using Clover. It was a clean install I reformatted the install drive and went from there. The problem I'm having is similar to the OP's, I was getting a blinking cursor any time I selected the Windows OS. I went to Clover Configurator and switched to LegacyBiosDefault, but now when I chose the Windows OS the system reboots and goes back to the Clover UEFI screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Is Windows installed UEFI or Legacy?

If its Legacy, your going to have a hard time getting Newer Clover to boot it... See my thread here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-boo...boot-yosemite-uefi-win7-legacy-questions.html.. Most likely you will need, if installed Legacy, to either re-install Windows UEFI or convert to UEFI.

Is Windows installed UEFI or Legacy?

If its Legacy, your going to have a hard time getting Newer Clover to boot it... See my thread here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-boo...boot-yosemite-uefi-win7-legacy-questions.html.. Most likely you will need, if installed Legacy, to either re-install Windows UEFI or convert to UEFI.

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure Windows is installed Legacy. I will try to convert to UEFI. I just have to find some tutorials on how to do this. Thanks again. Nothing I've done so far seems to work, so this might be the only way.

Did you end up converting the Windows drive to UEFI?

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure Windows is installed Legacy. I will try to convert to UEFI. I just have to find some tutorials on how to do this. Thanks again. Nothing I've done so far seems to work, so this might be the only way.

Did you end up converting the Windows drive to UEFI?

No, I did not. Its my sons Hack and he so rarely boots into Windows, he is fine F12'ing into BIOS boot and booting from there..

See here to Convert Legacy to UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back