Contribute
Register

Successful GTX 770 2GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks a lot ! Really appreciate your feedback.
I am sorry if I am too much 'off topic'

quickly graded some native 4K RAW footage and some at higher frame rates. I'm no expert in video editing, but the timeline was smooth. Of course it wasn't real time at first, because for that you'd probably need a RED Rocket-X card, but after some pre-render,
I still doubt if it will be fast enough for me. (because a few 4k clips, is a different story than a 60 minutes HD / 2k movie)
It will definitely be faster than my current Mac Pro. But for an almost 6 year old computer I don't think a geekbench over 11K is that bad. I don't know if the Geekbench says a lot, but I do see i7 3930K configurations (without overclocking) over 20K, while the i7 3770 K gets around 15-17K.
I will ask those guys their opinion as well

By Apple selling a computer with graphics card X, they accidentally made graphics card Y and Z fully compatible

This is a bit worrying, because if you get your Hackintosh to work, it's very possible, that your hardware will not be supported in a new version of OSX (for example in 2 years or so). That's a reason for me to stay as close to buyers guide as possible (so at least more people will have the problem ;) )

I just launched Premiere CC to check and Mercury works both via CUDA and OpenCL. If it didn't, all you'd have to do is simply adding the model number of your card in a text file in the premiere app folder to enable hardware processing (that happens in Windows and real Mac Pros as well).

I know. I had to do this with my current Videocard in my Mac Pro as well. (Only a pity I didn't know this the first 3 years I had the computer.)
Thanks again!

I still doubt if it will be fast enough for me. (because a few 4k clips, is a different story than a 60 minutes HD / 2k movie)
It will definitely be faster than my current Mac Pro. But for an almost 6 year old computer I don't think a geekbench over 11K is that bad. I don't know if the Geekbench says a lot, but I do see i7 3930K configurations (without overclocking) over 20K, while the i7 3770 K gets around 15-17K.
I will ask those guys their opinion as well
That Geekbench advantage shows that for tasks that benefit from brute processing power, the more cores, the better (rendering, compressing, etc...). You could build a hackintosh around a 2011 socked intel CPU and stick in an IvyBridge-E or even wait for Haswell-E, but the price difference is a lot bigger than the performance increase that will offer. Besides, 2011 sockets bring some difficulties for the hackintosh due to power management not working (The CPU is always at full speed, even when not under load). You might as well build a XEON hackintosh, but then you'll be spending as much as on a real mac pro/coffee maker.

This is a bit worrying, because if you get your Hackintosh to work, it's very possible, that your hardware will not be supported in a new version of OSX (for example in 2 years or so). That's a reason for me to stay as close to buyers guide as possible (so at least more people will have the problem ;) )
The trend is to add compatibility. Only in rare cases apple has removed backwards compatibility and it was usually software stuff (Rosetta...). Also, as a professional, updating OSX won't be as frequent as it is with a home computer. In the studio we still have an old eMac that serves its purpose beautifully (not iMac, eMac).

Palit PCX NE5X770H1042J JetStream GTX 770 2GB - seems to work OOTB with "GraphicsEnabler=No" and Apple Drivers. I haven't tested the NVIDIA drivers. Also detects it as "NVIDIA GK104 2048 MB" instead of GTX 770.

MacOS X 10.5.8 - Machine-specs below.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back