Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490
CPU
i9-10900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Maybe most of you know this already but I wanted to add my self into the success list of this card.

I recently bought the PNY GTX 770 with Titan Cooler and it works without the need to do anything else. Also it works with triple screen immediately.

OpenCL seems to work fine and it works fine also with After Effects, Cinema 4D and Modo.

I just don't know if it is normal OSX detect it as "NVIDIA GK104 2048 MB" instead of GTX 770.

I have a Zotac 4Gb GTX 770 and mine also registers as GK104. Whats even weirder is when i watch anything on youtube and then click a different video it changes the youtube page but contiues to play the previous video. Any help would be appreciated

Im running 10.8.5
ASROCK Z87e-ITX
i7 4770k and 16 Gb Ram
Booting from kingston hyper x SSD

I have EVGA GTX 770 2G and I was facing same issue in detecting the card's name correctly in the system info especially after updating my system into 10.8.5, but after tony releases multibeast 5.2 problem solved and card's name detected correctly

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-30 at 4.51.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-30 at 4.51.22 PM.png
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,304
Maybe most of you know this already but I wanted to add my self into the success list of this card. PNY GTX 770 with Titan Cooler

Good to hear! as I was considering the same card (or quite similar, if it matters which brand ?) VGA MSI GeForce GTX770 2GB.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...g-i7-4930k-ga-x79-ud5-gtx-770-2gb-issues.html

I see, most of you are working in the 1150/ 1155 socket. Will the 2011 socket bring other issues so perhaps the same GTX 770 card won't work?

(So would you guys suggest the i7 4770K in my case as well? (for fast, stable, professional HD (2k) Editing/ rendering in Premiere pro/ After effects) Don't know anything about hacking (and can't afford a new mac pro 2013)

I had the same issue with system recognition on my GTX 780. Installing the nvidia drivers solved it.

Perhaps a stupid question, but how did you get the NVidea drivers as I don't see any Geforce 700 serie drivers for Mac on the Nvidea website?

Is the CUDA 100% supported (for Premiere Pro , etc?)
or will it be in the near future? because the 700 serie is also not listed in the Adobe premiere tech-specs (only 600 serie and Quadro)

It's a really good card. I just built a hack for a friend of mine who works in advertising (film director) and he shoots everything with the RED camera at 4K. You should just follow the buyers guide.

This is what I built for him (almost like my build):
Gigabyte z87x-ud5h
Intel 4770K Haswell
32Gb RAM G.Skill 2400Mhz CL10
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX770 OC 4Gb

...This is his first hackintosh. He saw me during the install process, which took about 20 minutes and he was so impressed of how straightforward it was. After a couple weeks, he still calls me every now and then to tell me how happy he is with his new computer saying that after a whole life of using superexpensive yet obsolete underequipped Mac Pros, he finally has a computer that can really handle the heavy work he does.

I also have a GTX770 2Gb but the ASUS one, cause I like the cooler and the build quality better. CUDA is completely supported on all of these new cards.

Just make sure you install the nvidia web drivers. After installing them, pay no attention to the nvidia preference panel because it doesn't work on hacks. After installing the nvidia drivers, you have to manually activate them by adding "nvda_drv=1" to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist under Kernel Flags. Otherwise the driver will be installed, but not activated.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0 nvda_drv=1</string>

I just built a hack for a friend of mine who works in advertising and shoots 4K. This is what I built for him: Gigabyte z87x-ud5h, Intel 4770K, 32Gb RAM G.Skill 2400Mhz CL10, Gigabyte Nvidia GTX770 OC 4Gb

This makes me SO happy!
  • Are you saying the 4770K is fast enough for 4K editing in Premiere Pro CS6 as well ?
  • If so I will wait for the GA-Z87-UD7 with Thunderbolt 2 This will work in nearby future, right?
  • Does the GTX 770 4GB makes a big difference for this purpose ? (Premiere will use the extra 2GB?)
  • 2400 Mhz Ram ? The mobo only supports up to 2100 Mhz? and the buyers guide always mentions 1600 Mhz Corsair Vengeance pro. Will more GHZ be used, and work perfect as well?

You should just follow the buyers guide.
The buyers guide does not mention many of your hardware yet, like GTX 770 4GB, other Ram with more Ghz,

Just make sure you install the nvidia web drivers.
This is strange, as there are no Nvidea Mac drivers available on their website for any of the GTX 700 serie.

The store that will build my computer contacted Nvidea, and they confirmed the GTX 770 it is not supported under Mac OSX (yet) So is the Card fully functioning? (with CUDA, etc) and where did you get the Nvidea drivers ?
Adobe premiere tech-specs also don't mention CUDA support for the 700 serie (yet) They do mention GTX 680

Are you saying the 4770K is fast enough for 4K editing in Premiere Pro CS6 as well ?
Right after we got it up and running, he didn't have his Final Cut disks with him, so we downloaded RedCine-X and quickly graded some native 4K RAW footage and some at higher frame rates. I'm no expert in video editing, but the timeline was smooth. Of course it wasn't real time at first, because for that you'd probably need a RED Rocket-X card, but after some pre-render, which was snappy, scrubbing the time line was very smooth even with color corrections applied. He also exported some clips in various codecs, some more compressed than others, and again, I'm not an expert, but he looked impressed.

If so I will wait for the GA-Z87-UD7 with Thunderbolt 2 This will work in nearby future, right?
99% certain that somebody will make those TB2 ports work in the rare case they don't work out of the box. If you need them, wait. I needed FW800 ports for tethering Phase One digital backs and had to get a 3rd party PCI card with FW ports. They worked out of the box.

Does the GTX 770 4GB makes a big difference for this purpose ? (Premiere will use the extra 2GB?)
I believe video editing is about the main scenario where you will benefit from having extra VRAM. Will 2 extra GB be a game changer... I doubt it.

2400 Mhz Ram ? The mobo only supports up to 2100 Mhz? and the buyers guide always mentions 1600 Mhz Corsair Vengeance pro. Will more GHZ be used, and work perfect as well?
2400Mhz works perfectly. Also, if you eventually decide to overclock the CPU to get a couple more months of use out of it in the future, you'll find yourself underclocking your DRAM to achieve system stability. It's best to get 2400Mhz ram that can confortably do 2133Mhz when the CPU is overclocked than getting 1600Mhz RAM and having to lower it to 1333 or less to get it to be stable. I'm no expert. I just found this 32Gb kit and it was reasonably priced. To be honest, RAM is so fast today that I believe the difference is unnoticeable. On benchmarks, the performance difference is ridiculous. This particular G.Skill RAM Kit is listed on Gigabyte's compatibility list.
On thing I have to warn you about. Enough of us are having problems with gigabyte z87 motherboards when all ram slots are in use. That is something we are dealing with on the Gigabyte forums. When all RAM slots are being used, there's been reports of OSX freezing (and blue screen in windows). It's a general thing, not a hackintosh thing. Had I known before I'd have gotten an ASUS, but ASUS mobos require flashing the bios, using a DSDT blblablabla, hackintosh stuff.... Gigabyte motherboards work out of the box.

The buyers guide does not mention many of your hardware yet, like GTX 770 4GB, other Ram with more Ghz,
The chip in the GPU is what is compatible. More video ram makes no difference in terms of compatibility. These overclocked versions of GTX cards all sport aftermarket coolers that run more efficiently and more silently than the stock cooler by nvidia. It's the lower noise that really makes the difference for someone working on the computer so many hours.
Also, Tonymacx86 is a website about making hackintoshing as simple as it gets. The buyers guide has been narrowed down to hardware that will work 100% so that you don't have to waste time and money testing other hardware. There are other websites about hackintoshing that cover the more complex scenarios, and after not too much forum reading you'll notice that people build hackintosh's out of just about anything. Pretty much everything in the market today is more or less compatible with OSX with some tweaking. Some even dare to go AMD instead of Intel. Why I don't know...

This is strange, as there are no Nvidea Mac drivers available on their website for any of the GTX 700 serie.
Many Quadro cards are based on the same Kepler or Fermi architecture of today's GTX cards and drivers are unified (one driver package works for all cards). Look for the latest one when you need it. It needs to match your Mountain Lion (Mavericks) version number. It'll probably be pinned on the first page of the Graphics subforum.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...-10-8-5-supplemental-update-313-01-03f02.html

The store that will build my computer contacted Nvidea, and they confirmed the GTX 770 it is not supported under Mac OSX (yet) So is the Card fully functioning? (with CUDA, etc) and where did you get the Nvidea drivers ?
Well, they always say that. GPU incompatibility with Mac Pros is almost a myth (as it is with hard drive, SSD and RAM compatibility, not considering EEC). If you mounted a GTX770 on a mac pro, it would work because it's natively supported by the OS with no "hackintoshing" required. Older versions of the OS and other cards did required a lot of tweaking and hours of forum reading in order to get them to work properly. This card worked out of the box with GraphicsEnabler=No (you'll figure out what that means eventually). Remember that the GTX770 is a cranked up GTX680 and it has the same GK104 chip. Only the GTX 780 and Titan have the newer GK110 chip, which also works perfectly on a hackintosh and in a real mac as well. New OSX versions are compatible with so much stuff that real macs don't even ship with... It's almost like hardware makers are designing their components so that their drivers work across the whole board to secretly help us hackintoshers. By Apple selling a computer with graphics card X, they accidentally made graphics card Y and Z fully compatible :).

Adobe premiere tech-specs also don't mention CUDA support for the 700 serie (yet) They do mention GTX 680
I just launched Premiere CC to check and Mercury works both via CUDA and OpenCL. If it didn't, all you'd have to do is simply adding the model number of your card in a text file in the premiere app folder to enable hardware processing (that happens in Windows and real Mac Pros as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back