Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Yosemite on GA-Z97X-UD3H / i7-4790K / GTX 960

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have the same CPU and Graphics Card and nearly the same Motherboard (GA-Z97X-UD5H) as yours and i now have the Yosemite installed (with just UniBeast and MultiBeast), but i have 3 problems, i just think i might be able to find the solution here.
  1. when OS X booting is done, at the Log in (where you enter the password) part, the screen would be shown in red color (literally bloody screen), and some flakes all over, but they are not moving. however i can still see information clearly. after logged in, it would be gone.
  2. I use a set of Logitech USB wireless mouse and keyboard (K260) for now, but when i plug anything else in the USB slot, my wireless mouse and keyboard will stop working. i have tried with another set (MK345), the problem is the same. also I tried other slots as well, but it just the same. it seems that the only solution is to unplug everything else and leave just the Mouse and keyboard on, but that's not a solution at all.
  3. I couldn't shut the computer down, i pressed the "shut down", but it only just quit the system, and every part of the hardware are still working just by the look of it.[

Especially the second one is already a big problem for me.

Cheers!

You are probably suffering from the dreaded "Haswell Freeze." The Haswell processors and motherboard chipsets have different/tighter specification than previous processors/chipsets. Make sure of the following:
  • Your memory is listed in the GA-Z97X-UD3H's Memory Support List, and
  • Your PSU is rated Haswell "ready" and "certified."
One or both of the above are causes of the "Haswell Freeze."

I'm having the same problem as him with random freezes, however I'm running 4 sticks of Kingston HyperX Fury White ram at 32gb. I've read that switching to the 'certified' ram sticks STILL causes problems.

Any suggestions of what else could be the problem? My build is the following:

Fractal Design Define R4 Case (White w/ Window)
Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK (F6 Bios)
Seasonic X650 Power Supply
Intel 4790K
Asus GTX 960 Strix 4GB
Intel 320 120gb SSD
32gb RAM (4x8gb Kingston HyperX Fury White)

I'm at work right now so not sure if the RAM is 1600mhz or 1866mhz. I should mention that when I created my USB installer of Yosemite 10.10.4 I selected USB Legacy Support (not sure if that changes much).

I'm running dual boot and Windows has NO problems at all with freezing and I game a lot on it.

I should note, I've been able to replicate the freezing by turning off my monitor. However, when I turn it off and back on, I get a short freeze and then the computer works fine. But if I turn it off and back on AGAIN, then it freezes completely. It's a Dell U2410 with my JBL USB Pebble speakers connect, a Samson Meteor mic, a Logitech MX518 mouse and my Apple keyboard, all through the monitor.

You are probably suffering from the dreaded "Haswell Freeze." The Haswell processors and motherboard chipsets have different/tighter specification than previous processors/chipsets. Make sure of the following:
  • Your memory is listed in the GA-Z97X-UD3H's Memory Support List, and
  • Your PSU is rated Haswell "ready" and "certified."
One or both of the above are causes of the "Haswell Freeze."
I'm having the same problem as him with random freezes, however I'm running 4 sticks of Kingston HyperX Fury White ram at 32gb. I've read that switching to the 'certified' ram sticks STILL causes problems.

Any suggestions of what else could be the problem? ...
The Haswell Freeze is mostly contributed to the non compatible memory and/or PSU. Did you confirm that those two components are Haswell compatible?

The Haswell Freeze is mostly contributed to the non compatible memory and/or PSU. Did you confirm that those two components are Haswell compatible?

My PSU is a Seasonic X650, it's definitely Haswell certified:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

I'm running Kingston Fury HyperX White 1866mhz RAM, 4 sticks at 8gb each:

HX318C10FWK2/16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5MP2YB4398

I've tried disabling C-States and upping the Voltage to 1.6V and it hasn't worked.

How do I know which RAM is 'compatible'.... and why would that matter? Isn't all RAM basically the same?

look on your motherboards Memory Support list!

then maybe sell it and the money you got from your old RAM put towards the new RAM :thumbup:

then maybe sell it and the money you got from your old RAM put towards the new RAM :thumbup:

Is buying 'supported' RAM guaranteed to work, more or less? I got a Kernel Panic earlier today, heres a snapshot:

http://i.imgur.com/70nLA00.jpg

Before trying to sell the RAM, would it not be worthwhile trying to reinstall OS X with system profile as an iMac instead of the Mac Pro 3,1 as well as updating the Bios to F7 from F6?

Also! Why does my computer never freeze up like this when running Windows 7? I can play games all day long, boot in and out, and nothing seems to be affected by it... but once I boot up OS X, it freezes up OFTEN.

WHY? What makes OS X go bat**** but Windows runs fine with this RAM?

you'd benefit better if you got supported RAM

you'd benefit better if you got supported RAM

Are you speaking from experience? If so, can you share your story?

I've removed two of the 8gb sticks for now and my uptime has been at 1.5 hours without a problem (going into sleep and out, plugging in mouse, and other peripherals, its been fine).

I had about 10 hours uptime with 32gb but had a freeze today and things started going bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back