Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Yosemite on GA-Z97X-UD3H / i7-4790K / GTX 960

Status
Not open for further replies.
What install method did you use? if you used unibeast can you tell me what options you used
-Thanks in advance :)

Did Energy23 every figure out what happened with the Kingstons? I used my memory support list for the GA-z97x-ud3h bk but I'm also confused. I went to G.Skills website and used their 'RAM configurator' and it says there are a lot more sticks that are supported on my mobo. Which list? Mobo's support list or RAM's support list?

Also, is there a big difference in using the Gigabyte 960 vs the EVGA 960?

Thanks... lurking, reading, and learning. All assistance is appreciated.

Did Energy23 every figure out what happened with the Kingstons? I used my memory support list for the GA-z97x-ud3h bk but I'm also confused. I went to G.Skills website and used their 'RAM configurator' and it says there are a lot more sticks that are supported on my mobo. Which list? Mobo's support list or RAM's support list?
We recommend your motherboard's Memory Support List information. IMO, the memory manufacturer list is by spec while the motherboard manufacturer usually tests specific make/model # which is why the list is smaller.

No. I perfer the Gigabyte cards because they have dual DVI connectors, and I use a KVM dual DVI switch to drive dual monitors.

We recommend your motherboard's Memory Support List information. IMO, the memory manufacturer list is by spec while the motherboard manufacturer usually tests specific make/model # which is why the list is smaller.

No. I perfer the Gigabyte cards because they have dual DVI connectors, and I use a KVM dual DVI switch to drive dual monitors.

Thank you... I saw some of the EVGA cards having two DVI connections as well. It seems that everything here is pretty 'model' specific. Which Gigabyte card do you use in the 960 price range? There are so many different varieties even within the '960' umbrella.

Thanks... lurking, reading, and learning. All assistance is appreciated.

I gave up on the 32gb route, and stuck to just 2x8gb sticks. OS X runs without a single problem with two sticks of RAM.. I had an uptime of about 10 days. I don't quite need 32gb RAM, only got extra because it was on sale. I may try updating BIOS and/or switch to El Capitan via Clover and see what happens, but I dont quite feel like doing that yet... took me a while to get the hackintosh up and running with all software installed. Hopefully it works out in the future, this RAM issue with Gigabyte motherboards is effing embarrassing, it's not just a hackintosh problem.

Thank you... I saw some of the EVGA cards having two DVI connections as well. It seems that everything here is pretty 'model' specific. Which Gigabyte card do you use in the 960 price range? There are so many different varieties even within the '960' umbrella.
My newest Gigabyte card is the GTX 750 Ti, the entry level Maxwell chipset card as my graphics requirements are easily satisfied by that card. (See my signature block for more information on the GTX 750 Ti.) However, look at the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide for one of the Gigabyte's cards with the dual DVI connectors. Since I don't play demanding games, I don't need super OC cards, but I do want a card dual DVI connectors. And Gigabyte is in the first tier of well designed/engineered graphics cards, IMO.

I gave up on the 32gb route, and stuck to just 2x8gb sticks. OS X runs without a single problem with two sticks of RAM.. I had an uptime of about 10 days. I don't quite need 32gb RAM, only got extra because it was on sale. I may try updating BIOS and/or switch to El Capitan via Clover and see what happens, but I dont quite feel like doing that yet... took me a while to get the hackintosh up and running with all software installed. Hopefully it works out in the future, this RAM issue with Gigabyte motherboards is effing embarrassing, it's not just a hackintosh problem.

So the Kingstons are working? When I first started reading about all this, 'people' said just buy the ones that you think look the coolest. Then, I started doing more research and I guess I'll just stick with the Memory Support List, then. Oh... and what RAM issue? I'm not too familiar with GA boards having an issue with memory....

My newest Gigabyte card is the GTX 750 Ti, the entry level Maxwell chipset card as my graphics requirements are easily satisfied by that card. (See my signature block for more information on the GTX 750 Ti.) However, look at the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide for one of the Gigabyte's cards with the dual DVI connectors. Since I don't play demanding games, I don't need super OC cards, but I do want a card dual DVI connectors. And Gigabyte is in the first tier of well designed/engineered graphics cards, IMO.

I don't do much gaming either but I did want to be able to run two 'old school' 19" 1600x1200 monitors. Does 750Ti work OOB?

Thanks, all.

So the Kingstons are working? When I first started reading about all this, 'people' said just buy the ones that you think look the coolest. Then, I started doing more research and I guess I'll just stick with the Memory Support List, then. Oh... and what RAM issue? I'm not too familiar with GA boards having an issue with memory....

They definitely work, but.. I have a Kingston HyperX Fury White RAM. 32gb total; 4x8gb. If all 4 RAM slots on the motherboard are filled, OS X freezes at some point, either at boot, a few seconds after logging into OS X, a few hours later or even a day later. Windows 7, on the other hand, works 100% perfectly with 4 sticks of RAM.

Isolating it to just 2 sticks fixes the freezing in OS X, but I'm now down to only 16gb of RAM which begs the question; what am I to do with the other 16gb? And what happens when 16gb isn't enough??

This 4-stick RAM issue is a well known problem with many Gigabyte motherboards, if you go to other forums you'll see others are having similar problems on Windows as well. Gigabyte needs to do something about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back