Contribute
Register

[Success] Skylake Z170-A, i7-6700K, GTX 980 TI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update to my last post I've manged to get everything up and running. I am currently trying to get the audio to work. It worked via the front headphone jack on my case before, however while trying to fix it for the mb jack in the back which I use for my speakers I seem to have messed it up for the jack on my case.

Moreover videos aren't playing for me anymore. They did before but not anymore. Any help is appreciated!

Hello, firstly, thank you for this build guide. I was hoping I was going to find a Z170-A guide when I went building this computer, and yours is pretty straightforward, but I seem to have ran into a issue:

I followed every step to the T, and OSX does boot from my Disk without the USB. Only odd problem is, while everything from audio to video is working perfectly, Internet is not working. But on USB, it is working, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong, as I installed the latest Intel drivers from the Downloads Kext page, and put them in Library/Extensions (I'm currently typing this from the USB boot, as currently the other computer is undergoing a upgrade as well.)

Any help would be appreciated. It's been awhile since I've hackintoshed, so it's good to be back again

EDIT: Well silly me, I didn't realize that just moving the kext to the folder would properly install them, using Kextbeast I was able to get internet working, so disregard. :)

EDIT 2 Electric Bugaloo: And I thought I'd ask, but is HWSensors (I'm a paranoia for that kind of stuff.) working at all, or is it still crashing? I can't seem to find a definite answer, or a good alternative for that matter

Hello,

I've made some changes to the original guide:

1. Installed BIOS 1602 and removed the UART Fix since it was no longer necessary.

2. Used the iMac 17.1 definition because it is a platform with Skylake. After changing the definition on the config.plist and rebooting the monitors went to sleep, so I had to do the 4th point fix (method 2) on this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/161256-solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.html
There is no need to use kext-dev-mode=1 and the RAM was detected without a problem.

3. Finally I disabled the pstate generation on config.plist and generated a custom SSDT file using Piker's Alpha ssdtPRGen.sh BETA. You have the guide here http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/177456-quick-guide-generate-ssdt-cpu-power-management.html

It is important to use the beta branch instead of the master branch the guide says. Then I copied the generated SSDT to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/

Everything works fine, I'm working with the computer and its solid. Maybe I'll continue changing and testing things if I have time.

I re-installed and checked bios settings per guide and am very happy to report a success! Many many thanks to crumbier, tonymac86, and I would be remiss if I didn't mention the writers of the other guides that I tried. Many thanks guys!

The main purpose of this mod was for video editing and will report back any issues that pop up. Still testing USB ports and other functionality. Only know issue: is not accurately reporting ram. I have 32 it shows 16 gb. I thought I read its just cosmetic. Can anyone confirm this?

I plan to upgrade the GTX 760 soon. :thumbup:

Only know issue: is not accurately reporting ram. I have 32 it shows 16 gb. I thought I read its just cosmetic. Can anyone confirm this?
I don't know, mine reports fine. You can specify in the config.plist the amount of ram you have so it gets well recognized always.

By the way since I made all the changes described on my last post I haven't got any more sound or network issues. I'm going to make a backup of the SSD since the system is stable now.

I had success too. I have the Sabertooth Z170 Mark I, though. No real issues. I'm on 1602, running a GTX 970. The only real issue was audio, which took some fiddling. The Mark I uses the ALC 1150 as opposed to the 892, and the config.plist needed to be modified for that. Also I have disabled the UART patch as well, with no issues.

It should also be noted that after post-installation, I reverted my BIOS settings to what they were for Windows, minus secure boot, and it boots and runs great.

Hello,

I've made some changes to the original guide:

1. Installed BIOS 1602 and removed the UART Fix since it was no longer necessary.

2. Used the iMac 17.1 definition because it is a platform with Skylake. After changing the definition on the config.plist and rebooting the monitors went to sleep, so I had to do the 4th point fix on this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/161256-solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.html
There is no need to use kext-dev-mode=1 and the RAM was detected without a problem.

3. Finally I disabled the pstate generation on config.plist and generated a custom SSDT file using Piker's Alpha ssdtPRGen.sh BETA. You have the guide here http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/177456-quick-guide-generate-ssdt-cpu-power-management.html

It is important to use the beta branch instead of the master branch the guide says. Then I copied the generated SSDT to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/

Everything works fine, I'm working with the computer and its solid. Maybe I'll continue changing and testing things if I have time.

I've improved a bit more the build. The sound had two problems:

- Microphone didn't work.
- There was no sound after sleep. With CodecCommander there was sound but with a lot of distortion.

To fix this I've changed the following part in config.plist:

Code:
<key>Devices</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Audio</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Inject</key>
            <string>2</string>

to:

Code:
<key>Devices</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Audio</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Inject</key>
            <string>1</string>

So inject now has a value of 1.

Now the microphone works and installing the first fix from this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/151504-no-audio-after-sleep-wake-realtek-alc-applehda-fixes.html (CodecCommander from Rehabman) the audio works after sleep :)

If I make any more changes I'll keep you updated.

Thnx a lot for thread.
Such speed, much graphics

Is there a possibility to get AI Suite 3 working...?

I happen to have this exact build. I follow the exact instructions with OS X El Captain 10.11.3, after I boot the USB it doesn't hang, it loads past halfway through and then just shows a big white Ø. I tried running in verbose and safe mode, but whenever the Ø appears the text becomes unreadable.

If anyone can help me get OS X El Captain 10.11.3 working with this exact build, then that'd be fantastic!

@V I had same then went back and followed bios setup EXACTLY and it did as described flashed gray screen went back to loading then language screen. Recommend checking that first. Also, I think filling out your bio with system specs is mandatory and helpful for the guys with alot more experience (not me) see what your setup is. Hope its that simple. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back