Contribute
Register

[Success] Skylake Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, i5-6600, GTX 1070 (Clover/High Sierra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext in FakeSMC Plugins v6.25-333-g05e0f4be.1759 is NOT compatible with NVIDIA Pascal graphics cards. If you do not delete it from /Library/Extensions your system will kernel panic on boot.
Hi, the only way I could find to delete a kext in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other is to do so from a Windows installation on the same machine. I'm repeating the instructions here by matrixhaj below (which I've tested myself):

1) Open a command prompt as admin in Windows
1.1) run the command diskpart
1.2) In diskpart - list disk, then select disk X (use correct number, and select your macOS drive)
1.3) In diskpart - list partition, then select partition X (correct number, should be 200MB partition)
1.4) In diskpart - assign letter=x
1.5) Efi is now mounted, but explorer wont allow you open it (stupid windows rights). Open notepad AS ADMIN, File ->open ->navigate to efi/clover/kexts/Other (yes, this will trick windows rights, lol)
1.6) Delete FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext file (still in notepad open window)

At this point, I recommend making a Clover USB Drive, with a working configuration of Clover. You need to format a spare USB Drive to FAT32, then you can use the Clover installer on it. Once that's done, delete the EFI folder on the USB Stick, and copy the (hopefully) now working one from the EFI folder on your macOS drive to it. And then make sure the USB Drive can boot macOS. I use F8 on startup, then select the USB drive to boot.

Also, this is why some people recommend installing any extra kexts you might use, to S/L/E (System/Library/Extensions), but I feel this isn't necessary if you use a backup Clover drive. If you haven't got a Windows installation on the same drive, and so can't proceed with the steps above, get back to me and we can try a different method to get macOS working again.

Hi, the only way I could find to delete a kext in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other is to do so from a Windows installation on the same machine. I'm repeating the instructions here by matrixhaj below (which I've tested myself):

1) Open a command prompt as admin in Windows
1.1) run the command diskpart
1.2) In diskpart - list disk, then select disk X (use correct number, and select your macOS drive)
1.3) In diskpart - list partition, then select partition X (correct number, should be 200MB partition)
1.4) In diskpart - assign letter=x
1.5) Efi is now mounted, but explorer wont allow you open it (stupid windows rights). Open notepad AS ADMIN, File ->open ->navigate to efi/clover/kexts/Other (yes, this will trick windows rights, lol)
1.6) Delete FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext file (still in notepad open window)

At this point, I recommend making a Clover USB Drive, with a working configuration of Clover. You need to format a spare USB Drive to FAT32, then you can use the Clover installer on it. Once that's done, delete the EFI folder on the USB Stick, and copy the (hopefully) now working one from the EFI folder on your macOS drive to it. And then make sure the USB Drive can boot macOS. I use F8 on startup, then select the USB drive to boot.

Also, this is why some people recommend installing any extra kexts you might use, to S/L/E (System/Library/Extensions), but I feel this isn't necessary if you use a backup Clover drive. If you haven't got a Windows installation on the same drive, and so can't proceed with the steps above, get back to me and we can try a different method to get macOS working again.
@pbryanw
Hi, thanks for the reply. I do not have Windows loaded on this machine I have not gotten to that step yet. LOL. I been trying to get this macOS install done.

@pbryanw
Hi, thanks for the reply. I do not have Windows loaded on this machine I have not gotten to that step yet. LOL. I been trying to get this macOS install done.
Ok, I've think I've got it now - it just involves some terminal commands and booting your macOS drive into safe mode (I've also tested this on my PC and it works, so hopefully it should work on yours):

1. Hold down any key on your keyboard at PC startup, to boot into the Clover boot screen. Go to your macOS installation using the arrow keys, then press spacebar.
2. From the following boot options, use spacebar to select safe mode, choose return at the bottom of the list, then press return again to boot into your macOS drive.
3. After a longer wait than usual, you should now be booted into your macOS install.
4. Open Terminal (this is in your Utilities drawer, under the Applications folder) and type the following commands one-by-one (many thanks to Rehabman in this thread for this):
Code:
sudo mkdir /kexts
sudo cp -RX /System/Library/Extensions/msdosfs.kext /kexts
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add :OSBundleRequired string" /kexts/msdosfs.kext/Contents/Info.plist
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :OSBundleRequired \"Safe Boot\"" /kexts/msdosfs.kext/Contents/Info.plist
5. Then to finish type: sudo kextutil /kexts/msdosfs.kext
6. Next run this command from terminal: diskutil list
7. Then: sudo mkdir /Volumes/efi
8. Finally: sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/efi
Where /dev/disk0s1 is your macOS efi partition (in the attached pic, mine is /dev/disk1s1)
9. Now your efi & Clover folder should be mounted in Finder, so delete the problem FakeSMC Nvidia kext from Clover/kexts/Other and reboot

Then I would recommend creating the Clover USB Stick for backup purposes. And get back to me if you have any problems with the commands above.

Attachments

• Terminal.png
    Terminal.png
    91.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Ok, I've think I've got it now - it just involves some terminal commands and booting your macOS drive into safe mode (I've also tested this on my PC and it works, so hopefully it should work on yours):

1. Hold down any key on your keyboard at PC startup, to boot into the Clover boot screen. Go to your macOS installation using the arrow keys, then press spacebar.
2. From the following boot options, use spacebar to select safe mode, choose return at the bottom of the list, then press return again to boot into your macOS drive.
3. After a longer wait than usual, you should now be booted into your macOS install.
4. Open Terminal (this is in your Utilities drawer, under the Applications folder) and type the following commands one-by-one (many thanks to Rehabman in this thread for this):
Code:
sudo mkdir /kexts
sudo cp -RX /System/Library/Extensions/msdosfs.kext /kexts
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add :OSBundleRequired string" /kexts/msdosfs.kext/Contents/Info.plist
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :OSBundleRequired \"Safe Boot\"" /kexts/msdosfs.kext/Contents/Info.plist
5. Then to finish type: sudo kextutil /kexts/msdosfs.kext
6. Next run this command from terminal: diskutil list
7. Then: sudo mkdir /Volumes/efi
8. Finally: sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/efi
Where /dev/disk0s1 is your macOS efi partition (in the attached pic, mine is /dev/disk1s1)
9. Now your efi & Clover folder should be mounted in Finder, so delete the problem FakeSMC Nvidia kext from Clover/kexts/Other and reboot

Then I would recommend creating the Clover USB Stick for backup purposes. And get back to me if you have any problems with the commands above.

First, thank you @pbryanw and @RehabMan for your assistance. I was able to successfully follow your process and remove the FakeGPU Kext from my system. I am able to boot back to mac with no problems. Thanks!

Is there a thread that can walk me through the Clover USB Stick back process?

Yes, I've checked and either string or integer should be fine - just add Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext for onboard sound to work. I've also attached a picture of what your sound preferences should look like in macOS after this has been done (ignore the Audioengine device as it is just a USB sound card attached to my PC).[/QUOTE]

So I did this process a couple times, loaded the kext's files and double checked my config.plist file and still no sound. Also, made sure the BIOS HD Audio onboard configuration was set to enabled, good there. Nothing. Weird. We have the same MB.

So I did this process a couple times, loaded the kext's files and double checked my config.plist file and still no sound. Also, made sure the BIOS HD Audio onboard configuration was set to enabled, good there. Nothing. Weird. We have the same MB.
Hi, apologies - this is my fault, there is one more step needed to get sound working, and there are two ways to achieve this. Firstly you can put the DSDT.aml attached to this post in your Clover -> ACPI -> patched folder, and reboot.

The other way, which may be slightly safer, is to add this patch to your config.plist's ACPI section (then reboot):
Code:
<key>DSDT</key>
<dict>
       <key>Patches</key>
       <array>
               <dict>
                     <key>Comment</key>
                     <string>Rename HDAS to HDEF</string>
                     <key>Find</key>
                     <data>
                     SERBUw==
                     </data>
                     <key>Replace</key>
                     <data>
                     SERFRg==
                     </data>
               </dict>
      </array>
</dict>
However, before you begin it might worth creating the Clover boot stick before proceeding. I'll start a new post for this.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    142.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
To create a Clover USB Boot Stick, you can follow the instructions in this post:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/test-drive-how-to-create-a-clover-usb.127134/

However, when you reach step 15 (following the installation for the UEFI Boot Mode), under Drivers64UEFI select just the two options:
  • EmuVariableUefi-64
  • OsxAptioFix2Drv-64
After completing installation of the stick, we are going to mount your macOS' EFI partition (if it's not already mounted) and copy this EFI folder to the newly created Clover USB stick. So:
  1. Download the EFI Mounter app attached to this post. You do not need to use this if Clover already mounts your EFI partition at startup.
  2. Unzip, and place in Applications folder.
  3. Open, and this app should be straight-forward to use - navigate to your macOS drive then select "Mount EFI".
  4. Once the EFI partition is mounted, go back to your Clover USB drive with its newly created EFI folder
  5. Delete this EFI folder
  6. Then copy across the EFI folder from your macOS' EFI partition to the Clover USB Stick
  7. Go into EFI -> Clover -> config.plist in the newly created EFI folder on your USB Stick
  8. And under the Boot section change timeout to 10
    Code:
    <key>Timeout</key><integer>10</integer>
Now reboot your PC and hold F8 to show a list of drives attached to your system. Select the newly created Clover USB Stick (you will be shown a list of the manufacturer's drive names here). Then navigate to your macOS drive, press return, and see if macOS loads.

There are two ways you can use this new Clover USB Stick - you can make changes on the stick, see if they work, then copy back the changes to the main EFI folder on your macOS EFI partition. Or you can use it as a backup, with all changes made to the EFI folder on your macOS drive, and the USB Stick for when/if it you make a critical error that prevents macOS from loading.

Attachments

• EFI Mounter 1_2_3.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:
@pbryanw The Bluetooth problem is still driving me crazy. Still not showing up under my hardware profile. I took a picture of where I plugged in my wire. Not sure what else it could be, maybe a bad wire or card?

It's the 9 pin on the very right, the one on the left is for my Corsair Hydro Cooler. Wireless is working great!IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

To create a Clover USB Boot Stick, you can follow the instructions in this post:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/test-drive-how-to-create-a-clover-usb.127134/

However, when you reach step 15 (following the installation for the UEFI Boot Mode), under Drivers64UEFI select just the two options:
  • EmuVariableUefi-64
  • OsxAptioFix2Drv-64
After completing installation of the stick, we are going to mount your macOS' EFI partition (if it's not already mounted) and copy this EFI folder to the newly created Clover USB stick. So:
  1. Download the EFI Mounter app attached to this post. You do not need to use this if Clover already mounts your EFI partition at startup.
  2. Unzip, and place in Applications folder.
  3. Open, and this app should be straight-forward to use - navigate to your macOS drive then select "Mount EFI".
  4. Once the EFI partition is mounted, go back to your Clover USB drive with its newly created EFI folder
  5. Delete this EFI folder
  6. Then copy across the EFI folder from your macOS' EFI partition to the Clover USB Stick
  7. Go into EFI -> Clover -> config.plist in the newly created EFI folder on your USB Stick
  8. And under the Boot section change timeout to 10
    Code:
    <key>Timeout</key><integer>10</integer>
Now reboot your PC and hold F8 to show a list of drives attached to your system. Select the newly created Clover USB Stick (you will be shown a list of the manufacturer's drive names here). Then navigate to your macOS drive, press return, and see if macOS loads.

There are two ways you can use this new Clover USB Stick - you can make changes on the stick, see if they work, then copy back the changes to the main EFI folder on your macOS EFI partition. Or you can use it as a backup, with all changes made to the EFI folder on your macOS drive, and the USB Stick for when/if it you make a critical error that prevents macOS from loading.

@pbryanw Thanks! This is a great tool! I was able to load it and test it out. I see how using the USB boot method to test is a safer way to test out config/file changes.

@brennan.ruth0723 - Regarding bluetooth, I've read that you can have problems with this if your BCM94360CD card's bluetooth is not completely authentic and a match for Apple's. Maybe there are two possible ways to get it working though. First though, check you have attached all aerials to the card, and have one last go at making sure the USB cable is inserted properly (it looks ok from the picture you posted).

First is BrcmPatchRAM - More reading here, and I would use the Rehabman fork and download from Bitbucket. Looks like you will need BrcmPatchRAM2.kext & BrcmFirmwareData.kext

Next is FakePCIID - Again read up here, and use the FakePCIID.kext with FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext (You can use KextBeast, available in Downloads on Tonymacx86, to install these kexts).

I personally haven't used these solutions, as my bluetooth works well, so these may or may not work for you. And remember to only use one solution at a a time, so if FakePCIID doesn't work for you, remove its kexts from S/L/E or Clover/kexts/Other and try BrcmPatchRAM, and vice versa.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back