Contribute
Register

[Success] OpenCore 0.6.8 on my Mac Pro build

Status
Not open for further replies.
well the bless override issue is gone - windows drive icon that when picked I gather selects opencore.efi or bootx64.efi causing the critical error if you accidently pick it

I had the same issue after clearing NVRAM - Windows took over
UEFI OS Samsung 970 disappeared after nvram reset
Don't see the OpenCore option anymore either - that may take a few reboots
its like my computer only see's windows unless I remove the Microsoft folder from the EFI folder and put back after UEFI sees the UEFI OS (OpenCore)

Microsoft you do not own my computer quit trying to take it over

oh one of my reboots - lost msdos partition mount - also other weird things happened nothing that broke anything

well the bless override issue is gone - windows drive icon that when picked I gather selects opencore.efi or bootx64.efi causing the critical error if you accidently pick it

I had the same issue after clearing NVRAM - Windows took over
UEFI OS Samsung 970 disappeared after nvram reset
Don't see the OpenCore option anymore either - that may take a few reboots
its like my computer only see's windows unless I remove the Microsoft folder from the EFI folder and put back after UEFI sees the UEFI OS (OpenCore)

Microsoft you do not own my computer quit trying to take it over

oh one of my reboots - lost msdos partition mount - also other weird things happened nothing that broke anything

Oh my goodness!!! Seems like you got a right handful there, make sure CSM is disable in the BIOS as this setting is normally for a windows legacy install if I remember correctly and windows 8/10 features is set to windows 8/10 WHQL which should stop the quirky behaviour at boot.

I have CSM and VT-D disabled those are two I remember from doing my haswell system
I had it to Other OS to see if that would bypass the Windows take over

then set it for windows 8/10 none WHQL no issues
WHQL causes motherboard logo to shrink

I need a basic jped editor to modify logo I use in motherboard
due to how they expect the logo to be done it not centered even though the logo I use is 300x300 which causes it to be above center and the apple logo with progress bar is more centered
the original AUROS logo is 600w x 800h
oh if I try a 600x600 logo its huge - scaled down from a 900x900
I give you one guess which logo I am using

About Mac

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 2.41.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 2.41.22 AM.png
    372.7 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Wonder if I can edit the Apple logo on the menu bar so it is the same

You wont believe this
No success with the apple menu icon so far even though I have found where the icons supposedly reside

but

When it turns on full gui or whatever they call it, on mine progress bar disappears and comes back

I get colored apple logo for a second or so at that point - nice effect but not what I was expecting

Computer now has water cooling

EVGA 360 All In One - Closed Loop Cooler

if I remember right 40-52C air cooled
Now 35C

Last edited:
Whenever I reset nvram is when I get into trouble

Only Windows boot loader shows up
Requiring me to use usb to boot
Temporarily remove Microsoft folder
Reboot then the UEFI OS Samsung 970 show up as a boot option select it OpenCore loads no problem but have to have picker on or it self picks itself causing the same critical error as when accidentally picking the windows icon with bless override entry empty

This is normal. There are more variables than those stored my macOS in NVRAM (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HTCBwfOBkXsHiK7os3b2CUc6k68axdJYdGl-TyXqLu0/edit#gid=0). With a reset, expect a full reset. Which means going back into the BIOS and setting OC's boot loader first (because Windows will always try to take over).

You also need to set the following variable depending on your Windows install location in OC:

PlatformInfo/Generic/AdviseWindows

If that is not set correctly, Windows will always push its BL to the foreground making it impossible to load OC before Windows (unless you correct that each time as you reboot Windows to load another OC boot loader).

Alternatively, to troubleshoot or fix this, it's better to use BOOTICE in Windows to map your UEFI loaders correctly which is not necessary anymore provided you set up your config and system properly. All that's going on here is Windows trying to take and always keep it's chain loader as primary.

With regards to dealing with this problem, NVRAM or no, you will never lose the OC boot loader. If there comes a time when it won't post, then just pull up your BIOS' BL and select OC's respective chain loader from there. This is somewhat touched on in the latest Doc.

I'm on a z390 running this SMBIOS and have no issues with OC 0.5.9 (cd25e1e3d2fe266814f4940ee84ce821be01ebdc) after clearing NVRAM. You should double check your config as these may be bugs from larger issues with your EFI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back