Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Ongoing Status of Designare Z390 with i7-9700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey. Just an FYI. Got through 99% of the CCC backup and got this as the final from Terminal

"[Wed Jun 19 20:30:13 PDT 2019] - CCC did not exit with success, the EFI Clone Script will not run"
Looking hopeful... Are you using EFIClone-v2.sh?

Looking hopeful... Are you using EFIClone-v2.sh?

Yes. Directly copied from your download and installed as instructed.

UPDATE:
Installed 10.14.5. The install was relatively seamless, but did have to run though it twice.
After install and reboot, I added all my peripherals, including external USB SSD drives. One of the drives was the CCC backup and I plugged it in to Yellow USB ports. Again, the pulsing. power on and off. But every couple of seconds.
And just now, my other USB SSD did the same.
There are some differences to your System Report and IOreg, and I am posting images for evaluation.
I followed everything to a T.
I've also added a screenshot from Clover Kexts that indicates some differences.
I'm puzzled.
Also, was the EFI you sent me previously custom built for 10.14.3? Something I just noticed in Clover ACPI of current build. Instead of "SATO to SATA", I see "change MEI to IMEI".
I've also included current EFI from 14.5 build.
Thanks. This is crazy.

Attachments

• IOReg XHC.png
    IOReg XHC.png
    413.7 KB · Views: 82
  • System Network.png
    System Network.png
    148.9 KB · Views: 72
  • System PCI.png
    System PCI.png
    159.1 KB · Views: 76
  • System SATA.png
    System SATA.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 75
  • System USB.png
    System USB.png
    186.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Kernel:Kext USB?.png
    Kernel:Kext USB?.png
    159.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Clover ACPI 14.5.png
    Clover ACPI 14.5.png
    162.1 KB · Views: 90
  • EFI.zip
    21.1 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Yes. Directly copied from your download and installed as instructed.

UPDATE:
Installed 10.14.5. The install was relatively seamless, but did have to run though it twice.
After install and reboot, I added all my peripherals, including external USB SSD drives. One of the drives was the CCC backup and I plugged it in to Yellow USB ports. Again, the pulsing. power on and off. But every couple of seconds.
And just now, my other USB SSD did the same.
There are some differences to your System Report and IOreg, and I am posting images for evaluation.
I followed everything to a T.
I've also added a screenshot from Clover Kexts that indicates some differences.
I'm puzzled.
Also, was the EFI you sent me previously custom built for 10.14.3? Something I just noticed in Clover ACPI of current build. Instead of "SATO to SATA", I see "change MEI to IMEI".
I've also included current EFI from 14.5 build.
Thanks. This is crazy.
Several comments:
  • If you re-download the same EFI zip file (link here), you'll see that ACPI has always been "Change SAT0 to SATA".
  • Do you have Windows on this system? Or Linux?
    • It might be worth installing Windows 10 or Linux (e.g. Ubuntu 18.04 or 19.04) to see if USB devices still misbehave.
    • If so, we can conclude there is a hardware problem.

Several comments:
  • If you re-download the same EFI zip file (link here), you'll see that ACPI has always been "Change SAT0 to SATA".
  • Do you have Windows on this system? Or Linux?
    • It might be worth installing Windows 10 or Linux (e.g. Ubuntu 18.04 or 19.04) to see if USB devices still misbehave.
    • If so, we can conclude there is a hardware problem.
The ACPI difference is very strange. Not quite sure how that happened when I was very specific and went over my work. Another strange thing that happened when I was working in clover was that initially when I was doing the post install setup, there were no ACPI patches. I had to re-open config.plist with Clover and check again. There it was.
I may have to check with Windows. I'll have to do the load and check it. But that is for another day. This has set me back in my work.
Thank you for all your time, thus far. I have to see if I can complete the day.

15 minutes later when booting up a work session, this is what I see...below.
Something is very wrong.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 3.52.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 3.52.58 PM.png
    990.4 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
The ACPI difference is very strange. Not quite sure how that happened when I was very specific and went over my work. Another strange thing that happened when I was working in clover was that initially when I was doing the post install setup, there were no ACPI patches. I had to re-open config.plist with Clover and check again. There it was.
I may have to check with Windows. I'll have to do the load and check it. But that is for another day. This has set me back in my work.
Thank you for all your time, thus far. I have to see if I can complete the day.
Best,
Clover Configurator can get confused if two EFI partitions are open at the same time! Always good to have a single EFI partition mounted when using Clover Configurator.

Do you have a powered USB hub? Maybe that's worth a try as a short-term hack.

The reason:
  • There are 2 parts to a USB connection:
    • Data (on two pins -- D+ and D-)
    • Power (on two point -- +5V and GND)
  • If the USB devices are pulsing (i.e. connection is being dropped and reestablished) then the problem might be unstable power delivery.
    • In this case, a powered USB hub might work because only D+ and D- will be connected to the computer; +5V and GND will come from the powered hub.
    • It must be a powered hub with its own power supply...
  • If powered hub works, we can conclude that USB power delivery is malfunctioning -- at least in macOS. It would then be good to test it in Windows or Linux.
  • If powered USB hub also FAILS, then USB data connection (D+ and D-) might be broken.
    • This would indicate a problem with the USB controller
  • However, you can also try using the two USB-C (Thunderbolt) connectors via USB-C to USB-A cables. Those two ports are controlled by a completely different controller (XHC5 instead of XHC).

Clover Configurator can get confused if two EFI partitions are open at the same time! Always good to have a single EFI partition mounted when using Clover Configurator.

Do you have a powered USB hub? Maybe that's worth a try as a short-term hack.

The reason:
  • There are 2 parts to a USB connection:
    • Data (on two pins -- D+ and D-)
    • Power (on two point -- +5V and GND)
  • If the USB devices are pulsing (i.e. connection is being dropped and reestablished) then the problem might be unstable power delivery.
    • In this case, a powered USB hub might work because only D+ and D- will be connected to the computer; +5V and GND will come from the powered hub.
    • It must be a powered hub with its own power supply...
  • If powered hub works, we can conclude that USB power delivery is malfunctioning -- at least in macOS. It would then be good to test it in Windows or Linux.
  • If powered USB hub also FAILS, then USB data connection (D+ and D-) might be broken.
    • This would indicate a problem with the USB controller
  • However, you can also try using the two USB-C (Thunderbolt) connectors via USB-C to USB-A cables. Those two ports are controlled by a completely different controller (XHC5 instead of XHC).

That's lol worth a try, but now Thunderbolt is being funky. Below is what my second monitor is getting from Thunderbolt.

Attachments

• 4BC8B6D1-30B0-4758-904B-9076EDD782F4.jpeg
    4BC8B6D1-30B0-4758-904B-9076EDD782F4.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 68
That's lol worth a try, but now Thunderbolt is being funky. Below is what my second monitor is getting from Thunderbolt.
And now...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 80
And now...
Someone was encountering random crashes for the past couple of days, but after connecting 3 power connectors, his system is stable. He connected:
  • The long 24-pin ATX connector on the right side.
  • The 8-pin (ATX_12V_2x4) connector at the top.
  • The 4-pin (ATX_12V_2x2) connector just left of the 8-pin connector.
I've had all 3 connected since day 1. Worth a try?

Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 11.20.49 AM.png

Someone was encountering random crashes for the past couple of days, but after connecting 3 power connectors, his system is stable. He connected:
  • The long 24-pin ATX connector on the right side.
  • The 8-pin (ATX_12V_2x4) connector at the top.
  • The 4-pin (ATX_12V_2x2) connector just left of the 8-pin connector.
I've had all 3 connected since day 1. Worth a try?

View attachment 412514
Thanks CSJ! I've had them all connected since day one as well.
I'm on the Machine right now and with nothing connected but a monitor and wireless mouse and keyboard, everything seems fine.
It's when I connected the Thunderbolt to a second monitor that everything took a dive.

I wonder, could you check the IORegistry file and EFI(included now) just to make sure I have the correct drivers in the right places? I don't know what your time is like, but I would appreciate your having a look.
Also, the XHC is not the same as what you posted in your screenshots. There are missing ports, etc.
It seems to me that when I connected to Thunderbolt, the power distribution changed. Not sure if there's a software conflict, or a hardware issue.
I'm running an AMD RX 580 8 GB and could run both monitors from that. But I'm more concerned about losing the Thunderbolt functionality for my peripherals as well.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    21.2 MB · Views: 80
  • Mojo iMac.ioreg
    13.8 MB · Views: 78
@bluesatyr,

Because you have an RX 580, it is better to use headless platform ID 0x3E980003 to turn off video output from the iGPU. This will allow various A/V apps to run without crashing -- including Final Cut Pro and iMovie. The attached config.plist contains this change.

If you must drive a monitor through the iGPU (using either the two Thunderbolt 3 ports or the HDMI port on rear I/O panel), then let me know and I'll revise the config.plist for platform ID 0x3E9B0007 and inject connector patches.

Attachments

• config.plist
    9.7 KB · Views: 84
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back